Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Using ASL / Snowboard Leader Awards in Italy.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking for a bit of advice here please, folks. Every year, the FE College I work at takes a group of 20 or so students away on a one-week ski / board residential abroad. Previously, the students have always been booked on lessons with local instructors for half of each day and led by myself and another member of staff for the rest of each day. Both of us hold the Alpine Ski Leader award and I am also a Snowboard Leader. This year, no local lessons have been booked and I am coming under pressure from my manager to lead (and by nature, teach) for the whole of each day. I have pointed out that this is above the remit of the award and would welcome some comments from more knowledgable experts please! I am not familiar with the local laws in Italy and would love some clarification on any legal issues - eg will I be approached on the slopes if I seem to be in charge of a group? All comments appreciated on this - cheers!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kayakdude, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

My understanding of ASLA is that it allows you to "supervise" a group on the slopes. It certainly does not allow you to teach them. If the group are all competent skiers/boarders, then this shouldn't be an issue - however if you have beginners/novices then it is extremely hard to lead a group and not instruct them.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kayakdude, Which governing body are your qualifications from ? Those from Snowsport Scotland do allow their holders to teach while leading a group.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Would also depend on where in Italy you are going, as I know in the Aosta valley they are very strict on who is doing what.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow everyone - that was a quick response! First of all, the location would be Courmayeur, the quals are Snowsport Scotland ones and the group will be mainly novices at the beginning of the week. Thanks for any continued input on this!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
No technical knowledge but I wouldn't be comfortable in an all day teaching position with kids/young adults without the backing of a technical organisation. Fair enough if you held an full instructor qualification (subject to local acceptance of this) but is this really not about cheapskating on external instructors - what have the students being promised by way of tuition?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks fatbob, The argument as it's been presented to me so far by my manager - who booked the trip with no consultation - is that, as the trip cost has proved much higher than in years before, there are insufficient funds to pay for local instruction. I do not accept this as a valid reason or justification and am looking for a "toolbox" of legal / ethical arguments to prevent this situation occurring. At present the students are unaware of anything out of the ordinary and I'd like to keep it that way. If anyone knows of any similar or related cases, I'd be delighted to hear about them.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
With SSS ASL you can teach beginners up to basic parallel in resort, provided they are from your group, you don't go off-piste. It's good practice to inform the resort what you're going to be doing first. I'd still use the local ski school though. You're not going to manage 20 kids of various abilities.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy