Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grenoble to Albertville

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having just booked some Easyjet 99p flights to Grenoble in March, can anyone tell me the best route up the valley towards Albertville from the Airport, is it via Chambery or via Grenoble itself? and if via Grenoble is there a bypass or do you drive through town?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We made a proper cock-up when we drove from Grenoble airport to La Plagne (via Albertville) and ended up in Grenoble city centre - not good at rush hour!!

However, there is the motorway around the city that's dead easy to follow. I think it's something like the N27, it goes around the bottom abd up to Albertville. Anway, on the way back from la Plagne it was a breeze so Albertville should be fine. Just make sure if you're using sat nav to get it updated – ours thought were were still in the UK, telling us to drive on the left and all that!!! Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
get onto the motorway going south, towards Grenoble, but then follow the signposting to Albertville. The signposting is not exactly up to motorway standard, but you still shouldn't really have any problems. The cross country route towards Chambery via "Les Echelles" is slow.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Specialman, pam w,
Thank you both, it was the Les Echelles route I was wondering about, as viaMichelin and Google maps didn't use it. Yet in the Atlas it looked slightly shorter.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would head for Chambery and then Albertville takes care of itself..
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
boredsurfin, when you get to Albertville there's a big shopping centre thingy on the left (you just take a slip road off the main motorway) and it's well cheap. We stocked up on booze, food and sundries before we got to the resort and saved loads on SPAR prices. Plus, the booze selection is better and they sell pig's brains - nice!!! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Specialman wrote:
We made a proper cock-up when we drove from Grenoble airport to La Plagne (via Albertville) and ended up in Grenoble city centre - not good at rush hour!!

You havn't been on the by pass during rush hour then Happy Plus they have built an Ikea store which will open soon. If I go to Grenoble airport I always drive through the town.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof, I only drove on the motorway back to th airport and that was at about 7am I hit Grenoble, obviously before rush hour.

Actually, when we got lost in thecity centre it was more the fact we were driving left-hand drive cars in a very unfamiliar place that did us in! The trams which just appear out of nowhere freaked me too!! It was such a lovely place as well but I just wasn't in the mood!! Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Specialman wrote:
It was such a lovely place

Lovely place? The Armpit of the Alpes... are you sure you were in Grenoble? Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

The Armpit of the Alpes

You're thinking of Moutiers.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard, Laughing Laughing
The Super U in Moutier has been refurbished last winter, so some things are improving Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof wrote:
Specialman wrote:
It was such a lovely place

Lovely place? The Armpit of the Alpes... are you sure you were in Grenoble? Shocked

I thought it looked quite an impressive place. Good architecture and the river running through the middle looked spot on for fishing!! Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

a big shopping centre thingy on the left

Yes, the "centre commerciale", and worth knowing that the Geant supermarket is open all day. Also a big Decathlon, right near Geant, should you need any cheap ski gear.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

open all day

except, of course, Sundays!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Specialman wrote:
Good architecture and the river running through the middle looked spot on for fishing!! Smile

There is the old town - which is ok as far as it goes and if you can avoid the pervasive dog poo. There are some very nice hôtel particulier, some dating from the middle ages with logia and all that but the area is a slum district and needs a lot of money spending on it. Fish from the river, you'd be well advised not to eat them. The rest of the town is a tribute to every architectural fad of the 20th century - it is like an open air museum of dodgy buildings. Successive mayors have had delusions of grandeur worse than Louis 14th. The stadium is the latest example, a 20,000 seat mega stadium for a French 2nd division football club that barely gets 1000 spectators.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy