Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are you a celeb look-alike?

Poster: A snowHead
If so, watch out! The British-run celebrity news agency “Showbiznews” is heading for the slopes this winter for the first time. Based down on the Riviera, their main function has previously been to report on celebrities taking holidays in the sunny south of France. From December they will have reporters, cameras at the ready, in Val d’Isère, St Moritz and Courcheval [sic]. (Hope their reporter can find his way to the right resort, as they don't know how to spell the place in their press release…)
Quote:
"We're going to have a team of reporters in St.Moritz, Val d'Isere and Courcheval," says Lucy Palmer, a reporter with 'Showbiz news', "we'll be able to report back on celeb ski holidays, but equally, we'll still have people in Paris, on the Riviera and all over Europe."

It’s not clear just how pleased the three resorts concerned will be with this piece of news, but no doubt even if the stars head elsewhere, the paparazzi will soon be hot on their bindings.
Quote:
Based on the French Riviera, we provide the latest on music, movie & celebrity news across Europe. Our string of inside sources and tipsters, including bodyguards, yacht crew, villa and hotel staff across Europe, guarantee that we deliver top-notch exclusive celebrity gossip.

So if you’ve just had a Beckham haircut, or are the splitting image of Wayne Rooney, watch out for telephoto lenses when you go back to your hotel or apartment – keep those shutters closed!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PG,

I hope I'm one of the many who have total an utter contempt for 'celebrity'. Whilst I admire many people for their achievements (sports stars, actors, comedians etc..) the idea that I want to know where they go on holiday, what their kitcken looks like or what parties they attend is beyond me.

Even worse are the celebrities who have never done anything but be celebrity - certain "glamour models" or "society girls" (mentioning no names) who thrive in a kind of enviroment where a little media attention feeds off itself and snowballs into a monster. The leaches (magazines and paparazzi) that perpetuate this charade deserve none of our time either.

Vote with your feet / wallet....ignore OK, Hello, Health & Efficiency..... don' fret over how 'the other half live' get your own life....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hywel, you'll note I didn't include the link to the news agency in question, prominently featured several times in the original press release Wink

I reckon it reflects more on the man-in-the-street than on the 'icons', or the businesses that feed off the celebrity circus. After all, they're responding to public demand in the main... If no one bought the Sun, it would go under tomorrow.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I reckon it reflects more on the man-in-the-street than on the 'icons', or the businesses that feed off the celebrity circus. After all, they're responding to public demand in the main... If no one bought the Sun, it would go under tomorrow.

This is probably true in part, but it is used to justify a huge amount of intrusion when the actual circulation of a lot of these mags and papers is small relative to the population as a whole. I suspect the average man in the street is as sick of it as the average snowhead is.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PG,
I noticed you had the good taste and discretion not to link to the news agency.....

it is all a case of supply and demand - as you say if no-one was interested in the cult of celebrity then there wouldn't be a celebrity circus.

Doesn't stop a grumpy old man ranting though! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Couldn't agree more about these so called society girls or "it" girls although i am a little bit jealous of them wish i could get paid to party but as stated if muppets didnt buy it they wouldnt print it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
and include the so called " celebrities " of the Channel 4 show " Big Brother " with th rest. Famous for being famous, ehhh
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Funny thing, this fame and celebrity. I think bootneck is being very honest when admittiing his jealousy (or is it envy - I never can tell). We slave away for our daily crust, so it seems bloody unfair for someone to seemingly do nothing and live a life of luxury. But, I think there are few here who wouldn't actually like a bit of fame and celebrity. I felt the siren call recently, when I discovered there were 2 pictures of me in a prominent medical journal (no links, thank goodness), and I was right chuffed. My head visibly swelled and I started to strut about the place, looking for a few paparazzi so I could swear at them and break their cameras. Victoria Beckham? A mere amateur! Must go: time for my manicure.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mark Hunter and I are alleged to bear some resemblance to Alan Titchmarsh...does that count?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am the spit of a younger Sean Penn and if confronted by a photographer will react as he would have done i.e smack the..... After all, it's the sort of picture they want.

However, despite our proximity to the Riviera, I don't think there's much chance that the snappers will be out in force in the Val d'Allos.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hywel is spot on.
These mags, of which I have read bits of one or two, are beyond contempt.
Those who spend their hard end cash on them need to start looking at their lives rather than worrying about which "celeb" has lost eleventeen stone in half an hour and which "celeb" has cellulite.
I'm not sure that "the man in the street" is to blame though. I'm sure HE, for the most part, dosen't give a stuff about “celebs”, their cellulite or their love lives. The WOMAN in the street is another story.
In my experience those who buy and watch this garbage are housewife’s, secretarial/admin staff, shop floor workers etc. These people tend to have a high boredom factor at work, they have a high gossip/chat dependency, have limited financial resources and little or no other form of stimulation in their lives.

Quote:

But, I think there are few here who wouldn't actually like a bit of fame and celebrity.

I don’t agree.
Whilst most people would like to do something significant with their lives and have some form of recognition for this, few people would like the "celebrity" crap which we see all to often in our media.
Quote:

if muppets didnt buy it they wouldnt print it.

We are beyond this now. The media have cultivated this market very well over the years and now we are at the point where if you don't buy this muck you'll be struggling to find something to read/watch. This muck is easy to read, requires little or no thought, makes great chat material and, most importantly for the publishers, is self sustaining and easy to create.

These are dark days but can this blight be stopped and if so how?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ian Hopkinson wrote:
Mark Hunter and I are alleged to bear some resemblance to Alan Titchmarsh...does that count?

Only by my 4 year old daughter Ian, if you don't mind Wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I didn't want to be alone...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mark, you sure you're not his body-double for the dodgy bits of Ground Force et al?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
People say I look like a tall bespectacled Johhny Vegas. Whats he look like then?
snow report
Take off your glasses!
latest report
T Bar wrote:
Quote:

This is probably true in part, but it is used to justify a huge amount of intrusion when the actual circulation of a lot of these mags and papers is small relative to the population as a whole. I suspect the average man in the street is as sick of it as the average snowhead is.

Circulation not as small as you might think.

The Sun sell 7+million copies EACH DAY. Daily readership is around 12-20million (depends who you believe). Of a population of 55million, that's anything but a 'small %' .

The figures for the magazines shouldn't be taken separately, but the total readership of all the mags combined (allowing for overlap of readers etc). Again, I think you'll be surprised by just how popular they are.

A figure of 10% would be conservative.

Sad, isn't it.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, ivr tajen ogg mi gladdes, wjat do I do mow?
snow report
austin7 wrote:

The Sun sell 7+million copies EACH DAY. Daily readership is around 12-20million (depends who you believe). Of a population of 55million, that's anything but a 'small %' .

According to this the Suns circulation in 2000 was around the 3 million mark with a readership of around 9 million. If anything, since then readership has dropped.

That article reckons almost a 1/4 of the adult population read the Sun. Still pretty depressing.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 13-10-04 8:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Lager - apologies, I was quoting from memory and was clearly wrong in what I remembered.

Still, 9mil readers out of a population of ca. 55mil is, as you say, still pretty depressing - and also hardly insignificant, which was the gist of the point I was trying to make.
snow report
I don't believe 9 million people read the Sun.

They might look at the pictures though.
snow conditions
David@traxvax wrote:
Mark, you sure you're not his body-double for the dodgy bits of Ground Force et al?

Only when Charlie Dimmock was "apparently" working under him.....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy