Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Board (Does it need Waxed)

Poster: A snowHead
Ive had people telling me it does and people telling me it does nt!!!!

Does anyone actually know?

Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Almost certainly yes, and probably a few times to really fill the stucture.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
can not do any harm, also my new Flow board had a series of tiny grooves/pockets in the base that acted like a series of little wax reserviors, so it really needed to be waxed
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rayscoops, there shouldn't be any wax visable on the base after its been done, the grooves are to allow water to run off the base to stop your board sticking to the snow.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Il have to get it in somewhere then im no even going to attempt it myself!!!

Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dave_wick, ah go on it's really therapeutic
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Swirly, yes, something like that, a bit like a tyre, it helps it run on the snow, but the point was that it needed a wax to maximise this effect wink what happens with a base grind? do the indentations get ground out? - confused the techie guy though when he suggested that I may want to get a base grind to get few light scratches out
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rayscoops, thw grind adds the structure you're talking about, a decent tuner will be able to vary the depth/ pattern to suit the type of snow you're riding on. If the scratches are minor you don't need a grind: the base is pretty thin and grinding it can take up to 0.5mm off it every time, if you did this every time you got a few scratches you'd have no base left! IMO the time to get it ground is once there are quite a few scratches that are fairly deep (around the 0.5mm mark) but not deep enough to be bothered filling with ptex, if there's a few you've had to repair too then send it in. However, if its just a few deep ones you've filled then there's not much point as you should have done a good enough job on them anyway Toofy Grin

Hopefully spyderjon will see this: he's the expert!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the scratches are not deep and but maybe one is up to about 0.5 mm I guess, right at the side edge, (more of a smoothe indent than anything that could possible be described as a gouge), but not through the base layer. I do not notice anything bad when I ride so i am not too worried, the techie guy looked at the base and I think was after a bit of work. Never tried any remedials to a board before, but I might give it ago out of boredom. BTW bought 'Onboard' to day with the free DVD - some guys are doing tricks with only one foot in the bindings Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dave_wick,

I too have a brand new board and I have been told that it has been factory waxed and should last a week. I am not taking any chances though and I'm booking it in for a wax about two weeks before we go on hols. I don,t know where ya got ya board but I blagged a freebie wax and service from the shop. Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mines was shiped from Germany or Austria so im no going over there for a wax! hahaha.

Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dave_wick, i used my new Rome with factory wax after i was told by the shop it would be ok. They were wrong. It was dry as a bone by the time i got back & was then told when i took it in to be serviced it was in really bad shape!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How often are you supposed to wax a board? What is involved and how much does it cost (if you don't do it yourself)?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PhotoTim, I wax mine every week, shop costs vary, normally around £15 (in the UK) for a wax and edge so it can add up quickly if you're doing a ot although it's generally a bit cheaper in resort it still works out best to do it yourself. You can hot wax clean it too which the shop probably wouldn't do, this is better for the base than coating it in wax remover.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dave_wick, factory wax = crap

get it waxed and get the edges de tuned.

or we'll all be alughing at you on piste!

PhotoTim, we do ours when they need doing. look at your base, if it looks dry it needs doing. It should only cost you about 10e for a wax. Learn to do it yourself, its not rocket sience believe me!
latest report
Im going to Glasgow to work for a week will i be able to get the work done in Excape?

Very Happy
snow conditions
I wax mine twice a season whether it needs it or not Laughing and I never ever get the edges done, ever, don't believe in it.

As far as I'm concerned factory wax is for looks only and all new boards need a good waxing.
latest report
PhotoTim, I wax mine at the beginning off a trip and maybe after 3 or 4 days too, and generally touch/tune the edges up each morning.
snow report
Out of interest, a few bits I've seen written here and there have said the cheapskate option of buying a standard iron is okay but never to go for a steam iron. I know it sounds a bit obvious, but why? I'm not so dense to put water in a steam iron but do the holes in the base of seatm irons have some ill-effect when you're ironing on the wax?
latest report
dave_wick, you should be able to.

Specialman, I guess the wax gets in the holes, dunno what happens then maybe it burns. The main problem with normal irons is the temperature control is nowhere near as good as on a proper wax iron. It's likely never to be a problem but there's always a chance of a hot spot scorching the base.
latest report
Swirly, thought that wax build-up in the holes might be a reason (plus it means you're wasting wax).

Proper waxing irons are well expensive though, so i can see why folk go for cheap standard 'dry' irons. Mind you, I can't for the life of me find a traditional dry iron anywhere like Argos etc. Might just chance it witl a four quid steam iron (minus the water) from Tesco. For that price it don't matter if you fook the iron up, does it?
snow report
Specialman, if your going with a cheap iron look for travel irons, M&S did one with no holes for £5. In the end I got a proper one off spyderjon along with various other bits and bobs and a tuning guide.
snow report
Argos only do steam travel irons. Will have a look at M & S. I know my mum has an old dry iron that's huge and will be perfect for waxing a board
snow report
I use a cheap ass travel iron with holes in it, smokes a bit but hey ho, only cost 20 francs or something, imo proper wax irons are a waste of money.

Actually, here's my list of things that are a waste of money.

Nidecker bindings
Wax irons
Having your edges done
Skis
Waxing more than twice every 6 months
crazy creek boards
Shaving
mp3 downloads
latest report
Specialman, I think I got mine from Comet for a fiver.
latest report
whats the deal with getting edges done then? Is it just sharpening/polishing them? If so, does seem a little bit of a waste of time unless you're speed boarding on an ice rink.
ski holidays
PhotoTim, had my edges done mid-week when I was in France and getting the edges done did seem to give me a bit more grip, especially on icy patches. I don't think it radically transforms the board though - it's more of a minor tweak.

Waxing does on the other hand though.
snow report
edges are all in your head Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PhotoTim, it depends what you're doing. I wouldn't agree with stab's point of view, however, IIRC he does a lot of freestyle and for that it makes sense to detune (blunt) the edges as it reduces the likelyhood of catching one, especially on a rail/box. In fact it makes sense to completely detune the nose and tail of a board (unlike skis where giving less of a angle can be more beneficial). In powder sharp edges won't make a blind bit of difference either, however, on piste you can notice a dramatic difference especially first thing in the morning when you're trying to access a stash and the piste is still boilerplate. Also IMO it makes it easier to carve with sharp edges, especially if they've been given an extra couple of degrees.
snow conditions
I was a bit hasty this morning saying edges are a waste of time, if you have a burr on them then yeah getting them done is a good idea as the burr will pull you about.
The freestyle thing is another factor, I've lost count of the number of times having crap edges saved me, if I'd had, like my better half does, an 87deg edge then I would have face planted more times than I would wish to in a life time. I'd like to completely angle grind the edges off but there isn't that much park riding where I am so I'd just be shooting myself in the foot if I did.

But overall I say tuning edges is a waste of time/physcological thing. Smile Stance and technique will get you over the icey parts, eventually Laughing
ski holidays
Rightyho, here's how it all went for me:

Bought a £4.44 steam iron from Tesco today, got some wax, base cleaner and a scraper from www.datawax.com (£12) and an edge tuner off ebay (a fiver). Tools all present and correct.

Gave the base a quick rub down with some cleaner, went to work with the wax and viola - my board is as good as new. The cheapo steam iron gave great results, although I think I used a bit too much wax (3/4 of a 40g stick) , as there was a bit of a build up on the tip and tail. This came off easy though with the scraper.

Gave the base a right good scrape. Made sure I loosened the bindings first so the screws didn't pull the base inwards and had no problems at all. The base is as smooth as a baby's @rse now and all I need to do now is structure it with a stiff-bristled brush. Will get one from the cleaning section of Tesco tomorrow.

So, 30 minutes spent in the kitchen (roughly a three beer session Smile) and under £20 spent and I have a nice slippery board. Can't wait to give it a blast this weekend Smile

Think this will be my new thing on hol when I want to wind down on an evening - plus it means less spent in the resort.
latest report
Thread Hijack Alert..

Specialman,

Just loooked at your myspace site and you sure stack it with style on your videos..
snow report
cfc5mu0, cheers matey, I don't tend to do things by half (like breaking my spine into tiny pieces)!!!

My chiropractor is loving me going snowboarding!! Smile.. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy