Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski 9 volcanoes

Poster: A snowHead
This looks like it might be quite an explosive (Wink) summer ski trip. Only wish I could go...

http://www.snoworks.co.uk/i-skiing/9volcanoes.html
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, Phil was mentioning this when I was in St Anton in January, as a step up from his normal Chile/Argentina trip. Like you, I'd love to go, but now have only one week's leave until the end of the calendar year - so boo hoo!. It's going to be pretty strenuous though, so anyone thinking about it should get some serious uphill training in beforehand.

Just hope he's doing something similar in a couple of years when I'll be looking for a big birthday present to myself.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A few years ago (more than 10) there was a far better itinerary including the Mexican Volcano’s and numerous other along the northern Andes.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If one hires a helicopter to drop the skier at the top of the volcano and pick the skier up at bottom then the 9 runs of skiing won't last for a day.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

no, no, no, then you're totally at the mercy of visibility at the bottom. What if the steam sets in?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This fantastically exciting area of skiing is very much in the spirit of the sport. Clearly a brilliant adventure itinerary.

Does the programme address the need to remove from the atmosphere the same amount of CO2 that will be generated by all the air travel involved? What will be the CO2 output per traveller, and an estimate for the full number of travellers?

I've emailed those questions to the organisers.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith wrote:
........I've emailed those questions to the organisers.

Oh dear - poor Phil Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith wrote:
What will be the CO2 output per traveller, and an estimate for the full number of travellers?

Miniscule compared to the daily output of the volcanoes they'll ski on Wink

DG, I hope your question gets the reply it deserves.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rob, I'd suggest you check out the climatic effects of volcanoes, particularly in the closing years of the Little Ice Age (early 1800s). The deductions of scientists and meteorologists may surprise you.

Yes, it'll be interesting to see if Phil Smith is interested in accounting for something other than the cost of the travel and accommodation. Can't see any harm in an opinion-leader in the sport, who's exploiting the globe and its snows to the max, doing some CO2 calculations.

A prominent chalet operator last winter gave a commitment that all its holidays would be carbon-neutral (though I'm not clear how this was achieved), so this is hardly a radical step.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Goldsmith, your hot air melting the polar ice caps.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Goldsmith wrote:
Rob, I'd suggest you check out the climatic effects of volcanoes, particularly in the closing years of the Little Ice Age (early 1800s).

Which particular aspect do you think is interesting? I have to confess that my volcanic geochemistry is a bit patchy as my postgraduate research was in volcanic geophysics so I only spent little bit of time doing COSPEC analysis of volcanic plumes. David, perhaps you could help me out on this one?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A good (and probably most extreme) example is the eruption of Mount Tambora, linked to the 'year of no summer' in 1816.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Goldsmith wrote:
A good (and probably most extreme) example is the eruption of Mount Tambora, linked to the 'year of no summer' in 1816.

Indeed, that was a biggie. In fact, much bigger than the CO2 footprint of a dozen guys flying to South America Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Did deeper, Rob. It's not to do with CO2 ... well, at least, that's a much less significant aspect of the eruption of Mount Tambora.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Goldsmith wrote:
Did deeper, Rob. It's not to do with CO2 ... well, at least, that's a much less significant aspect of the eruption of Mount Tambora.

Are you trying to say that no CO2 was produced in the Tambora eruption in 1815? I think you should submit your paper to Bull. Volc. where a few people might be interested in your research.
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:

But how did you find the skiing that year - with no summer, it must have been great Very Happy
snow report
Rob, spare 10 minutes from this wretched viper pit and so some reading!

Mount Tambora blanketed the atmosphere in dust, which blocked solar radiation. It was one - the most significant - of several eruptions in the early 19th century which depressed temperatures from an already low level in the Little Ice Age (which scientists seem to agree ended in 1850, when the Alpine glaciers began to recede).
snow conditions
Ray Zorro wrote:
David Goldsmith wrote:

But how did you find the skiing that year - with no summer, it must have been great Very Happy

New England had a very cold winter by all accounts.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
Rob, spare 10 minutes from this wretched viper pit and so some reading!

Mount Tambora blanketed the atmosphere in dust, which blocked solar radiation. It was one - the most significant - of several eruptions in the early 19th century which depressed temperatures from an already low level in the Little Ice Age (which scientists seem to agree ended in 1850, when the Alpine glaciers began to recede).

I'm well aware of typical eruption products thanks, having spent considerably more time than you have looking at the pointy end of volcanoes. But I thought we were talking about how CO2 output of volcanoes compared to the CO2 footprint of flying a small group of skiers to the Southern hemisphere?

BTW, how's your grandmother getting on with those eggs?
ski holidays
Yet another thread started about skiing gets hijacked into yet another lecture about CO2.
snow conditions
richjp wrote:
Yet another thread started about skiing gets hijacked into yet another lecture about CO2.

It's tedious isn't it.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
richjp wrote:

It's tedious isn't it.

Very, very. Especially as DG is only doing it for effect and is the master of google.

Back to the thread topic, way out of my league but looks an amazing skiing holiday. Oh to have the money and time... Sad Sad
snow conditions
gwaelod wrote:
Back to the thread topic, way out of my league but looks an amazing skiing holiday. Oh to have the money and time... Sad Sad

There's a slightly less demanding trip as well, although equally expensive.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
GrahamN wrote:
Just hope he's doing something similar in a couple of years when I'll be looking for a big birthday present to myself.

Hmmm, my 40th ( Shocked ) is coming up in 2010.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
This looks like it might be quite an explosive (Wink) summer ski trip. Only wish I could go...

http://www.snoworks.co.uk/i-skiing/9volcanoes.html

Get thee behind me, Satan! wink Very Happy
ski holidays
David Goldsmith,

Did you watch the football last night?

i have had a quick check on the footie forums and cannot find you anywhere telling the Liverpool supporters not to travel to Athens, or the Man U supporters that they shouldn't be in Milan, as they will damage the climate.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
latest report
stewart woodward, perhaps the football-supporters' forums consist of football-spporters?
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
David Goldsmith wrote:

Are you trying to say that no CO2 was produced in the Tambora eruption in 1815? I think you should submit your paper to Volc. Bull. where a few people might be interested in your research.

Shocked
snow conditions
 brian
brian
O/t (ie. on the Goldsmith sidetrack Embarassed ) .... but does anyone know if research is being carried out into artificial use of aerosols to counter global warming ? Shirley if volcanoes can chuck tons of dust up there and cool things down, we could too ?

We could release it from easyjets wink Budget travellers save the planet ! Laughing
ski holidays
brian wrote:
O/t (ie. on the Goldsmith sidetrack Embarassed ) .... but does anyone know if research is being carried out into artificial use of aerosols to counter global warming ? Shirley if volcanoes can chuck tons of dust up there and cool things down, we could too ?

We could release it from easyjets wink Budget travellers save the planet ! Laughing

We could also build more stuff at high altitudes. Knocking up ski chalets is a pretty dusty business I understand Wink
ski holidays
brian, the current term is global dimming or solar dimming and there is some evidence that it is more directly linked to some African droughts than warming.

Back ON pseudo-topic: What should any older skier with a lifetime history of skiing pay to offset their accumulated CO2 and is there a pollution-control-technology adjusted index to compute the CO2 effect of 1950s and 1960s flights, trains, and lifts? Computing accumulated interest on this is fairly trivial, no need to go into that.
snow conditions
comprex, maybe we should inherit a CO2 debt owed by our progenitors. Reparations and abject apologies are called for, for offences dating back to the industrial revolution. James Watt has a lot to answer for. Of course the chief baddy should be an American. I guess Thomas Edison would be a good candidate. Bet he was a republican. Who needs electric light anyway?
snow report
since this has turned into an eco-debate...

if you think about it the way to fix the planet/not damage other 'earths' is to remove humans and all their influences.
In my opinion humans are the entire reason the earth is messed up.
snow conditions
crazy_skier_jules wrote:
since this has turned into an eco-debate...

if you think about it the way to fix the planet/not damage other 'earths' is to remove humans and all their influences.
In my opinion humans are the entire reason the earth is messed up.

oh dear, careful jules - you'll upset the pc brigade, and then they'll be on here as well...

anyway, ur not wrong so fair play !
snow report
crazy_skier_jules, You may well be right. However 'removing' humans (or at least significant numbers of them) has been tried before and it has always proved rather impractical. The side effects of mass genocide are fairly unpleasant too, not to mention all the trees and animals that get caught up in the unpleasantness. I believe atomic weapons can play hell with the weather too. Maybe a less radical approach would be more appropriate?

wink
ski holidays
"There are hidden contradictions in the minds of people who "love Nature" while deploring the "artificialities" with which "Man has spoiled `Nature.'" The obvious contradiction lies in their choice of words, which imply that Man and his artifacts are not part of "Nature" : but beavers and their dams are. "

Guess who?
latest report
 brian
brian
AxsMan, never heard of him, but googled it Embarassed

Here's the rest, which rather neatly sums things up, imo.

"But the contradictions go deeper than this prima-facie absurdity. In declaring his love for a beaver dam (erected by beavers for beavers' purposes) and his hatred for dams erected by men (for the purposes of men) the "Naturist" reveals his hatred for his own race - i.e., his own self-hatred."
snow report
brian, RAH - many a wise word on many a subject. Very Happy
ski holidays
brian, the second part of the quote is a lot weaker than the first, starting at 'reveals his hatred'.

'reveals his hatred for the computational load of thought required for responsible action'

is another solution to the posed scenario.
snow conditions
Quote:

In declaring his love for a beaver dam (erected by beavers for beavers' purposes) and his hatred for dams erected by men (for the purposes of men)

The beavers may very well dam themselves into extinction and they wouldn't know it. So they (the beavers) would not bother wasting their time "discussing" such possibilities nor bothering with any remedies.

Dinosaurs (and a lot of other creatures) had come and gone from the face of the earth. So will human. I found it perfectly understandable at least SOME of them (human) are trying to prolong the time our own species would exist on earth.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy