Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Adjusting din settings

Poster: A snowHead
My new skis have arrived ! ! ! Well not new as in new model but new old model if you get my drift. Anyway back to the point - How do you adjust the din settings? Is it just a matter of turning the screws front and back? They are set rather too low for a lady of my girth Blush
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ickabodblue, Take them to a shop.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rjs, Won't they be upset that I didn't buy them from them?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
ickabodblue, yes, it is just a case of turning the screws. I wouldn't bother with the shop if you are confident about the setting to use and don't need advice.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
brian, Thanks Brian, yup I know what setting to use.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ickabodblue, if you have them set to the right length for your boots, then adjust the DIN to the correct level on the toe and heel pieces, then adust the toe height/wings (if they are adjustable), and finally adjust the forward release. After that, test them, re-adjust all settings (as each one will change slightly when you adjust the others), retest, and then they are good to go. (don't skip any of these steps!)

If not, go to a shop, pay £25, or so, and get them to do it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fox Hat, Right, done that, the settings didn't change much. Now to hit the snowdome at the weekend ! Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
err, is anyone else uncomfortable with this one....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Powderhound, We did try...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rjs, Powderhound, Oh alright, I promise I will take them to the ski store at my local club and get the bloke there to check them. ('cos I know you're right really)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ickabodblue, Just to be on the safe side, when you go to the snowdome and before you put your boots on, I'd get the guys that hand out the rental skis just to double check the dins on them just to be on the safe side, I'd be surprised if the said no or tried to charge you for this.
I know its not rocket science but torn things in knees hurt, trust me.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ickabodblue, a friend of mine did exactly as kiwi1 suggested, just get them to have a look for you, they were more than happen at xscape in castleford.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kiwi1 wrote:
... but torn things in knees hurt, trust me.

I'll second that.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the warnings folks, I did the sensible thing and took them to the slope where youngest son had his lesson yesterday. They have been checked and are ready to go and I have peace of mind all for the price of a pint!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For Dins upto 8-9, I'll always do a kick check after resetting them..for further piece of mind...
This is where I twist my boot out of the binding.... you need good and strong muscles around the knee to do this so make sure you have those first. For dryslope of indoors, you wouldn't need them at your holiday DIN settings, I'd say. You could afford to come down a notch ot two. Depends how fast you can go in there.
latest report
Spideog wrote:
kiwi1 wrote:
... but torn things in knees hurt, trust me.

I'll second that.

My knee only feels odd - but I may revise by pain assesment after my ACL transplant surgery in a couple of weeks !

After my incident I had the ski/boot combo tested in a automatic test machine - all within specification.
I think I was just unlucky in the way I fell Sad
There are ways to avoid knee damage - one of which is to not ski - not a viable option for me snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 4-09-07 18:34; edited 1 time in total
latest report
lampbus,

how long is the rehab after that..? will you be fit this season..?
snow report
JT, It looks like I will skip the coming season or I may risk the EoSB 08.
However, I am seriously thinking of attending the MSB and trying to see how wrinkly I can get in the pool/sauna/steam room Shocked
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
lampbus, I don't know the details of your 'incident' but what was your DIN setting & was it a slow speed twist?
ski holidays
spyderjon, setting was 7 or 8. and it was a slow rearward twisting fall. Neither ski released, just felt the left foot go 'waggly' and a nebulious pain. No 'pop' (although the ACL is popped).
I had been moving quickly on piste, braked heavily in low visability and passed into a patch of softer fresh snow slightly off balance. Because I had been heading from piste to deep powder all week, I was used to reacting to the sudden slowing by pushing my shins forwards at the transition. Unfortunately, the patch wasnt deep or extensive so I was back on hardpack in the back seat and twisted. That did the job. Sad
snow report
Anyone remember whether Lange's rear cuff release was available on non mid-entry boots?

ski holidays
The implication from some of these statements is that the correct DIN settings will prevent knee injuries - I guess that should be 'will minimalise' possible knee injuries. Mine were set by the lady in the hire shop who has apparently run the place for countless years and I still twisted a knee that morning in the fog on the little slope - I think it may just be sorting itself out - it was still giving me lots of pain earlier in the summer, but it doesn't play up as often now and I hope it will allow me to use the exercise machine when I talk myself back into 'getting fit for skiing' mode
ski holidays
Megamum, perhaps find something not quite as boring that actually uses the muscles around the knee instead of isolating them away from the effort? What happened to the skating plan?
ski holidays
comprex, 'skating plan' - that wasn't me - I've no-where to (ice) skate (though I don't make a bad effort on them) that isn't a good drive away so its not really practical, and no surfaces locally that are flat enough to rollerblade (not even convinced I could rollerblade - I've never tried a pair - though I used to be good with the model that had had a 4 wheels - one at each corner)
ski holidays
lampbus, from what I've read that type of fall is the really damaging one. As you say, just a bit of bad luck really.

Megamum, yep, designed to minmise injury. The problem for skilled skiers, especially the bigger framed, is that they require higher settings to ensure against 'pre-releases' at higher speeds etc. These higher settings then leave the user susceptable to low speed twists. I met a guy last year whose ACL was ruptured when he was clattered in to by a child whilst he was stationary at the back of a lift line & he'd twisted badly before his binding release.

The different binding manufacturers make their products to comform to the same DIN release values, however differing designs do mean that they release in different ways which can make certian designs more suitable for certain uses like racing, landing jumps whilst skiing switch or cliff hucking etc.
ski holidays
Megamum, from this article comes the best "brain train" quote I've seen yet:

Marty Gallagher wrote:
the mind, the brain, the internal thought process, can become your biggest ally or worst enemy. Psychological positioning is critical; optimally the athlete is enthused and excited and fired up about the plan and the process.

Find something that fires you up, don't waste time and energy on exciting yourself for the merely convenient.
snow conditions
While I wholly agree that bindings should not be tinkered with, I always think its a good idea to get know how to check and adjust my own bindings properly.
latest report
jbob, how do you resolve this seeming paradox?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is some good chat about DIN settings and the associated benefits of getting them right. It is well worth bearing in mind that skiing on inappropriate skis these days will lead to equal levels of injury. The ability to hold G through a turn due to improved edge hold and lateral twist characteristics means that more and more people are skiing faster, with increased lean angles while trying to maintain an upright posture. The stresses on the knee due to the lateral displacement of the centre of gravity leads to greater force on the medial collateral ligament which has more elasticity than the ACL. A slip while in the critical phase of the turn - and at the point of max G loading - means that when the ski re-bites the force on the knee joint is intolerable and the 'closing-drawer' movement of the knee joint - forward or backwards independently of the thigh - over-stresses the ACL causing it to stretch or, in extremis, snap. This is likely to be what happened in lampbus' case. It is certainly what happened to my wife's knee when moving unexpectedly from powder to boiler plate (thus unweighting unwittingly in the critical phase of a turn) and back onto powder now relaxed but still in the same phase of the turn.

Understanding some of the forces that we are subjecting oursleves to may not be fully commensurate with the extract that comprex has given us but the mechanics and physical implications are worth being aware of...

The fact that I snapped all knee ligaments in a 'high-side' crash while racing was not due to having bindings set to 14, but more due to the lack of race fitness and using high performance skis... DIN is important but consider whether you need race boots and high-end skis for the type of skiing you are intending to do, then get the bindings checked out!
ski holidays
comprex wrote:
jbob, how do you resolve this seeming paradox?

Tinkering implies ignorance, whenever I get new bindings I read the instructions and talk to the tech in the shop where I get them from.
ski holidays
jbob, I believe knowing how a binding works is only half of the issue, you need to learn in what situations your binding should be 'tinkered with', if any situation at all..
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy