Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Coach trip - babies - seats

Poster: A snowHead
Running a coach trip next easter and my nephew is coming who will be 1 years old at time of travelling. Grandmother is coming to look after him etc so childcare no problem.

Problem is how does a 1 year old sit on a coach. No coach company has three point belts on their 49 seat coaches and dont want him on a lap whole way. Puzzled

Does anyone?

a) Know a good coach company with three point belts so he could take his normal car seat.
b)know a car seat that will work with lap belts.

Mother is reluctant to bring him without one of these two and i will lose 4 places from my coach and an apartment.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You're going to let a one year old on a coach that you're also on?

Ear plugs? Ear defenders?

And I'd suggest both adult and junior valium.

Oh, and gaffa tape for the nipper...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well every plane journey i've ever been on i've had a baby who cried next to me the whole way! So coach should be easy. Will sleep most of way.
I have suggested gaffer tape. But for the child seat not for the baby Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
garethjomo, wouldn't a forward facing child seat with its own seat belts work fine with a lap belt?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Would it be worth asking the coach company whether they have any special provisions for children that age? I'm trying to remember what I did with mine - my youngest has been on a coach trip to France every year since birth. I think I took his forward facing car seat and used the lap belt.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm hoping it does work fine with a lap belt but am after reassurance. Have asked three coach companies as well as one i've provisionally booked and none of them had answer. Will actually take child seat into school and try it with one of coaches that brings kids in.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
garethjomo, with a number of years experience of selling car seats in Mothercare, just a word of caution - the lap belt might well strap the car seat in, that doesn't mean it is secure or safe. This from Dept Transport advice "There is nothing in law to prevent child restraints being used if they fit in a bus or coach. However, these vehicles may only have lap belts and most child seats need lap and diagonal belts in order to be secured. In addition, the seats in these vehicles may be the wrong proportions for child restraints"
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
parlor wrote:
Ear plugs? Ear defenders? And I'd suggest both adult and junior valium....

For the rest of the coach.....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've emailed my brother who is in the coach industry to see if he can help out with a coach operator in your area that would have a coach with 3 point seat belt. I'll let you know.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
garethjomo, The local authorities in Bristol and the surrounding areas INSIST on 3 point belts on any coaches used for school contracts; lap belts are no longer acceptable. Perhaps other councils nearer to you have similar policies which would enable you to find a suitable vehicle.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi, Im Snowboard Vickys brother. I may be able to help find a suitable coach I own a coach company in North West, but know a lot of people across uk, somebody must have what you need. Just could do with a bit more info.... When and where are you going, and where abouts in UK are you going from? If you are using a tour company, have you asked them to source a coach with 3pb?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
garethjomo, I can understand your concern. Lap belts aren't safe for older children, either - they can get bad abdominal injuries. I have been on coaches with three point belts, and they will hopefully become the industry standard. I hope someone comes up with something.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nellyb, We're leaving from Swansea 28th March to Les Deux Alpes. Return following Saturday. We're not using tour company just booked apartments seperate. I've asked several companies. One has offered three point belts but it would mean travelling on a bus with no toilet etc. If you know any companies message me with their contact details.

johnnyboy, I dont think councils in Wales have same policy but could use a Bristol company if you know any names as their buses are more likely to have 3 point belts.

Thanks
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So far, Ive come up with this option..... Trathens Starriders of Plymouth have new 49 seater exec (toileted) coaches with 3-point belts. They will pick-up from any location in the UK. I've tried phoning them, but my contact is on holiday today but back in office tomorrow. If you want to call them yourself please feel free. 01752 772000 ask for JB (john bettinson). You can mention my name if you want (Neil from Coachmasters) Let me know how you get on.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks. I will ring them for quote. Will let you know.
snow report
Well it looks like the kid will be safe. Shame everyone else will die due to lap belts rolling eyes
latest report
garethjomo, PM sent.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, Ah....but in the scale of fatalities did more die before their installation? Is it a case of the lesser of two evils. The same must be true of aircraft - they don't have three point belts and I imagine very young infants are as equally difficult to secure in an aeroplane as in a coach - it seems to me a very similar seating arrangement - almost as though a plane is just a large coach with wings and socking great big engines.
snow report
Megamum, and much less likely to hit anything else than a coach or car.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, maybe, but is that any less reason to consider the correct restraints for children in an aeroplane?
latest report
Megamum, In all likelihood, any accident in an aeroplane that is likely to be bad enough for lap belts to do damage is likely to kill everyone on board regardless of the type of seat belts used; the same cannot be said of accidents involving coaches.
snow report
Megamum, 'correct' restraints would eb useless in an aeroplane accidet, and it would be difficult to adopt the 'brace position' with a three-point seat belt.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, OK, leaving aside the disaster scenario and just out of pure interest, would the brace position be necessary with a three point inertia seatbelt?

and of course every seat could be fitted with an air bag in front wink
ski holidays
Quote:

leaving aside the disaster scenario and just out of pure interest, would the brace position be necessary with a three point inertia seatbelt?

No, I guess it wouldn't - one reason for the brace position must be to stop people being flung forward out of control and chopped in half by their lap straps. I agree that in a plane crash any kind of belt would normally be completely useless, but they are helpful in clear air turbulence, I understand - if a plane suddenly drops like a stone an unrestrained passenger can hit the roof, but a seat belt would keep you safe. Equally, I suppose, if there was a bit of a bump when the plane is taxying (how do you spell that?) seat belted passengers would be safer (but not protected from the impatient idiots who stand up and start getting their stuff out of the overhead lockers before the plane has come to a complete standstill....)

It surely can't be long, after the latest horrible coach crash, before the nonsense of lap straps (and of the optional wearing of them) is stopped. Unrestrained passengers are, after all, a big hazard to others too. My overweight sister in law is a seat belt refuser - I won't drive my car with her in the rear seat, unrestrained, behind me. It's more dangerous than passive smoking, that's for sure.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy