Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ideal Length....

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, just joined the forum, been browsing it for a while but i need some advice...

I'm 5'9 and 67kgs (148lbs) and intermediate to advanced level. I'm currently skiing on rossi x-fight 600's at 162cm.

They've been excellent ski's, good at whatever i've chucked at them but I find them to be a bit unstable at speed. Is this due to the length? ie too short?

I'm considering some Salomon x-wing Tornados but i can't decide on length, is 170cm fine for my height/weight/experience? What difference will i notice between the two?

Thanks in advance guys..
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
paul325i, Welcome to snowHead and well done on the transition fro Lurker to poster Very Happy
I can't advise on length but as you know, many different opinions will shortly come your way Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
paul325i, welcome. In what way are they unstable?
Length wise, for your weight, 162 sounds not far off right. You might want to go to a stiffer ski, but not necessarily longer. Saying that, a jump to 170 isn't that big. Best thing would be to demo before buying. Take a look in the events section - there are some demo days coming up - Milton Keynes, Castleford, Tamworth... You could try a ski in two different lengths and see which you prefer.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
paul325i, Welcome to the madhouse!
Quote:

I find them to be a bit unstable at speed
My solution would be to ski more slowly, but this may turn out to be a minority view on a technical thread, where macho men tend to abound! wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle, maybe we're all ski instructors. not macho! Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wear The Fox Hat, What happens to your skis if you are a little too rotund for them? Two kids and a few lazy years and I've piled on the weight since I got them - They are Fischer vision 40s.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ickabodblue, if you're really rotund, and the skis are short, you may not be able to see the tips!

Generally (and this is a sweeping generalisation, for which I will be "corrected" by many people), it is better to have a ski suitable for your weight, rather than just your height.
So if you were on 150cm and weighed 60kg, and you now weigh 70kg, then it would be worth going to a longer ski in the same range - perhaps a 160, or going for a stiffer ski.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat, Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thanks for the info, if we get a demo day at Braehead I think I'd better try something bigger and stiffer!!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ickabodblue wrote:
I'd better try something bigger and stiffer!!

Much as I would like to reply to this, I will refrain from offering my services, since this is a family forum.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ickabodblue,
Quote:

if we get a demo day at Braehead I think I'd better try something bigger and stiffer!!

Gosh, I hadn't been contemplating attending a demo day, but maybe I should re-think that. wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
paul325i, I'm the same weight but slightly shorter and think you would benefit from a longer ski if you like to get the hammer down! 170cm minimum. Good luck with your choice.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
paul325i, Are you sure you have enough pressure on the front of the ski ? 9/10ths of the people I've taught reporting this problem solved it with a bit more ankle flex ? snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ski, you are Warren Smith and I claim my £10.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mosha Marc, snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you really are am advanced level skier, then you should be able to cope with a slightly longer ski. I'm 5cm taller than you, and ski on a 183. They took a bit of getting used to, but I don't have any problems turning them.

Forgive me for being cynical, but most advanced skiers would have an idea of what length they should be looking at, and what difference an extra 10, 20, or 30cm would make.

How many weeks have you skied?
ski holidays
Kramer,
Quote:

O, would that the embarrassingly large number of weeks I've skied had turned me into an advanced skier! Embarassed Sad
ski holidays
Kramer, you're 5cm taller, but are you of a similar weight? Wink
snow conditions
Thanks guys for your replies,

Kramer wrote:

Forgive me for being cynical, but most advanced skiers would have an idea of what length they should be looking at, and what difference an extra 10, 20, or 30cm would make.

If you're 5cm taller and you're using a 183 then sounds like i should be ok on the 170 then.

When i said "intermediate to advanced" skiier i meant ability, I don't know the effects of varying length as i've simply never taken the chance to try. Obviously i won't be as "advanced" as most of the people on here but i'm only looking to enjoy skiing not compete.

I've Skiied just under 10 weeks in total, California, Austria, France.

Any opinions on the X-Wing Tornado? Seemed like a decent all rounder, did consider the Equipe GC but it looks a bit piste orientated.

Paul
ski holidays
try some out and go with what are the most fun for the type of terrain you like to ski on and the way you enjoy skiing (lots of short turns, big GS turns, bumps, etc)

I will go against most advice and say go short. I am tall and fattish at 193cm and 98kg and ski on 174's all mountains and tried the same ski in a 181 and they didnt give as much "grin" factor so went short and love em on piste and in the bumps and are fine for occasional off piste.

you will "feel" more difference in the stiffness of a ski as opposed to 8cm of length IMO on piste. not skied the rossis you have but when you say unstable what did it feel like? do the skis chatter at the bottom of the turn? do they feel "flappy" when going fast on piste, do they slide around on you when making short turns?

I am with ski, not having seen you ski but more than likely at your level you are sitting back when going fast and once you are on the tails of the ski they will feel unstable.
latest report
Quote:

Any opinions on the X-Wing Tornado? Seemed like a decent all rounder, did consider the Equipe GC but it looks a bit piste orientated.

If you're looking for at least "some" off-piste use, you definitely want to err on the long side. Go for 170 then.

I've tried the Tornado on some pretty good powder. I like it quite a bit. (I'm considerably shorter and lighter so I took the 154 which suit me just fine)
snow conditions
paul325i, "Obviously i won't be as "advanced" as most of the people on here".
Why would you think that? Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
paul325i wrote:
.....Any opinions on the X-Wing Tornado? Seemed like a decent all rounder, did consider the Equipe GC but it looks a bit piste orientated. Paul

IMO the Tornado is a dumbed down version of the Atomic Metron upon which they're modelled, ie short radius but with some width underfoot. Try a Metron M10 in either 157cm or 164cm which is designed around the 'stiffer/shorter' route as suggested by WTFH.
snow report
ickabodblue, I had the same problem with my skis this year, they had either shrunk or I'd put on too much weight for them Embarassed Biggest problem I found was that in any deep snow, off piste (although I don't venture too far off), etc I just sunk.
ski holidays
Colin B, Yeh, most people diet to fit into their jeans I'm gonna have to diet to "fit" my skis. Don't think it will make much difference to my skiing though.
Mr Blue suggests I should get wider skis Laughing Laughing Laughing . He's still alive but only just.
latest report
http://www.summitsportsinc.com/online/guides/ski-sizing-guide.html

http://www.snowandrock.com/advice/buying_guides_skis.asp

My personal opinion is that if you're between sizes - go for the bigger one. With the last 2 pairs of skis I've bought after a few weeks improving on them I'd wished I'd gone bigger, however some may argue that you won't improve if you get too big a ski. Unless you're doing multiple weeks a year you're probably better off renting and trying lots of different pairs.

Cheers

BB
ski holidays
Cheers guys nice advice...

Anybody tried out the K2 Apache Stryker?
ski holidays
This is an interesting thread. The various links given by bucking bronco suggest I need anything between 145 and 155. I was skiing 147's for a long time, and didn't really have a problem with that. However I wanted to try some more performance oriented skis (stiffer, more stable and less judder at higher speeds). Mr Doscquid, who learned years ago on 185's in the days when skis were long straight planks, thought I should go longer as well. In the end I was forced to by the lack of availability of the type of skis I wanted under 150. I ended up with Volkl Racetiger SL Racing in 155 (they actually measure 153 tip to tip, so aren't 155 at all). They took a bit of getting used to, and I like them, but they aren't as lively as the shorter skis. Having a go on his 161's, which he thinks is the ideal length for me, really confirmed that I really prefer shorter, rather than longer skis.

So, my general impression is that short is more lively, great for things like bumps where you need some rotation of the skis, longer is better for carving and higher speeds. But don't go too long - and a lot of advice from people who've been skiing for years is to go longer rather than shorter, and I'm not sure that's correct for modern skis - I'd tend to go shorter rather than longer if I were between sizes.

Out of interest, I'm only 158cm tall and weigh 50kg but am quite strong.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
bucking bronco, that first link is a bit dubious on the weight conversion, 83kg is only 180lbs, not 200 Confused
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I believe it depends what you want to do with the skis....

I'm around 65kg atm and MUCH shorter than you

I have skied a race stock GS ski in a 183cm... that was OK for arc to arc skiing but I would not have been too happy skiing those off piste (well the 0.5/3 tune contributed I guess)... I'd prefer that ski in a 176cm length I think as that would require less knee angulation until speed obtained to flex ski... I believe the previous owner of those was taller than me and similar weight and from her photo on a mag cover appeared to be able to ski them JUST FINE!! So I guess if I learnt to ski faster I'd be OK with the longer length!

I have a "cheater GS" ski in a 173cm that I love to bits... I have skied those off piste just fine and have no problems turning them when I want to...

I'd prefer to ski a pure slalom race stock ski in a 155cm if it was just for on piste and I had the GS ski for longer turns/higher speeds...

In a slalom race ski that I would buy for everyday use (eg at home in slush and ice) I'd go a 160-165cm depending on the ski - and have skied a 167cm

and my Lotta Luvs are a 160cm - much better for me than the 155cm I tried (as per instructor I was skiing with at the time)

Try the skis out - do the sort of skiing you want to use them for... then decide on length
latest report
170 plus.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy