Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Things i may not know about doing a season in NZ

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Well the title says it all.

People have any tips on how to go about getting a job/visas etc. Useful info etc allgreatly appreciated
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In NZ at the moment. Given the number of people working in bars, hotels, ski shops etc who are from the UK there cannot be too much difficulty. Have a look at the visa section of the NZ government website. I would decide what sort of job you want/are qualified to do and send some e-mails out. Accomodation is not that cheap relative to salary but there are quite a lot of people who house share so I think you should be able to get something.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Take a look at the www.nzski.co.nz website. They are owners of 3 of the main ski areas in the South Island and take on staff from other countries including the UK. They should be able to make the process a little easier. I worked a number of seasons in Methven, the base town for Mt Hutt and really enjoyed it. It is not for everyone, the town is small but very social, and the skiing can be good. Some people prefer the busier resorts of Queenstown and Wanaka, but these are a lot more expensive. Do not expect anything like a large European resort however, all the NZ resorts are small by comparison. If you wish to find work away from the mountain (bars etc.) look out for really cheap earlybird ski passes. You can get a superpass that covers all 3 of the nzski ski areas at a good price - if you buy it early, then you could please yourself which town to work in once you got there.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You may not ski/ride as much as you'd like to / be used to having done seasons in Europe or N America.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all very much for replies so far. Very helpful indeed. Anybody been to toroa (sp?) on the north island? I have a mate currently there as a ski instructor
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Things you may not know....

Errmm, the ski season is June - September, as opposed to December - April.....don't, whatever you do, get that bit wrong, otherwise you'll be very disappointed Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My niece just came home from a season in Queenstown. She and BF found accommodation hard to find, expensive, grotty and very cold. They spent their first few weeks in a poorly insulated caravan with mould. An expensive, poorly insulated caravan.....but she said it was better than the hostel. She slept in full thermals and a beanie all the time, ignoring all entreaties from BF!! She spent a lot more money than she made, despite long hours waitressing in a pizza place, but she did do some things like sky diving which are not obligatory. She had a great time, but she's tough - has travelled in remote parts of China, rowed for Durham university, used to freezing cold early morning training sessions, etc etc.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stuski, Turoa and Whakapapa are both on Mt Ruapehu. You may have seen reports a decade of a volcano erupting above a ski area - that was Mt Ruapehu. I have never been to Turoa but have visited Whakapapa. They are the largest areas in NZ, good skiing and possibly have the best snow record in NZ(please do not quote me on that!). The mountain is very exposed and so can be badly affected by weather, and it does get very busy on weekends and during the holidays(you can quote me on that!). Pam w's comments about cold accommodation are valid, one season we rented cheap(ish) accommodation and had to sleep in several layers and beanies, we drew the line at wearing ski boots to bed. At the same time I have yet to hear anyone say they would not return because the house was too cold.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Stuski, I did a season there in '94 so my info could be out of date but I had a fantastic time Very Happy

I applied for (and got) a 'holiday working visa' before leaving the UK - maybe through the NZ embassy. Without this you may not be offered work at all but most important to employers was to provide a Tax Code, similar to our NI no. I can't remember what its called but I got one at the tax office in Auckland.

Pay wasn't great so despite landing 2 jobs I spent more than I earned overall, including flights and a new pair of ski boots.

To get work in the ski school required either ISIA qualification or to be chosen at the 'rookie clinic' which took place near the start of the season.

After a few storms, causing several closed days, the snow cover was incredible, but I believe '94 was a particularly good year Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Stuski wrote:
Thanks all very much for replies so far. Very helpful indeed. Anybody been to toroa (sp?) on the north island? I have a mate currently there as a ski instructor

Turoa is a good hill - some excellent terrain. And Ohakune is a fun base town, small but some good bars and a decent vibe. I can confirm what everyone else says about weather and weekend crowds, but think lifts are being upgraded so that will help. Best conditions usually in September when the base is deep and the weather improves - the old lava channels and rifts make for some really fun wide open terrain. The hike to the crater rim is also well worth it on a sunny day - 45 mins or so but views are spectacular.

On South Island, Treble Cone is by far the best ski hill with best snow record. When the snow is deep there, it's a superb place to be. Chutes, bowls, huge wild creek beds. Stay in Wanaka - quieter than Queenstown but still plenty going on.

And Kiwis are good at rugby, and very fond of sheep Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy