Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stockli Stormrider

Poster: A snowHead
Just bought today a pair of Stockli Stormrider Offroad XL 184cm. 2 days use on snow, the guy couldn't handle them. £100 without bindings, but drilled for Look, which I happen to have a pair of. They are in near perfect condition.
I wanted a pair of skis that I could use mainly on Piste but have a blast anywhere, without too much trouble.
I've got Dynastar 8800's for off piste/powder days.
I have bought the Stockli's to replace my old Dynastar Intuitive 74's which were 50/50 on/off piste.

I've never bought skis untried before, but they seemed a bargain. Very Happy
I'm 182cm- 6'0" 14 stonne.

I don't know much about Stockli Confused

Do you think I've made a good decision or is it put them on ebay time? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spyderman, those skis are a total bag of s**t but seeing as you're a fellow snowhead I wouldn't want you to be out of pocket so I'll give you what you paid for them plus the postage. Let me know how you want paying.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
you are going to have so much fun on those!!!
I thought I read a review of those by Bob Peters on Epic Ski but I can't find it.
If you get a chance you may want to PM him over there and see what he has to say. He is a stockli man!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon, Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon, Very decent of you old bean. Laughing You can have them in 3 years time, if that's OK. wink

So, are they any good then?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon, I've mounted the Look Pivot binding that I've got, as the skis were already drilled for Look, but the previous guys feet were obviously bigger than mine. It now means the boot centre mark is about 7mm forward of the mark on the ski. Is this going to make a difference, that I will feel? I'm a bit loath to re-drill them, even though I can as I have the right Jig.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spyderman, Shouldn't make a difference really as the mark on the ski is in a pretty arbitary 'mr. average' location - & it might even help, depending on your own personal fore/aft balance poit. In theory it will help turn initiation without being so far forward to cause the tails to wash out.

What you can do is compare the binding location on the Stockli's to your other skis, the binding locations on which you are obviously happy with. You do this by measuring the distance the boot mark is in front of the Centre of the Running Surface of the skis. This is how folks who've been Campbell Balanced set-up their binding locatios as whilst different skis vary in size/shape etc this dimension remains constant as it's the user's own personal fore/aft balance point. Sometimes the boot mark is a bit fiddly to see so I tend to use the front edge of the boot's toe lug as a reference point.

To measure the CRS first lock the brakes back & then stand the ski on their tails, base to base. Compress the camber so the the skis are flat against each other & the then mark a point on side/edge of the skis were the two upturned tips meet. Turn the skis though 180 & repeat by marking were the upturned tails meet. Then measure between the tip & tails marks & add an additonal mark on the ski exactly half way between the two points. This is the CRS & from this mark the distance to either the boot mark or the front edge of the boot's toe lug can be measured & compared.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 10-06-07 10:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spyderman, I'll be interested to hear from you want the factory edge angle set-up is as I presume they've still got the factory tune?

Here's what Stockli say: "Most Stöckli skis have a factory base bevel of appr. 1.25 ... 1.4° and a side bevel of appr. 1.4°. For the World Cup skis we use a bevel of 0.5° (Base) and 2 or 3 ° Side, most common is 3°."

However all of the new Stockli's I've prepped have had a 1,3 tune which is what I'd recommend you put on yours.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon, Thanks, I'll let you know after Tuesday, when I've given them a go for the day at Megamum's MK bash. The skis were put through a light stone grind, and were side edged at 89 deg. I saw it being done there were no sparks flying, as they were so good to start with. If I'm making any sense. The edges are seriously sharp now and I have polished them with a Rubber.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spyderman, A stone grind after just 2 days use - that's pretty aggressive. Presumably the machine put a 1 degree base edge angle on at the same time as the 1 degree side angle.

I'd certainly put at least a 2 degree side edge on them, preferably a 3 (& by hand not machine) or you're kinda wasting that superb Stockli torsional stiffness/edge hold capability.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spyderman, I skied a pair of these for a week with a guide in Obergurgl, great offpiste and good carvers on groomed stuff, however on overnight frozen stuff they were inclined to go into terminal judder dumping me on my hip a couple of times, overall a great ski. Have fun Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Skied them at MK yesterday. Wicked skis. I'm in luuuurve Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spyderman, are you sure wink wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CEM, Deep, Burnin' Luv wink Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
He was raving about them - honest!! Then him and Masque swapped and they were both raving about them - talk about boys and their toys rolling eyes
snow report
Megamum, but the video never lies....i did catch footage of a certain person 'getting used' to his new skis Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Megamum, I liked them but I wasn't driving them hard enough . . . I spent the day in the 'back seat' - lack of fitness, too much lard and much too little time on snow to ski or board with any degree of skill or technique . . . but I'd love to try the Stormriders on a big open red.
snow report
CEM,
Quote:

i did catch footage of a certain person 'getting used' to his new skis

Yep. Had at least 2 wobbles. The Stockli's are so very different to anything else I've skied before, they take a bit of getting used to. Toofy Grin Like Masque, says, they really need a big open run to really let rip on them. Very Happy
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Spyderman, from the glimpse in the vid, looks like you have the blue and red ones (04/05 model) ? I believe the newer ones are a little softer.

I've had a day on their Laser GS in Switzerland, brilliant fun.
latest report
I've skied mine for about 5 weeks now over 2 years and they're a great all round ski, grip on the piste is fantastic with no speed limit, smash through the chopped up stuff. The only 2 cons I've found with mine are: 1) they are unforgiving in the bumps and you can get thrown around a lot compared to a softer ski like the rossi B2 but if you're a genuine advanced skier you'll be fine; 2) in powder they work best at pace with gs style turns and don't stop (so get fit), they're a bit skinny and stiff (tip dive) for powder really unless of course you have the old school technique sorted.

I await to be flamed by someone with far more skill than me... Embarassed

Enjoy them - I know I have and will continue to do so...

Cheers

BB

PS I've got the same model as yours (red/white/blue 04/05 model) in a 174, for what it's worth I'm 5ft 10 and 81 kilos 12.75 stone and an 8 on the S&R scale.
snow conditions
bucking bronco,
I also skied the red/white/blue at 174 model, I'm 5ft 8 and 75kg and found them excellent offpiste, but I have been around for a while Blush
ski holidays
Dypcdiver wrote:
bucking bronco,
I also skied the red/white/blue at 174 model, I'm 5ft 8 and 75kg and found them excellent offpiste, but I have been around for a while Blush

My extra 6kg has got to be the difference then Embarassed - that and maybe my snowplough isn't the best for the bumps and pow? Very Happy
ski holidays
brian, bucking bronco, Mine are the Red/White/Blue ones, 184cm. I'm a bit taller at 6'0" and 14 stone.
Only had the one day at MK on them so far, but very pleased.
Not too worried about the deep powder performance as I've got the 8800's for that. I wanted them for general on/off piste hooning around.

I can see why people like them so much already though. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy