Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Not a leg to stand on...

Poster: A snowHead
Just back (literally - stuff in washing machine already!!) from my annual sojourn to Selva val Gardena. We had a fantastic week with sun shining every day. No flight delays - everything went perfectly.

When I was out skiing one day, I noticed a guy coming down the slope who only had one leg. I didn't like to stare (cos its rude) but what i could see was that he was skiing; he wasn't using conventional poles, like the rest of us do, but they were sort of poles with mini skis attached to them. Has anybody else seen this?

I only have one word for this guy - Respect!

Put a lot of able bodied people to shame.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jb1970, very common sight - adaptive ski programme makes skiing accessible to peeps with all sorts of disabilty.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jb1970, yes. Seen that quite often. The thing that completely blew me away was seeing a group of blind people skiing in St.Moritz Shocked Each skier had a guide who was in radio contact and was giving directions which way to turn Shocked Shocked This was on a fairly crowded piste as well! Respect!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's a disabled ski club who meet at Tamworth - saw someone being taught to ski in a chair that had a monoski attached; he was using the same type of poles. Then there was an expert in a similar outfit - fantastic skill & balance.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jb1970, there's a BASI instructor somewhere with one leg. Great too. He was an instructor on a ski clinic I did, but wasn't instructing our group.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In Austria a 2 years ago there was a guy with only one leg skiing but he had an artificial leg with a small ski attached to it. Damn fine skier he was too.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jb1970 wrote:
Just back (literally - stuff in washing machine already!!) from my annual sojourn to Selva val Gardena. We had a fantastic week with sun shining every day. No flight delays - everything went perfectly.

When I was out skiing one day, I noticed a guy coming down the slope who only had one leg. I didn't like to stare (cos its rude) but what i could see was that he was skiing; he wasn't using conventional poles, like the rest of us do, but they were sort of poles with mini skis attached to them. Has anybody else seen this?

I only have one word for this guy - Respect!

Put a lot of able bodied people to shame.

Michael Milton (http://www.michaelmilton.com) is the Australian speed skiing record holder at 213.65kph...that's the record whether "able bodied" or not (it's not exactly appropriate to suggest Michael isn't able bodied if you've ever skied with him!). At various races over the years, he's been beating a good proportion of the guys with two legs!

When asked "how the hell do you do it, Mike" he replied..."I don't know how you do it...it's hard enough controling one leg!".

Legend!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frank Gardner was on Ski Sunday a couple of weeks ago doing the celebrity race course, he's now a sit-skier. choodalls did his training (rather than Graham Bell), as I understood it the little outrigger skis are the key to initiating turns on the main ski - you sort of stretch out with them in the direction you want to turn and that initiates turning on your single full sized ski.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We shoujd raise some dosh for GB disabled skiing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There's a blind school / home near here and the Blind skiers are on the mountains every day.

It is simply amazing and I have great respect for them and their assistants/ 'eyes' ...... you see them at many levels of competence and some are really good ... the most 'advanced' skiing right next to their 'eyes' responding to verbal instruction ....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some years ago I met a mum with a one-legged son at a mountain restaurant (at Serre Chevalier IIRC). She asked me if I could be with him down a red run, since she could not keep up with him on a red, but she did not want him to ski it on his own. We went, including down a gun-barrel. He skied with panache. First time I had seen this type of skiing - I was most impressed.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w,
Quote:
there's a BASI instructor somewhere with one leg
- that's Mike Hammond, who was 7th in the world overall in slalom, downhill, super G and giant slalom in 1998. (I think) he used to teach at the Hemel slope - maybe still does. He instructs able bodied skiers, then can remove his leg to instruct the disabled. Quite a guy - check his details here
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
geoffers, yes, that's the person I was thinking of, but I'd forgotten his name. However, on the course I did, he skied entirely on one leg - I only ever saw him with one ski. The people in his group said the fact that he could not demonstrate "two legged" moves (like "long leg/short leg" turns) didn't seem to matter at all, because his explanations were so clear.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Red Bull Hike and Ride (pairs comp) winning Team last year, contained a sit skier. Quite an awe inspiring short video IMV, with music soundtrack. Take a good close look at the sit ski, most are a single ski rig, this one is built with a pair.

http://www.zapiks.com/Red-Bull-Hike-and-Ride-Switz.html
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The French National Centre for Disabled skiing is in La Plagne at Aime 2000 We quite often see members of the French National team zooming about on their sit ski's, the centre also does weeks for disabled leisure skiers. Some info on their website http://www.antennehandicap.fr.st/
ski holidays
There seem to be more 'adaptive' (as they seem to be called) skiers in N.America. Some ski areas have well publicised facilities, providing kit and instruction, for example included in ski school publicity. I have no idea how the funding works. I suppose that the lower centre of gravity helps, but many of them ski beautifully and go like bats out of hell. I've seen adaptive skiers being taught, as well. It looks pretty labour intensive, with 2 instructors/pupil at least in the early stages, so it can't be an easy/cheap business to organise.
snow conditions
pam w, He certainly was working for BASS in Avoriaz last year. Top bloke, very very entertaining. What's most impressive to me is that he learned to ski after losing his leg. Deep deep respect.

Not entirely sure how he demos snowploughs though... wink

richmond, adaptive skiing is increasingly visible in Europe as well. It's been around for a while.
snow conditions
Mike is an amazing instructor. His website is www.skiskills.co.uk

A couple of years ago I was in a restaurant when Mike came in with a lower prosthetic leg attached, ski boot and leg all - all attached to each other and tucked under his arm. We didn't know who he was at the time and thought it a little, err, "strange".

5 minutes later another bloke arrived on one leg, other leg flapping.

"You seen Mike?"

"The bloke with the leg?"

"Yep. It's mine. I lost it, literally, on a corner!" Shocked

Aparently the leg had come off and Mike had had to chase after it because the ski, boot and leg and continued down the hill.
snow report
Have waterskied with disabled people in particular one blind guy, Steve, who ski jumped!!!!

Total respect, I would not do it with all my faculties intact never mind not being able to see the ramp or where I was going to land.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

That's a good idea.
snow conditions
This guy is a Brit who posts on epic & TGR and trying to get in the paralympics in Whistler. Some great clips of his skiing too.

http://www.theandycampbell.com/1/Welcome.html
snow report
Kramer, I agree too. Maybe FtS could organise it? wink

My favourite memory of Mike was watching him take his leg off and stuff it in his backpack before whizzing off on one ski..
snow conditions
Keeping your balance on one leg travelling at more than 200kph can't be easy - Milton is the only one-legged skier ever to have done it - but Kirshner has no doubt his record is about to be broken.

"Speed skiing on one leg is definitely a disadvantage for a normal mortal but not for Michael Milton," Kirshner said.

"You try and do squats on one leg and see how you go. You'd probably fall over. Michael Milton doesn't and that's the difference.

"That's why he's the achiever and champion athlete that he is."

Then again "he can't get his skis crossed, can he?" quipped Kirshner, who's known Milton for about 20 years.

Laughing

I remember watching him on the Flying K a couple of years ago.
ski holidays
Kramer wrote:

That's a good idea.

We are doing just that on CairnGorm Mountain on Saturday 15th March for Disability Snowsport UK (perhaps still widly known as the 'Uphill Ski Club') see http://whiteladychallenge.org.uk .

If you can't come along on the day and would like to support the event and Disability Snowsport UK, Winterhighland Forum member 'Hi Pennine' is collecting sponsorship online at http://www.justgiving.com/whitelady .

Alternatively if you'd like to sponsor a rider to raise money for both Disability Snowsport UK and the Cherished Uplift Fund drop me a PM on here (or on Winterhighland).

Jamie, Highland Instinct webmaster, has pledged to undertake the White Lady Challenge in his kilt... and aims to knock up an 'Everset'. So if you think that's worthy of a few extra £££££s.............
ski holidays
We should raise some dosh for GB disabled skiing.

How about individuals raising cash for their individual times at the E0sb race. Sponsorship of say £1.00 for every second over the course record? Very Happy
and perhaps a little book on finish positions. eg. £10.00 on FtS to finish in the top 10 etc wink

Now we just need someone who knows a bit about horse racing to organise it ............

Whatever happened to that chap who use to do racing tips on here? wink
ski holidays
We met a blind snowboarder in Chamonix last april who was attempting some record or first ever, think it was blind heliboarding.

Just googled it and it was heliboarding. see http://www.feeltheedge.com/ and http://www.ifyouski.com/news/newsarticle/?ObjectID=7996515

It was very impressive to watch him and his team practising on the mountain with speed. He had an instructor connected by radio and a camera man and they were flying down Bochard.
snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy