Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dreams - 10 resorts before I kick it ..

Poster: A snowHead
Yes, I started winter-sports 'later in life' but over the last couple of weeks SWMBO and I have been working out where to go next.

This got me thinking ... where are the ' 10 PLACES I NEED TO SKI BEFORE THE KIDS INHERIT ALL" .Given that we are aged incompetents with delusions of grandeur and a love of 'twee'.. Then my list looked like this.

Zermatt
Val d'Isere - DONE
Les Gets - DONE
Wengen - DONE
Verbier - DONE
Solden
Courchevel
Whistler
Beaver Creek
Banff

Thoughts????
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Agenterre, Zermatt deserves to be at the top purely for Matterhorn gazing.

Where's your skiing at now ? Apols for bluntness but there's nothing special about Courchevel unless you can ski the good bits. Ditto Verbier, how did you get on there ? Would you be up to the Vallée Blanche trade route ? If so, chuck in Chamonix.

Certain off the beaten track French speaking Swiss valleys have their twee appeal as well (well, I'm happy there).

I've not done North America but Utah is supposed to be the state of unrivalled quality powder so that's where I'll be headed (possible Tahoe tag on to work notwithstanding).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agenterre, Resort X
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Never been to Beaver Creek Banff or Solden but from what I 've read I am not sure why the latter is on the list? Zermatt is fantastic Whistler pretty good. Courchevel has some nice skiing but is not anything special.

I think Chamonix is a must, fantastic dramatic scenery and great skiing.

I've never been to the dolomites or Kitzbuhel but they are on my list of musts.

I might add Lech or St Anton or Ischgl for a bit of Austrian variety they are all great well known places.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If it is only one place from Austria, then I would not choose Solden.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Of the list, I have not done Solden or Beaver Creek.

Neither is on my places to ski list. I would not mind skiing Colorado one day. Aspen or Vail possibly.

My list would include :-
Serre Chevalier and Alpe d'Huez
Ischgl
Flims Laax
Somewhere small in the Eastern block with sightseeing potential - Poland, Slovenia Czechoslovakia as was maybe.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
12 countries I would like to have skied in before I quit

France- done
Scotland -done
England - done
Spain- done

These are in order of likelyhood:

Switzerland-
Austria-
USA-
Canada-
NZ-
Aus-
Japan-
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nick W wrote:
Agenterre, Resort X

Whitegold wrote:
Resort X is for losers.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agenterre My 10 places I would like to yet visit and a brief WHY

Dolomites - Beauty
Zermatt - Beauty, food
Whistler - Skiing
Lech - Posh Austria
Utah - Snow
Ishgl - Party Austria
Val d'annivers - Freeloading off the locals and I like quiet
Serre Chevalier - Tree skiing
Chamonix - A plce all skiers should visit?
St Moritz - Posh Switzerland
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm U.S. based, for what it's worth. My list:

Zermatt - That Matterhorn thing and the fact that it makes almost every top 10 list of must ski resorts.
Lech - Visited a couple of years ago and loved it. I was injured and couldn't ski. Must return.
Aspen - Four mountains and a village with a great reputation. Many would say the best single station in the U.S.
Junfrau - Descriptions of the scenery make me really want to visit this area.
Dolomites - Not sure what village but I'm into scenery and I always read that the scenery in the Dolomites is unsurpassed.
Banff area - Reputed to have the best scenery in NA. My wifes' uncle and cousins rave about it. Supposed to be a great village.
Utah - We've been and will definately return. Nine stations within about 1.5 hours of one another and close to SLC airport. It's the snow stupid.
Big Sky - The first place I ever skied. Spent 4 days there when I was 20. Didn't ski again till I was 49. It's time to go back.
Summer skiing someplace in South America - Not sure where but I figure it's something all skiers should do before they pack it in.
Sun Valley - Historical resort where the the rich and famous played in the snow.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I like Frosty's list. I, too, think in term of region instead of resort...

Zermatt
Dolomites
St Moritz
Chamonix
Jackson Hole -- Scenary, quaint village, terrain
Tahoe -- Scenary, terrain, amount of snow (DONE, but will repeat multiple times)
Alta/Snowbird -- snow, not bad scenary (DONE, same as above)
Taos -- scenary, terrain (DONE, same)
Banff & Alberta -- snow & scenary
Somewhere S. America -- scenary, snow
Haikado, Japan -- just to be different
NZ -- scenary (ooops, I'm over 10 already!)

I've also been to a few places, had I not been, would be on my top 10 list (Jungfrau, St. Anton). Not that they're not good. Just not on the "must repeat" list so I have a fighting chance of getting to the resorts on "the list".

Fortunately, I don't feel I need to hurry. I'm still young. Wink

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 30-07-07 20:04; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
St Anton - Never skied in Austria
Alagna - Dolomites look so nice (idiot see below Embarassed )
Murren - OHMSS is just about my fave Bond film (even with George Lazenby) certainly the best score
Snowbird/Alta - Driven through for a look but out of season
Jackson Hole/Grand Targhee - Tetons are beautiful in summer would love to go in winter
Backcountry Alpe D'huez - impressed by Arno's TRs
Verbier on a powder day
Las Lenas - Argentinian girls & grills are so hot
Valdez - AK heli lottery win fantasy
Blencathra - Some year global warming will pay back and the Caldbeck fells will be great. Bowl above Hayswater looks pretty nice too

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 30-07-07 22:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob, pssst - Alagna isn't in the Dolomites

Actually I was going to write a full list but mine overlaps with yours in a big way! I'd like to do Zermatt too, never having been there to date
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fatbob, Alagna wasn't in The Dolomites when I skied there wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Doh! Embarassed

Lucky the pedants are quick off the mark - I meant Arabba though I've heard lots of good stuff about Alagna skiing wise so it was probably a freudian slip trying to squeeze in some good quality terrain into a Dolomiti setting. rolling eyes
snow report
Agenterre, As others have said, not sure why Solden is on your list (although I must admit I've not been there). In Austria would suggest Kitzbuhel and St Anton for their skiing history, ambience etc.
Zermatt is rightly at the top of your list IMHO. Good varied skiing area, superb mountain restaurants Very Happy , and the most photogenic mountain in the world. Cool

One unusual suggestion - if you ever get to Quebec in Winter, be sure to visit Le Massif. Outstanding views over the frozen St Lawrence River!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bariloce (Argentina)
Las Portilos (Chile)
St Anton (penciled in for this winter)
Montana
Jackson Hole (when the lifts are running)
Heliskiing in Turkey
Lebanon (and a visit to the Hochar vineyards)
La Grave (Yes, JT, I know...)

Hmm, I must have a crap imagination as I seem to be running out at a mere 8...

So could add:

Doing the combination 4 downhills of which the Inferno is only one
And somewhere in Austria, just so I can tick it off.
latest report
David Murdoch wrote:
Montana

Is that Crans Montana (Switzerland) or the US State? Toofy Grin
latest report
David Murdoch wrote:
Bariloce (Argentina)
St Anton (penciled in for this winter)
And somewhere in Austria, just so I can tick it off.

St Antons been moved? Shocked NehNeh
ski holidays
Alastair Pink, US State!

T Bar, errr, yes, ooops.

So I'll be at 9 then?
ski holidays
Agenterre, What a great idea for a thread...

I agree about Beaver Creek not going on the list. I like it but would choose Vail first. Solden is the only one on your list I haven't skied, but went past it by bus this year in January and it appeared to be a chav filled snowless pile of mud. And (stuck record time here) you really do need to put Jackson Hole on your list. Perhaps VDI instead of Courchevel too?

On my to do list of places I haven't been, and in order of preference

Telluride,
Utah,
St Anton
Gressoney/Alagna
La Grave
Crested Butte
St Moritz
Taos
Klosters
LDA

David Murdoch, The absence of the tram at JH doesn't make a huge difference - and yes - Chateau Musar rocks. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
10 things which I'd love to do in no particular order, some a little more realistic than others:

Dolomites
Utah
Pyrenees
Cragieburn
Kitzbuhel
St Moritz
Kamchatka heliskiing
South America
Gd Paradiso touring
Atlas mountains touring
snow report
Tough one, as I've skied a lot of the resorts that were on the list. SO...

Chamonix
Lake Louise
St Anton
Engelberg
Glencoe

Would also like to go back to places I've only skied a day or two

Tignes
Davos
snow conditions
I'm so glad Zermatt is on peoples list. Going in March 08 and soooo excited. More excited than Banff in Jan 08. Which is a great place - 2nd visit for us and we rarely do that. Can heartily recommend Aspen too.

A great idea for a threadAgenterre, Very Happy

Elizabeth B, Just can't do Engleberg as would keep refering to it as " Engelberg Humperdink" Laughing

Some places still on our list........

Lake Tahoe - stunning setting and varied resorts
Eastern Canada - Will note your recommendationAlastair Pink, think that's a photo I've seen that made it go on the list.
Japan ooh yes please - all that powder
Whistler - will be doing Feb 09 in style for my 40th.
Lech
Flims
St Anton
Utah
Davos

So many places, so little time and funds. I'll order a lottery win I think.
We'd both love to do a season but time seems to be passing us by. Confused
snow report
Will I be unpopular to suggest Yad Moss to be on the list? It is a real skiing slope in England!

What about the 5 resorts in Scotland Glenshee, Cairngorm, Lecht, Glencoe and Nevis Range?

It cannot be complete unless one has skied England and Scotland too in additional to all the big names . Just strike it when there is enough snow.
ski holidays
Agenterre, quite right to include Courchevel on the list. The Trois Vallees can't/shouldn't be ignored - it is a spectacular area - and Courchevel is the most 'comfortable' resort in the area. Worth doing once - and there are plenty of people who can tell you the best places to go to.
snow report
Alastair, I absolutely agree about 3Vs, but don't think Courch is the most convenient place to stay if you want to ski the whole area. Mottaret, ugly as it is, is probably best for that. Have to sample the food at Bel Air above Courchevel at lunchtime, though! I am addicted to their lentil salad.
Being centrally placed in a big ski area strikes me as being quite important - hence Wengen (which is lovely anyway) for the Jungfrau region, and not Solden, but rather St Anton or Lech for the Voralberg region.
stoatsbrother,
Quote:

Chateau Musar rocks
Yummm. I remember once getting a case with a broken bottle in it and the wine dealer said he thought that was caused by a stray shot whizzing over the Bekaa Valley! (I've always fancied doing the 'ski in the morning/lie on the beach in the afternoon' thing in the Lebanon...)
ski holidays
Hurtle, I said 'comfortable' not 'convenient'.

Mottaret is certainly 'convenient' but it's a dump. It's a daft place to stay.

To do the 3Vs, avoid the centre valley - Courchevel, Val Thorens (my personal favourite) and Les Menuires (horribly underestimated, IMHO) are all usually surrounded by decent snow. Meribel and Mottaret are only surrounded by decent snow to the extent that decent snow can be found on the valley either side of the one you're in. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair,
Quote:

I said 'comfortable' not 'convenient'

Yes, I can read. I was making a different point which was to do with being able to ski the whole area without getting stuck in the wrong valley at the end of a day. And there are undoubtedly competing priorities - yes Les Menuires has some terrific skiing close by (I love La Masse) but that has got to be one of the ugliest villages ever built. Anyway, each to his own, daft is as daft does, to adapt another saying.
snow conditions
I was a late starter (27) but I've been lucky to cram in quite a bit of skiing in the past 14 years.

Also been very lucky to have skied at many of this post's 'dones' and 'to dos'.

In no particular order, for a variety of reasons (snow, terrain, vistas, experience) and limited to just one resort/area for each country for brevity and modesty here's my list of the ones I've done and the ones I'd like to do (done first):

ARGENTINA - La Hoya - Cerro Castor
AUSTRIA - Arlberg resorts of St Anton, St Christoph, Lech and Zurs - Montafon area
CANADA - Kicking Horse - Whitewater
CHILE - Antillanca - Corralco
FRANCE - La Grave - St Foy
ITALY - Monte Rosa circuit of Alagna, Champoluc and Gressoney - Cortina
JAPAN - Rusutsu, Hokkaido - Asahidake, Hokkaido
NZ - Ohau - Mt Olympus
NORWAY - Stranda - Narvik
SWITZERLAND - Engelberg - Zinal
USA - Snowbasin, Utah (tough one and changes weekly) - Jackson Hole

and last but not least,

WALES - Brecon Beacons National Park - Snowdonia National Park

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 14-08-07 2:14; edited 7 times in total
snow report
stoatsbrother, ah, 'twasn't the tram I was referring to. I visited JH after a huge dump a few years ago but it hadn't opened for the season - at all. Two excellent rando days though in thigh deep powder. Yum.
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
Agenterre, As others have said, not sure why Solden is on your list (although I must admit I've not been there).

I have been there and have no idea why it's on your list !!
snow report
Chateau Musar - Finished tha last bottle of a whole case that we had bought and 2 weeks later went to a semi blind tasting night. Chateau Musar was one of the wines on offer (same year even) and we both failed to spot it Embarassed The words silk, purse, sows & ear spring to minds Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
Davos....... and then struggling.

Atm I am on a Swiss kick so ticking some of the smaller places, but in the next few years my goal will be to pick off routes rather than resorts.

For example, I'd go back to Verbier to do the back side of Mont Fort and places. Gressoney to do some more heli in great snow...a toughie there, I know.
Chamonix, when I am passing through and the Midi is in good condition.

As for specific resorts, I am less interested. That said, local knowledge and good snow in any high lift resort would keep me around for quite a while.

I hope to do a good few days based in BSM and will be looking to get out back to everywhere...ha ha
ski holidays
I,ll keep it simple.

Asia Done
Africa Done
North America Done
South America Done
Antarctica Done
Europe Done
Australasia Done

Very Happy

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 31-07-07 10:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
DM,

Laughing

That is two years now...... maybe you'll get there this year.. You'll know where we are..
latest report
OOh , ecky-thump. Thanks everyone; you've demonstrated that I know nothing despite the research !

Brian My skiing is nicely-balanced below intermediate ! Embarassed Learning is slow progess but I get down Blues and Reds somehow after a fashion -- a lot slower than most! Verbier I enjoyed but much was beyond my capability. Off-piste is still a twinkle - although enjoyed my 'OP for drongoes' lesson last year. I thought Grimentz was reddy/black , if so a bit stretching at the moment.

Nick W Nah. so eXclusive even the locals can't be bothered going there Shocked

Everyone ….errggh sorry – you will have picked up that I know nothing about Austria, let alone its winter sports resorts Embarassed , so Solden needs to be kicked out and replaced with Lech or Ischgl …. its original inclusion was reading good things here !

Hadn’t thought of the Dolomites either ! Will have to rethink that one … as they are beautiful..

US of A … well I knew I had to put some on there; SO has done Vail and doesn’t rave about it. The struggle is finding a ‘pretty’ resort I suspect!

Mike Pow Beacons ? You mean I could have skied outside my front door? Shocked -- BTW starting at 27 is positively VERY young!

…and St Moritz ( well it has to be done) .

….now where were those brochures?

Frosty The Snowman .....and where is this ski resort with its own vineyard?
latest report
Agenterre, You mean you've got that long ? Skullie

Quote:

Zermatt
Val d'Isere - DONE Zermatt
Val d'Isere - DONE
Les Gets - DONE
Wengen - DONE
Verbier - DONE
Solden
Courchevel
Whistler
Beaver Creek
Banff

Zermatt - DONE
Les Gets - DONE
Wengen - DONE kinda, we skied for a day whilst staying at Murren
Solden - Surprised you had this one - but we are going at NY, so will let you know what it is like (if my liver survives) Toofy Grin

My top 10

Zermatt - DONE
3V
Ischgl
St Anton
Kitzbhul
Jungfrau DONE
Banff
Whistler
USA not sure where
Dolomites
latest report
Agenterre wrote:
Frosty The Snowman .....and where is this ski resort with its own vineyard?
About 11 posts up from yours wink
snow report
Hmmm

Zermatt
Igschl
Whistler
Lake Louise/Banff
Heavenly/Tahoe
Utah
Aspen/Snowmass