Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Remounting bindings?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
An idea popped into my head today as they are prone to doing and I'm currently trying to decide whether its a stupid one or not.

I'm thinking of getting my Scratches remounted in the freestyle position as opposd to the freeride that they are currently mounted in.

Its only about an inch of difference but would it make a great deal of diffeence to piste performance?

Also is the procedure expensive? Will the skis be as good afterwards?

Probably a stupid idea but I'd just like a little more tail on the skis.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
element, Don't do it. Everytime you drill a hole in a ski, it weakens it.
Cost is about £25.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spyderman wrote:
element, Don't do it. Everytime you drill a hole in a ski, it weakens it.
Cost is about £25.

Theoretically, that must be the case "every time you drill a hole, it weakens it". In pratice, however, unless the ski is marginal to begin with, those little holes shouldn't break a ski that's otherwise structurally sound. From what I understand, those holes should be filled with glues or whatever.

I've heard people remount bindings though I've yet to heard story of skis breaking at the old binding holes.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
element, on piste performance will be greatly improved by moving the bindings forward an inch.

They'll be fine if properly glued & plugged, especially as the new holes will be well away from the old 'un's. If they were mine I'd certainly move them & accept the theoretical weakness to get the performance I want. It's either that or punt 'em & get new 'un's.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon, Not that 19 year old Campbell Balancer chestnut again NehNeh
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
veeeight, Laughing

Actually re-reading element's initial post I presume that he actually means moving the bindings back towards the tail rather than forward. The effect of this would be to give less aggressive turn initiation but would put more weight on the tails of the ski.

element, Before altering the bindings I'd be asking if you've had problems with the tails washing out on piste or tip-dive off-piste? If so then the bindings could come back a bit. If not then why change them? Before manufacturer's starting putting the marks on the ski they would be mounted 'ball of foot over the centre of the running surface' so perhaps you could do a quick measure & see how that would compares to your current set-up.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon wrote:
veeeight, Laughing

Actually re-reading element's initial post I presume that he actually means moving the bindings back towards the tail rather than forward. The effect of this would be to give less aggressive turn initiation but would put more weight on the tails of the ski.

element, Before altering the bindings I'd be asking if you've had problems with the tails washing out on piste or tip-dive off-piste? If so then the bindings could come back a bit. If not then why change them? Before manufacturer's starting putting the marks on the ski they would be mounted 'ball of foot over the centre of the running surface' so perhaps you could do a quick measure & see how that would compares to your current set-up.

I'd have said a little more tail means a longer tail and AFAIK freestyle mounts are general forward of freeride. I'd guess if the skis feel a bit unwieldly in trees, bumps etc then forward mounting a bit won't harm.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob, Embarassed. I was right the first time. For some reason when I re-read the post I thought they were currently mounted on the freestyle setting which is of course further forward then the freeride mark.

I'd still be tempted to see how the 'BoF over CRS' measure compares.

If only there was a Balancer in NI wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh, any old bit of board and a pipe will do wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheers for the responses:)

I was just thinking that maybe if i was closer to the centre of the skis, they would be easier to rotate in the air/balance on rails and would help to drag me out of backseat landings a bit. Also carving switch would probably be a bit easier I would imagine.

Still debating it, thanks for the info.

Tempted to buy a pair of Volkl Dogen, but I'd have to hide them.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
who from?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
veeeight, Ski Bilek and UK retailers?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Filarin skis have them cheap at the mo. So does Sport Conrad, but i think Filarin actually works out cheaper Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy