Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need advice re foreign Ski Instructor qualifications in france

Poster: A snowHead
hi there!

I decided to marry a duch ski istructor in Austria!
but for languages problem we moved to France.

He has a diplom called anwaerter or anwarter, and we tought that, moving from an european country to another.... there want be any problem!
but it's not so...

in france seems that this diplom in not reconized completely and that he needed to pass a so called
SKI DU TEST ALPIN

he will have his test in few days but now some ski school said that is not enough !!!!

do you know anything about it??

what shell we do to have his degree reconized ??

many many many thanks to everybody will help us !!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The joys of living and working in France. In a number of years you will classified as French and probably not need the "Ski du test alpin"! The simple and unfair thing is that the ESF do not want an Austrian trained Dutch guy working in the resort. You may try one of the international ski schools. There has been many threads on this particular topic before, but the French unions want to have a closed shop. That is the rub.

There are some snowHead 's that teach in some resorts in France, and it will be best to wait for their responses and see how they achieved this.

Gwiwenneth, Where are you looking to work?
snow report
 brian
brian
Gwiwenneth, bienvenue aux snowHead s.

You might get a quicker answer in the "Bend ze Knees" section of the forum as a lot of instructors read and post there, maybe title your post something like "Help - Question on Equivalence Between France and Austria" to attract the right attention.

However, as I understand it, to teach freely in France he would need to have a qualification that was recognised as being at ISTD level and I don't think Anwarter is, I think you have to have the Landesskilehrer qualification.

So, I think he has the equivalent of the British BASI 2 (ski instructor) which means that if he passes the test technique (a timed slalom) then he can work at a school that's designated as a training centre, but not all of them are.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gwiwenneth, anwarter is only the entry-level Austrian qualification. In order to teach autonomously in France, he'd need the Austrian staatlicher qualification. Even the intermediate landeschilehrer qualification would be insufficient. He could however pass the Test Technique slalom and work (theoretically limited to 3 years) as a stagiere for a French ski school willing and able to employ him (while he works towards the challenging Eurotest giant slalom and a French Moniteur National qualification). Anywhere else in the EuroGroup region but France...they have their own rules but it'd probably be easier! Good luck.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gwiwenneth, Sorry should have said, welcome to snowHead 's.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hei guys... you've been fantastic...
brian... i thought the same as you cause he went for interviw in some schools and ... one is very pleased to hire him... the other one said that eaven with the Test Alpin there were no chanses to work as a ski istructor.

He never tied a higher qualification cause was very expensive, and not at all usefull for him that was Duch cause you have to be Austrian to go ahead in the carriers or to open a ski school buy yourself.

We're living in LA PLAGNE on the road to the sloopes.
if you want to have a look at the exact place where we are... email me cause i got some pictures on my web page.

We got a friend that has a very big B&B in la plagne and we were able to stay there for free all the summer but now we're moving to a small chalet next door where we've got 2 spare beds... so... if you want to try on skiing in La Plagne... you'll be welcomed!!!

so... i'm going to post the same message there.... but since now you've been already very very usefull Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel

thanks a lot snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've moved this into Bend Ze Knees as it's a better place for it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
yess... thanks also to the admin snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gwiwenneth, In my experience most of the ESF schools are only too happy to take on Dutch instructors as stagiares. Great language skills and the ability to speak dutch! It's a big advantage. However, yes, the Anwarter is basically a village qualification and not sufficient. Landeschilehrer is regional and holds ISIA status, but only Staedledt holds ISTD. It might be better for your husband to start again in the French system if you wish to live here permanently. I think the test they're talking about is the Test Technique and this is the entry level for French ski instructor training. If he can pass this he's on his way. Good luck. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks a lot Easiski Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, Did we not have this debate around this time last season???? In theory you are right about Dutch nationals having better language skills than most in the esf. The closed shop is still a problem is it not? As a matter of interest how many expats are there teaching in L2A excluding your good self and then % in terms of the whole gaggle of instructors stagieares to director included.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Roy Hockley, I know 1 brit and a Dane and a couple of Dutch working for the ESF. I think there's also at least one Chech ... quite a few. Obviously we're a minority, but you'd expect that. I've never noticed the ESF here (obviously can't speak for other ski schools) having a reluctance to hire foreign instructors - rather the opposite - foreign instructors not wanting to work for the ESF! I was offered a job on numerous occasions, but wouldn't on principal!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski, That is about 2% then. Does not sound as if they are embracing the EC and its ethos!!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski Same in the 3V (certainly Courch and Meribel), pretty much any instructor with appropriate qual's and good language skills would get snapped up. I can think of at least 10 Brits off the top of my head (and I'm a bit out of touch with the 'yoof' stagiaires etc).
Roy Hockley, Have to agree with easiski on this. 2% probably ain't bad, when you think of the number of French instructors there are and how much the ESF is still an 'institution' if you are an instructor coming through ENSA. Also most Brits I know would probably tend to go with one if the International schools as the system tends to be less hierarchical (ie as a rookie (Brit or French) they'll get more work.)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Roy Hockley, I would think you'd be surprised to find 2% foreigners working in most businesses in England! (Don't count imports)
latest report
easiski, 2%, I'd say way more than that.
ski holidays
I deal with the hotel industry in Ireland. That particular industry has possibly 50+% of foreign nationals. Glad to know that you believe the barriers have come down and are embracing civilised uniformed standards that all are elligable. If so Gwiwenneth, partner will be able to work in the same capacity in France that he was in Austria, but you know as well as I do that is unlikely. After all his teaching skills are probably comparable to most found in our favourite French resorts!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Roy Hockley, Anworter is just a village qualification - I did one once in Wengen when I was a Grade 3. If he's keen they'll take him on and train him though. Holland is not in the Eurozone because they don't meet the standards, and TBH having taught a good many who learned in their big snowdomes it's a bit dodgy. I'm sure that this gentleman is fine though.
latest report
easiski, I am sure he is, and as you say may be a better communicator/teacher than some in the ESF. No doubt he will have to do the French BS system.
ski holidays
Roy Hockley, Can anyone from any country work in a bar in your hotels? or do they need to do an irish course on responsible service of alcohol?
snow report
little tiger, You are no doubt aware of the % of foreign nationals working in the industry here! Looking at the timing of your post, were you doing extensive homework on this subject ? Laughing
snow report
My wife and duaghter were taught by a dutch guy last year in Val D'Isere , company was Evolution 2 , maybe worth checking with them what their requirements are
snow report
http://www.skischoollesmenuires.co.uk/ A dutch run school. They were very good.
ski holidays
easiski, I thought the dutch NVVS was in the euro group Puzzled
latest report
slikedges, you are right, Holland are in the eurogroup along with eight other states. However, it is likely that they have to finish some of their courses through the other members.
ski holidays
Hi easiski, in Austria the Anwaerter qualification is not a "village qualification", whatever that means!

Many, many instructors work in Austria holding just this qualification. It is awarded by one of the provincial (or regional) ski federations in Austria, and is the first rung on the ladder, enabling you to teach children and beginners. The Landesschilehrer (intermediate) qualification is also awarded by the provincial ski federations. The only qualification awarded by the National Ski Federation is the Staatliche, which is held by very few instructors working in Austria.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy