Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Expert" - "hates moguls"

Poster: A snowHead
On another forum there's a section where "experts" discuss their favourite skis for next year. One "expert" claims to "hate" moguls.

This seems odd to me - surely an expert skier is at least competent in all conditions - and IMHO should delight in gobbling up huge great moguls.

Thoughts?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think he/she is a twit. Moguls are one of the great challenges and great fun when the going is good, and really horrible when the going is tough.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't really enjoy skiing moguls, too much effort for little adrenaline. Yeah you can say, 'look at me, i've skiied that!', but that's not really what I enjoy. It's all a personal thing at the end of the day.

Give me a nice long steep red or 3 ft deep powder over moguls anyday!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Murdoch, i'm no expert but i cant say i like moguls too much as with arthritis one mogul run equals about 10 on piste runs as far as damage to the body is concerned, so i tend to avoid then. but you are right an expert should be comfortable in the moguls no matter what the conditions.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Did he say he struggles with them? You can be highly competent at something and still detest actually doing it...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I can't ski bumps, speed is comprimised. Don't know what that says about my skiing, but i don't fancy spending the time on something tiring and painful on my knees when there is always a smoother, faster line. Puzzled
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I don't know what it says about your skiing either, but it is a tribute to the power of your brain! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle, Puzzled Am i 'fick then? Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Au contraire, mon ami! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I used to ski bumps all of the time, I still like them, but boy do my knees suffer. I try to avoid them now, not looking forward to arthritis.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I used to hate bumps but a couple of days group lessons in Lake Louise about seven years ago opened my eyes to them. Granted its a lot more fun skiing fresh moguls than mounds of boiler plate but I dont shy away from them now.

Sadly poorer fitness and a couple of years off when our kids were born has meant my technique has regressed but I still get a big thrill linking turns in control through them although I guess the experts would class what I attempt more as mogulettes than moguls. I am also skiing on 8 year old first generation paraboliques at 187cm and am trying to convince myself that its these out of date planks rather than my fat a**e and poor fitness are to blame.

Ah well ya can allways dream
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I am also skiing on 8 year old first generation paraboliques at 187cm and am trying to convince myself that its these out of date planks rather than my fat a**e and poor fitness are to blame.

As someone who had recently switched to the shorte planks, I'd say you owe it to yourself to move on to those shorter new planks. If you had fun in moguls in the past on those long planks, the short planks will make moguls HUGELY FUN!

I had similar (though shorter) gap in skiing. My fitness hadn't changed that much. I could still ski fine on the long planks on wide open groomed surfaces. But the moguls must have got tighter because everyone else had shorter planks! Wink Watching other people snaking through them on their short planks doesn't boost confidence either. Sad

That is, until I put on some short ones. The moguls are suddenly jsut the RIGHT SIZE! Wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abc,

Just the reply I was hoping for, now I have a confirmation of my theory and a justifiable reason to look at new skis Toofy Grin Plus more time spent here reading ski reviews, what a chore.

Seriously though I was looking for new skis this winter, the goal is to shift a bit of weight first though but here's hoping.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just to reposition the thread, I wasn't originally seeking comment on whether you 'orrible lot liked moguls or not, but whether a self described expert could hate them - incidentally, I don't think he can do them but doesn't like them but rather that he doesn't like them as he can't do them...

Comments invited.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Murdoch wrote:
Just to reposition the thread, I wasn't originally seeking comment on whether you 'orrible lot liked moguls or not, but whether a self described expert could hate them - incidentally, I don't think he can do them but doesn't like them but rather that he doesn't like them as he can't do them...

Comments invited.

i would say unless you know him personally, your making a huge assumption
snow report
Yeah, I would say I could ski any mogul run fairly competently and without much hassle. I'm no 'expert', but just because I can ski something doesn't mean I'll enjoy it.

I wouldn't go as far as saying I hated them though..
snow conditions
graeme, not really. The essence of communication is that a message needs to be sent and received. The implication from the site is that the person in question hates bumps cos he finds them difficult.

Which then leads me to beg the question of whether an "expert" can be described as such without being able to do most aspects of the sport to a competent standard.
ski holidays
I personally expect an 'expert' skier to be able to ski basically anything that is reachable by a skilift.
snow report
David Murdoch,
Quote:

whether an "expert" can be described as such without being able to do most aspects of the sport to a competent standard.

I'm no expert, but this looks like a no-brainer to me. The answer is no. Or am I missing something?
snow conditions
Is a sprinter not an Athelete even though they maybe bad at long distance?
ski holidays
ffs, your seeing what you prefer to see because it suits your own agenda. get a life
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, the sprinter is not holding himself out as an expert at long distance. They are both athletes, each with his own expertise.
graeme, Congratulations on your 400th, even if it was a bit grumpy! Smile
ski holidays
If he can't do them, he's no "expert" skier. Period. There's no two ways about that.

It's perfectly ok to dislike them. People who ski mostly backcountry don't have moguls so they don't have to be good at them at all. But they should be able to ski them if need be.

On the other hand, he may be an "expert" on skinny up and finding the best route down?Wink
ski holidays
David Murdoch wrote:

Which then leads me to beg the question of whether an "expert" can be described as such without being able to do most aspects of the sport to a competent standard.

Are we including the race course in the "most aspects"?

What level is "competent"?
Twisted Evil
snow conditions
I don't particularly like skiing bumps. I can ski them fine though.

I usually only take race skis on trips. Race GS skis are not much fun in bumps and I don't want to risk bending either them or my slalom skis.
ski holidays
It's ok for an expert to hate them. Not ok for him to have any difficulty doing them.
snow report
Spikyhedgehog wrote:
I personally expect an 'expert' skier to be able to ski basically anything that is reachable by a skilift.

including or excluding the cross, rails, funpark and pipe?

I would say excluding those areas but others might not agree. Top level instructors are required to have some competence in these areas now aren't they?

Still I would expect someone who is an expert all-mountain skier to be able to ski moguls... after all making short radius turns where the terrain dictates is a basic skill.

After having a hate-hate experience with moguls - even after instruction - I learned to at least get along with regular bumps and found the skill was extremely useful for negociating the forest trails that often form the lower sections of ski tours in the area. I'm far from an expert skier though.
snow report
Quote:

It's ok for an expert to hate them. Not ok for him to have any difficulty doing them.

Correct. I know a very good instructor and competing pro freeskier who would fall into this category. He dislikes skiing and teaching moguls but I don't know too many people who could follow him down a zip line and look as good. Swine.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof, I would say excluding. Although I would expect an expert skier to be able to handle the majority of big kickers and also a halfpipe, and by handle I mean being able to jump over. Laughing

But then I've met 80 year olds who can ski so, so much better than me and I would call them an expert skier. But they wouldn't be able to handle a snowpark.. Shocked
snow conditions
David Murdoch wrote:
graeme, not really. The essence of communication is that a message needs to be sent and received. The implication from the site is that the person in question hates bumps cos he finds them difficult.

I wouldn't have thought the 2 positions are incompatible - one could be an expert but personally dislike moguls without being contradictory. I'd also be very carefull about defining expert as doing most aspects of a sport competently - how are everone's skills on urban rails, gap jumps and cliff hucks?
snow conditions
fatbob, I can fall off cliffs very easily Laughing I do however find the landings a touch difficult rolling eyes
ski holidays
BGA wrote:
Quote:

Correct. I know a very good instructor and competing pro freeskier who would fall into this category. He dislikes skiing and teaching moguls but I don't know too many people who could follow him down a zip line and look as good. Swine.

I'm not an instructor, but thanks anyway.
snow report
fatbob, hmmm, I guess we're into the old "what is an expert" question.

IMO, gap jumps and cliff jumps are possibly into extreme territory i.e. beyond expert. So I suggest a reasonably conservative definition of an expert as a high level instructor. So BASI/CSIA 3-4. I would be disappointed in a teacher of that level of qualification (with no physical problems) who couldn't zipper a line of bumps. They might not like them but I'd be amazed if they suggested they hated them.

And just to clarify, I was simply surprised to read that someone who called themselves "expert" hated bumps. Oh and who then went on to rave about a certain pair of skis cos they made bumps so much easier. Just conflicts with the definition of "expert" in my head.

Hey ho...
ski holidays
"Everyone Lies" (about their ability) - Gregory House, M.D.

Laughing
snow conditions
Perhaps as simple as this "expert" skier isn't much an expert in communication? wink
ski holidays
David Murdoch, i like your definition of expert and i recon by the way you talk you are more than handy in the bumps... Cool
ski holidays
veeeight, God I love House.

It's just so brilliant.

And so is Jennifer Morrison. Ahhh.. Laughing
snow report
There are several definitions of 'hate'. Which one is the poster refering to exactly?

If their knees hurt, then it is perfectly fine to 'dislike' the moguls.

If their body works well, it is hard to see why they would be averse to bumps. Nothing beats bouncing effortlessly down the hill past some loser with their skis flying all over the place.
ski holidays
my knees hurt just reading this thread Sad I miss bumps, used to love them as a child but now my knees are in such a state that I just avoid them at all costs! Evil or Very Mad

To the point of the thread then I guess like others have said it's OK for an expert to not like skiing moguls (everyone likes different things after all Little Angel ) but should be able to do it really well if they had to!
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
There are several definitions of 'hate'. Which one is the poster refering to exactly?

There are also several definition of the word 'mogul' running from fluffy little ripples on a sunny day to icy giants with Somme like trenches in a whiteout...
When all the above who love skiing moguls say that are they referring to a nice pitch of evenly spaced soft bumps? Also what is defined as being able to really ski bumps as opposed to just getting down them? Is that not as much of a question as what is an expert skier?
A few of the best skiers I know sometimes don't even bother turning in the bumps (or anywhere in fact)!! Shocked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy