Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to from Basel?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking at another weekend trip, Liverpool to Basel have some decent flight times and prices....

So do I go back to Engelberg, or try Andermatt or Grimentz?

Gotta be cheap, looks like I can get B&B At Cathrin in Engelberg for 80 chf per person, Bellevue about 70chf or 40 without ensuite, then with a car I could drive to Andermatt?

How far is Grimentz from Basel, what kind of price are hotels there???

I need/want decent off piste, but also some pisted stuff for one of the group, who thought Engelberg last year a bit limited for her, as everything lower down was shut.

cheers,

Greg
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski,

Grimentz to Basel..? about 4 hours unless you go east and miss the Bernese Oberland all together and then it is anyones guess but at least you'd miss a few mountain passes...!!! Far better from GVA to VDA.

The Furka pass..?? was closed when we travelled through so had to get the train and that put us at about 2.5 hrs from Andermatt.... can't really recall as we allowed all day.

I am not sure that Andermatt would be better and the runs ( 2 ) to the resort need very good snow or are a right pain. Wengen is feasible and so is Flims but don't really allow to much chopping and changing between resorts, once you get there you stay there, IMV.

I think we might have in mind that same sort of itinery as last year but might give Engelberg a miss unless it dumps... but we will go to VDA, I'm sure Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski, if you were to thinkm about Flims/Laax, there's usually a direct train from Basel to Chur, then bus up. Or if you drove, Lenzerheide is about 40 mins away at a guess and Arosa only a little more (although from what I hear Arosa wouldn't be enough of a challenge for you). One of teh nice things about Flims/Laax is that they have specific freeride areasa/routes which, I beleve, are avy controlled. If you want some serious touring, there are local ski tour maps (in fact, the series covers the whole of CH).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmm, thanks, I've spent a day at Flims/Laax and would be happy going back, how long would the drive be?

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski, about 90 minutes from Zurich so add maybe an hour? Depending on when you hit Zurich of course. When the western ring road round Zurich is opened in Spring 09, the journey will become much easier
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
probably a bit too far for a late night flight arriving into Basel for a long weekend then Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, maybe - but also worth looking at Swiss from MAN to ZRH? USually not unreasonable prices and ski carriage included?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Basel is looking the favourite - return fares:

Easyjet to Basel: (inc skis) £66.98
Swiss to Zurich: £152.90
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski, fairy snuff. I usually look at both ZRH adn BSL and quite often the extra travel time and train fare offsets the fare from Basel. Plane times out of Basel often aren't the easiest to get to from this direction either
latest report
 brian
brian
kitenski, Grimentz ought to be easier by train because of the new Lotschberg base tunnel which will be operational by Xmas. The ads in Grimentz say that you "win another 63 minutes of powder" Very Happy

By road, it's farther than GVA but not as black as painted by JT, 3 hours according to viamichelin which is usually a beatable time, motorway via Berne, Fribourg and Montreux. You'd be approx. 30 mins quicker to Le Chable which is a cheap option to be at the base of the Verbier lifts.

Hotels in Grimentz are pretty cheap, from

http://www.lemeleze.ch/html/hotel_eng.html

to

http://www.hotel-alpina-grimentz.com/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
brian, didn't the Lotchberg tunnel open this weekend?
snow report
 brian
brian
FenlandSkier, it did for some "celebration" trains. Standard timetabled services aren't starting until December though (I think).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ahh, I knew I'd seen something about an opening recently on the BBC, that was probably it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FenlandSkier, I'll be going thru there at xmas Wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cheers Brian, trouble is the flights arrive at 21.35, so a 3 hour drive ain't going to fun, and I'd assume the trains would have stopped by the time we cleaer the airport???

Verbier could be an option, but I kind like "small" resorts at the moment, less people!!

regards,

Greg
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy