Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Torn Trousers

Poster: A snowHead
This is probably a pathetic question but...

Washing my ski trousers at the weekend, I noticed that I have managed to tear them on the lower leg. I probably caught them on the clips of my boots. They are 3 layer Gortex XCR fabric (Salomon).

I am wondering if the tear is likely to get bigger/fray or will it stay as it is? (it's quite small at the moment)

Should I just leave it be/sew it/patch it?

They were new last season, I really like them & don't want to have to replace them. Any advice or suggestions?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
TC, contact Salomon's customer suipport and ask them for their advice. They may be able to supply or recommend a repair (or even do it at a price).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Doh! Never thought of that. I'll give them a go.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
TC, just put a bit of duct tape on it and look like a real freereider!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You could also use Duck tape, but then, this conversation has been had before.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
get a bit of bondaweb on the back of it to keep it together and stop it fraying
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Apparently spinaker tape, or similar, (for use on sails) willd do the job.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
TC, not a pathetic question at all - more likely one many of us are very glad you asked coz we have all been there. If using sticky tape, I wonder if 2 pieces - one in inside and one on outside - would be better.
Lots of suggestions so far, but has anyone had actual experience of repairing a tear?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes I have, get hold of the seam sealent tape used in the manufacture of breathable clothing, it will work perfectly, however if the damage is right at the bottom of the leg it might be worth getting some extra material like a balistic nylon and stitching this over the area of the ski trouser that covers the ski boot, this area does not need to breath as you have ski boots under it but it will help prevent damage in the future.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonpim wrote:

Lots of suggestions so far, but has anyone had actual experience of repairing a tear?

Yes, I tore the lower leg of my ski trousers with a crampon point I recently took the trousers to my local seamstress who unstitched the inner lining and sewed a patch on the inside then darned the tear with her special sewing machine. Cost was about a fiver I recall.

I'd tried duct tape but it didn't work. The second the material gets wet by wicking underneath the tape the duct tape comes off.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof, had the same thing done, had her put crampon patches of 1000-denier Cordura on the entire bottom inside leg to avert future 'incidents', and had her shift the zipper to the back.

I've found knee-area patches to be the hardest to accomplish; the stick-on, iron-on patches just fall off by fraying at the edges, and the boat adhesive i resorted to (active ingredient MEK) flaked off in cold. Box stitching did it.

On a related, slight tangent, I have found the aftermarket clip-on bracers just slip right off most Gore-Tex, so i had the lady put on Cordura patches at the belt line, too.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What a technical lot you are. I did just the same thing to some brand new ski pants and claimed on my insurance - got the price of a brand new pair, even tho' I'd bought mine in a sale. I'm still debating whether to chop them up and brave the slopes in ski-shorts. Could this be the start of a new trend?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not a
bad idea.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Aaaaaargh! Just imagining those things in XL.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
scream, please check your Visualisation Conversion File (METRIC.vcf). It should have automatically yielded size 6. Reinstall as needed. Wink
snow report
So THAT's why Atkins didn't work
snow conditions
you should see the tear in my ski pants thats a tear TC, but the advise above which there are many and took sometime to read is very good, so i will go away and try to get them repaired. Thank you all. Saves me asking the question
latest report
Just stitch the thing.

Or put a patch over it.
ski holidays
I've used Lancashire sports repair when I ripped the seat of my salopettes on a dry slope a few years back.

I found thier service and quality excellent

I think they charged around £30 and turned the order around in less than a week, including delivery. They are Gortex approved, and will retape seems etc. as well as patching rips.
ski holidays
I've had this problem loads, used to be due to my ski edges. A bit kamikaze in my younger days.

Sew them up and duct tape. Sooner or later the tape comes off but it's dirt cheap so just replace it and it keeps the snow out in the meantime. The sewing prevents the rip from getting bigger.
snow report
And the duct tape makes you look like a bona fide ski-bum.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy