Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Midlife Crisis

Poster: A snowHead
I was flirting with the dark side last night having had my first snowboarding lesson on the dry slope. I now know the true meaning of pain! It was a really good laugh though and I've signed up for another few lessons. I need some advice on the best form of protection for my knees, I don't think they can take much more!
My midlife crisis deepened when the class offered to buy our teacher a drink after the lesson - he politely refused saying he had to get up for school in the morning rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ickabodblue, welcome to the darkside, my advice is learn on snow and save the knees - I understand that the technique needed to initially learn to turn on plastic is exagerated and not good practice.

Even younger than the local bobbie eh, Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ickabodblue, must agree with rayscoops. My two sons started learning on plastic, years ago, and couldn't really hack it, it was so deeply unpleasant. One, in particular, was a tough lad and now skis and boards extremely well on snow and isn't afraid of anything. Do yourself a favour and get over to Milton Keynes or somewhere (I learnt there, and falling on the snow really isn't too bad even when you're well past middle age).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ickabodblue, Aldi have workers kneepads in stock right now, two types of hardshell and one soft, All are suitable for brush or snow . . . and they're dirt cheap . . . and I wouldn't venture near bristle without a bumpad either . . . even a home-made one Confused
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque, Thanks,
there is an Aldi near me and I will go tomorrow. I have a large, soft bumpad that's all natural wink
I know the mat isn't ideal (trust me my poor knees certainly know), but it's a five minute drive for me so it's really convenient.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ickabodblue,

I learnt to board on a dryslope and while it certainly was a painful learning experience I found that the learning curve was massively accelerated such that I was comfortably riding all over the mountain after my first full week on snow. I did think after 3 weeks of dryslope leassons I was never going to get the hang of it though.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dryslope is fine: every one of Britain's current World Cup team apart from Angus Leith and Lesley McKenna spent their formative years on dryslope - actually, most of them are under 25 so they still are in their formative years. So if you're happy only being as good as them then dryslope will suit you fine... And dryslope is a lot cheaper than the snowdomes, so you get more bang for yor buck. Literally.
You can get cheap knee protectors which fit under riding kit from motocross suppliers. And stick a bit of camping roll-mat down the back of your trousers.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ickabodblue, never worn knee protectors when boarding, only @rse and back protection. Why not get some skateboarding stuff? My missus got a cheap set from Argos (£10) and they lasted her a bit (she used the wrist guards mainly).

If you want extra protection, in time you'll want to protect your rear end so try these:

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/6259/groupID/3/categoryID/27/v/401a2865-3c18-451a-b64a-417096bae0b5

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/10164/groupID/3/categoryID/27/v/401a2865-3c18-451a-b64a-417096bae0b5

I have the Pro version (which they did for me at £29.99 becaue they messed the order up. Saved me a few bruises along the way. The Pros are a bit stuff though, with them being designed mainly for motoX and MTBing - you need baggy trousers or they restrict movement. A mate has the standard bomber shorts though and he reckons they're dead comfortable and don't hinder your movement.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ickabodblue, Oooucch Skullie Been there done that and have now given up, why be cr@p at two things when you can just be cr@p at one. I suffered a whiplash injury from learning on a dryslope, and have vowed not to try snowboarding again untill I have lots of spare skiing time. As for pads, I wore skateboarders hardhshell knee pads, Dainese kids hardshell bum pad, and Dakine wrist guards (an absolute must IMHO) all of which offered no protection for my neck. Skullie Not sure whether you are on Dendix, but if so, it might be best to wear mittens rather than gloves as your fingers can also take a hammering.

I wish you luck and hope you succeed where I failed Embarassed it is a really good feeling snowboarding, but the injury side of it just wasn't worth it to me at my age.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ickabodblue wrote:
I need some advice on the best form of protection for my knees, I don't think they can take much more!

Stick to skiing?

Mind you, there is lots to be said for it on the days when the snow is heavy or waist deep... Lots of luck, my wrists couldn't take the hammering I gave them (snowboarding before the wisecracks begin!)

wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ickabodblue, If you are looking into some form of knee protection that will last you a long time, then you might consider dainese, they cater for extreme sports (I use their shinpads whilst BMXing)

They are well and truly up to the job, but they do come at a premium price....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hmmm, I was thinking of doing a learn to board in a day course at Tamworth over the summer but never got round to it which is a shame. I was told by a boarding instructor at Gloucester, where I'm training as a ski instructor, that I could join in with some of their sessions but I'm a wee bit hesitant about doing it on dry and this threads rather confirmed that! Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

they do come at a premium price....

I find the cheap skateboarding knee pads from Go Sport were fine, though I love my Dainese armoured knickers and wrist guards. Like IncogSkiSno I hurt my neck on my first day - catch a back edge and you go over, down the slope, like a tree. The helmet saves the head, but the forces transmitted to neck are considerable. Stiff and sore for a few days, and that was on snow. Of course the tough guys can learn on dry slopes, just like all the fearless 14 year olds hurling themselves down roads on their skateboards, but for most of us, especially those past their prime, snow is a lot kinder and less discouraging!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
armoured knickers
Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
maggi, oh yes, you should see 'em. Cost a fortune, worth every penny.
snow report
Quote:

wish you luck and hope you succeed where I failed

Me too - tried twice, failed twice Embarassed
latest report
If looking for Dainese body armour I've found it cheaper to look at Motorcycle clothing suppliers rather than ski wear / outdoor persuit shops / websites. wink
ski holidays
Odin, Thanks I'll give that a try.

Comments on this thread could be a touch less pessimistic - A bit of positive thinking please! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
I know a bloke selling a nice deep blue Porsche 911 at a good price for a midlife crisis...
ski holidays
Odin wrote:
If looking for Dainese body armour I've found it cheaper to look at Motorcycle clothing suppliers rather than ski wear / outdoor persuit shops / websites. wink

True - and as it's the end of the summer some mountain bike sites have a lot of sales due also.
latest report
I can turn!!! and I didn't fall tonite at all, obviously not pushing myself hard enough but, hey, it was fun!
snow conditions
ickabodblue, come to the dark ad become 'one' with the snow.
latest report
Masque, Are you my father?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy