Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tele-mark Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
I was thinking of trying out tele-mark skiing at Milton Keynes. Has anyone tried tele-mark or is a tele-mark skier Puzzled

Is it more techincal than skiing? or is it just for showing off Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Madmonk, me ! Very Happy It's great. snowHead It is a bit harder rolling eyes . And no it's not
Quote:
showing off
at all ! Laughing

Have a look at www.telemarktips.com for more info..
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Madmonk, try contacting Alastair Pink who I believe is also a keen free-heeler. I suspect you'll find it harder than fixed-heel but doing it you may find will improve your downhill technique wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Madmonk, check out this thread we may have a snowHead Tele day being organised at MK soon

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=26270&highlight=
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep stll no word from Richard - I'll try calling him this weekend as emails don't seem to be getting through. June 16 = target date.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thank you everyone. Guess im just going to have to give it ago hehe. See if i like it. How do i get in on the lessons at MK?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just say "I'm in" & I'll post when something gets sorted formally.

Edit for keyboard dyslexia - a growing problem for me

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 19-05-07 20:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm in snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Madmonk, like you I was keen in giving telemark skiing a bash. I actually booked up a couple of hours telemark lessons in Tignes last April with Evolutif 2. But sadly, on the day, it had to be cancelled because like an idiot I turned up with my regular skis and all the hire shops were closed for lunch. But I was with the telemark instructor long enough for him to tell me that strong legs is a must for telemark skiing.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

long enough for him to tell me that strong legs is a must for telemark skiing.

I agree with that !

I moved over to Telemark about 5 years ago and haven't looked back.

The down sides are;
its slower, I carn't ski as fast.
jumps and aerials are more difficult.
There is a little more phaffing around getting into the bindings

However the upside are;
Its looks really cool and distinctive (yes there is a bit of showing off to be had!)
Your ankles are free which also means less likelyhood of injury
the skis are much lighter to carry
You can tour
the boots are like silk gloves to wear and walk in compared to alpine boots
you can still ski alpine

In fact I ski alpine 60% of the time on my telemarks because it is more efficient and easier on my legs. This is presumeably why it took over from telemark in the first place. But its really nice to have the choice to do both Laughing

At the end of the day I was just getting a little bored with alpine and wanted to try something a bit different. Telemark has suited me perfectly.

Give it a go snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hehe i am getting all excited, Cant wait to give it ago.

Couple questions:

I got pair Scratch BCs can i put pair telemark bindings on them? If so what binds would be good.

Wheres a good place in UK to get telemark boots? i remember when i was learning to ski and huge difference having your own ski boots made to the skiing.

ohhhh i want to go now Toofy Grin just hope my legs hold up Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret, Why would you need to wait for an "Organised" Tele-Day? What's wrong with just taking your kit onto the snow and getting on with it? Are you a bit of a "Clubman"?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Not having tried tele before and not owning any kit i thought it would be a good idea to get a lesson first. until this thread got going i didnt appreciate that MK offered both equipment rental and instruction so looks as though i can give it a try in the UK. the power of the snowHead site works again. Laughing

if can keep the cost down by joining up with a couple more snowheads and meet a few people in the process why not eh? If the summer session doesnt go off i would probably wait till i was in the mountains and get a private lesson with tele teacher i have used for alpine instruction. so no, not really a club man but the high level of tele stoke on this thread does make me want to give it a go....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i agree with skimottaret. For all the limitations of MK's slopes. Its great place to learn new skills. Plus you get rental equipment to try out telemark and if you like it great you can get your own stuff.

Thats another good point Skimottaret, about getting a discount.
go go go telemark \o/ Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Learning new things (skiing,snowboard,Telemark) in snowdomes is quite norm over here , even getting your teaching qualifications.

It is much,much cheaper than taking lessons in a resort. It is especially cheap in the summer when the snowdomes have discount rates. Ask most Dutch instructos whee there learnt to board,ski tele , teach & it will not be in the mountains Very Happy
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
skimottaret, Why would you need to wait for an "Organised" Tele-Day? What's wrong with just taking your kit onto the snow and getting on with it? Are you a bit of a "Clubman"?

The only organised bit is making sure that the MK tele instructor is there. Plus for novices it might be more fun to hack around with other novices the first time. I'd be more than happy to busk it but I'm by no means instructor standard and therefore would be an exceedingly poor example plus people can't have access to the less intimidating "bunny" slope without and instructor. Believe me you don't want to try squeezing out your first tele turn on the ice patch between 2 rails on the main slope wink

madmonk

Talk to SZK re what bindings he might recommend from his own emporium. I'd just say Scratchs would probably be a pretty good choice and a binding like the G3 Targa is pretty much industry standard. The Rottefella R8 is very similar and then there are more "active" designs.
snow conditions
fatbob, Peter S, how does telemark skis compare with regular skis for bumps and powder performance?
snow conditions
Blade, Nowhere near that standard yet but the better guys don't seem to have a problem. The natural tele turn radius is a bit wider than your average mogul so lots of rapid lead changes are required to run the same lines as an alpine skier.
latest report
Well, whatever... I'm all for signing up for a taster session at MK. It's going to be expensive for me because I'm reliant on public transport which means in addition I would have to book overnight accommodation due to the pathetic train timetables. But I intend to make the best of it by having a great day out.
ski holidays
If anyone is interested - I have a couple of pairs of alpine skis - mounted with Tele bindings - go for a small sum (say £10-£20). There is a 160 Rossignol Cut with Rainey Superloops and a 170 Salomon something (not even a carve ski) with Rivas. Both skis are ex-rental ski school skis, but ski OK. Obviously the buyer would have to collect !
ski holidays
Quote:

fatbob, Peter S, how does telemark skis compare with regular skis for bumps and powder performance?

Until this year I skied tele on Head Carvers, rock solid at speed but really too stiff to enjoy Tele for long. Ski too hard and I blow my tele muscles for the rest of the day.

I really needed much softer skis. So this year I bought some 175 blizzards and they're waaaayyyy easier than the Heads. However they do rattle if skiing hard on hard pistes.

Off piste however they are a revelation. They are my first experience of mid fat skis and they are so easy ! this april in VDI they were a joy....once the snow had softened up a bit !

I must admit I still tend to ski off piste and bumps alpine style. I can ski them (in a fashion) tele, its just easier doing it Alpine.
latest report
Bumps I still ski alpine most of the time - haven't got the lead change quick enough to tele down bumps. Powder I was fine when it was nice and untracked and not too steep. I had more problem when the powder was badly cut up and put in a lot more alpine turns. Off piste spring snow was fine, though I found it a bit harder when the snow was very soft or very hard.
ski holidays
any news about the lessons yet? is there a date set? I want to get going with telemark lessons Very Happy
ski holidays
No joy yet with the lessons. I'm still up for Jun 16 if everyone just fancies going up and having a bash even if we can't get hold of Richard.
latest report
fatbob, I'd prefer to give it a go with an instructor first; maybe a bit later in the year. Embarassed
ski holidays
fatbob, Sorry, forgot my manners, thanks for trying all the same Blush
ski holidays
ANNOUNCEMENT JUNE 16 IS BACK ON FOR INTRO TO TELE SESSION.

Made contact with Richard who is very apologetic as his website has hung-up and is frozen in time inc incoming mail.

Headcount please and preferred ETA - I know some people may now have moved on with commitments

alternatively if people want to do it in conjuction with the ski test the week after?
snow conditions
im in on this thread as well should we consolidate onto this thread for the 16th?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
23rd no good for me I'm afraid, and I think a few others said the same, but if that's what it ends up being, I don't mind dropping out.
latest report
No I think if we said June 16 that is what works best for everyone so we should stick to it. I'm relatively neutral - in the absence on the tele session I was going to go up for the ski test but I'm unlikely to go 2 weeks running.
ski holidays
fatbob, I missed this thread when it was first posted, but if there is going to be a tele get together at MK on the 16th June I would be interested to meet up with other tele interested snowHead s. I could be there from 10:00 am onwards.
latest report
The idea is a tele conversion session for those never evers who I think are all generally pretty experienced alpine skiers. I was going to go along too but just freeski as I fid I go too rusty interseason Alastair Pink, so the more the merrier.
snow report
Something I've been wondering about - I get the lighter skis, can go touring, can skim uphill bits, but does telemark confer any advantages over and above the lower chance of injury, when going down hill?
snow report
Megamum wrote:
Something I've been wondering about - I get the lighter skis, can go touring, can skim uphill bits, but does telemark confer any advantages over and above the lower chance of injury, when going down hill?

Looks cooler, all the scandi girls (+guys) do it, you get to grow a beard (if male) and not wash for weeks wink
ski holidays
fatbob,

Quote:

and not wash for weeks

That explains it then - I knew there had to be an overiding reason wink
latest report
fatbob, Not sure about "experienced alpine skiers" converting. I'm firmly in the good intermediate class. But Megamum I already have a beard although I do wash wink Little Angel
ski holidays
fatbob, Thanks, June 16th is good, Noon or early afternoon is best for me, can't do the evening. Boot size Mondo 27.0
ski holidays
yea im in for 16th june dont care what time. not sure what my boot size is. what do i need to do just turn up on the day?
ski holidays
OK I'll try for 12-13.00 start - and check we're on tomorrow - everyone might have to book themselves with Xscape or for free-teleing (Alastair Pink,) just pay on the day.
ski holidays
fatbob, any info yet on whether we have to do anything up front, or just turn up at an appointed hour? Ta muchly for organising this.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy