Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Revelstoke discussion

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys to those that don't know Revelstoke is a small town in British Colombia. Above the town you find a tiny resort currently with 1 chairlift ..... but all is rapidly changing .... much development is ongoing and planned and thsi could well end up as a resort to rival Whistler.

Check www.discoverrevelstoke.com

I am currently seriously considering jacking in the UK selling my London property and buying a small place in Revelstoke, a small place in Toronto and a small business outlet in Revelstoke.

But what do people on this board know about, this resort or life in Canada.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Middle of freaking nowhere! 400km west of Calgary and 600km west of Vancouver! How do you get there?

Get ready for a cultural shock, I dare say. Canada has a very low population density by UK standard. And whatever population it does have, are concentrated in the few big cities. You'd better be a REALLY self-sufficient type living away from the big cities.

I'm assuming you've been to the interior of Canada like the weather. Still need to keep in mind it's one thing to spend a week there skiing but quite another to live there 6 months seeing no one but moose and bears.

Oh yes, Toronto is a nice city, although I like Vancouver more.

All in all, an interesting opportunity worth checking out in more detail.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
plectrum, I've never been to BC but Vancouver is regularly considered the best city in the world to live in. The Economist Inteligence Unit carries out a study annually and time and time again Vancouver comes out tops. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4306936.stm
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
abc, I would like to uproot and move to the mountains and although France is probably best for me as I also work in wine and living in the Mountains + Lyon or Beaune would be possible the snow record of Canada is really attractive.

How good is the public transport in Canada i.e is there rapid trains into BC from the major cities?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
plectrum wrote:
How good is the public transport in Canada i.e is there rapid trains into BC from the major cities?

Ummm - no. there's a slow train across the rockies, and the road pass east of Revelstoke is regularly blocked by avalanches it seems.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
plectrum wrote:
living in the Mountains + Lyon or Beaune would be possible the snow record of Canada is really attractive.

I think Vancouver + Revelstoke would be a much more logical combination than Toronto + Revelstoke. For one thing, you can drive (a long day) to Vancouver from Revelstoke but will have to get on a plane to Toronto.

Quote:

Purge that idea out of your mind! You'll be driving everywhere whether you like it or not. It's not Switzerland we're talking about. Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Check Biglines for discussion on this. IIRC people were saying property prices had already risen dramatically to Vancouver/Calgary levels after the original announcement a few years ago. If you've never been to Interior BC you need to ensure you can handle the lifestyle: logging, mining and outdoor folk basically.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well interestingly enough my fiancee's company have offices in Vancouver so maybe a place in both areas and a good commute during the skiing months.

Sorry got confused with toronto it is miles and miles away!

The drive looks quite fast but it is worrying reading about road closures vs 315million investment in trans canadian highway....which is true!

hmm quiet country lifestyle .... after my whole young life in London it seems blissful!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob,

This seems like good news as if the prices are rising before the major construction has occurred it will kill when all the lifts are up.
A canadian friend though also says Calgary house prices are sky rocketing right about now
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Calgary is an oil boomtown. They can't build houses fast enough for all the people moving there
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Do any of you think the resort will grow as they are expecting.

www.discoverrevelstoke.com
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No.

It may grow even faster, or much slower, but never as expected! Wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abc wrote:
No.

abc, you are about as helpful as a mogul field!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Its a long transfer from the major airports I would have thought comparisons with the growth of somewhere like Kicking Horse which has good(ish) transport links. I would think it will grow slower than Kicking horse and may not become much more than a locals ski hill 400 miles on a transfer coach is not fun.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It might mean local investors have snapped up anything desirable. buying a local business might mean that you pay a premium for the long term potential but without the short to medium cashflow while the resort is developed. IIRC Kicking Horse is about 5 years old and Golden is hardly a mink coat and champagne metropolis yet (or ever) as its only just getting on the radar of the average US/Canadian holiday punter.

If you've never been there I think you'd need to check out the area - see how you feel driving over Rogers Pass and Kicking Horse pass in a whiteout for 100s of kms just to go to IKEA etc
latest report
Russell, Transfer coach? Don't we all helicopter in these days!!!
snow report
i hope to pass through Revelstoke this August - I'll report back anything interesting.
ski holidays
A friend of ours is from Revelstoke, she's bought some land there in anticipation of it all taking off. I was talking to her mum about it (as her parents still live there), apparently there's not much there at the moment but they have big plans - it is a mountain with a lot of scope. I'm seriously looking at the possibilities there too.
At the moment I get the impression that it is a bit like Golden (if you've ever been there) ie a bit of a truck stop on the trans-canada highway, though perhaps prettier. It is also snowmobile mecca. Getting there isn't quite as bad as it seems as it's not that far from Kelowna which is easy to get to flying (i was told exactly how long it took to drive from Kelowna but I can't remember now!).

Vancouver is stupidly expensive - even compared to Cambridge (which is also ridiculously stupidly expensive)
snow conditions
plectrum wrote:
abc wrote:
No.

abc, you are about as helpful as a mogul field!

What the mogul field is trying to tell you, is you better sort out your basic technique ("priority")before attempting it. Wink

If fancying a quieter life close to the mountain is what you're after, Revelstoke looks like as good a place to be as any. And if the "speculation" pans out 20 years later, you stands to make a killing on your retirement. (but then, you'll simply retire right where you are, since you love it so much, right? which actually means you can't cash out your house either Wink )

But if you're even remotely thinking of hitting the real estate jackpot there, you better do the reseach yourself as for the future potential. Relying on the future project of the sale's office is, well, venturing into a mogul field without all the requesit skill. The sales people will tell you anything they think that will make the sale! No more, no less. So, the resort may take off sky rocketing, or it will not get anywhere at all. The reality won't be anything like what they tell you now.

Trot over to the eipcski.com and ask the folks there. There're bound to be some Canadians milling about over there. Wink
latest report
Theres also a massive redevelopment (accomodation) going on at Red Mountain . www.liveatred.com
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
Theres also a massive redevelopment (accomodation) going on at Red Mountain . www.liveatred.com

Red is an awesome ski area and Rossland is a very nice little town but it has 2 significant downsides in my opinion:
- Getting there. Castlegar (aka Cancelgar) and Trail airports suffer badly from the weather. The nearest proper airports, Kelowna and Spokane are a bit of a trek.
- Nearby Trail is home to one of the biggest zinc and lead smelters in the world - think old Eastern European factory complex!! Shocked
ski holidays
This might help

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73892&highlight=revelstoke
latest report
I went heliskiing last christmas a few kms east of revelstoke.

It was more than the most amazing thing I've ever done.

Very Happy
latest report
Spikyhedgehog, Cool
ski holidays
Mine are second from the right. wink
ski holidays
I see Arno wasn't with you though looks like Kramer may have been down the right Laughing
latest report
Mike Pow wrote:
This might help

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73892&highlight=revelstoke

the main concern seems to be access and that when you come in from the east there are many other resorts on offer. Which could infact be a bonus as if access is restricted they may be able to offset tourists to other resorts and take some of the revenue?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy