Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski edges "when are they worn out"

Poster: A snowHead
reading some of the other threads this problem came to mind.

At what point do you say that an edge is nolonger able to be sharpened (and i dont mean as you fly over a cliff asyou havent been able to stop/turn on ice.

Is it thickness of edge ? or is it juct the feeling that you dont have the control you nad when they were new.

Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's the point when there is insufficient edge metal left, to allow removal of further edge material through filing and still remain of a viable thickness.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
is that type of ski dependent or how well the edge is held in the base. i only ask is in the past i have had one set of skis written off as the edger has snapped in half just under the foot and on a second pair the edge pull out the side under the foot for about 3 inch in lenth but with no break.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ntfarmer, Don't ask this lot! They always buy the latest, super-duper skis long before their edges have worn out. Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Normal edge filing is done to the vertical sides only. By removing metal, the edges become thinner and therefore weaker. Grinding the bases as well as loosing base material, thin the edges in the horizontal plane also. Edges rely on the base material also to hold them in place. If the base material is thin, damage is more likely to done to the edges also, as any scrapes will more easily penetrate to the level where the edges are fixed.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Spyderman When i have a chance to look at the edges i might be able to see how thick thee edges are. I suppose the edge at the tip and tail will be slitly less worn as most pressure is applied in the middle of the ski. Althrough i suppose that apart from touch ups the skis are servised at a shop on a grinding wheel.

maggi I think that as the ski i have are getting on for 13/14 years and 20 weeks sking as well as being thins skis the time may have come anyway. i can see this being the start of a new tread as i know little about the new skis on the block and what would suit my sking. Confused Confused
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ntfarmer, If they're 13/14 years old, they'll be knackered anyway. They deteriorate just through age. I wouldn't use a ski more than 5/6 years old. Plus ski design & technique has moved on so much, you'll be amazed how much easier a modern ski is to use.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

the ski i have are getting on for 13/14 years

ntfarmer, What! Go forth and buy some new skis. You deserve some. (And you know you want to really Laughing )
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spyderman wrote:
ntfarmer, If they're 13/14 years old, they'll be knackered anyway. They deteriorate just through age. I wouldn't use a ski more than 5/6 years old. Plus ski design & technique has moved on so much, you'll be amazed how much easier a modern ski is to use.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Spyderman"
He's been told that several times!! I try not to ski near him now, 'cos passing ski instructor's have been known to stop and suggest he buy a pair of carver's Laughing or on one occaision told Mrs ntframer to buy him a new pair Laughing

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 14-05-07 15:47; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

i know little about the new skis on the block

Just make sure they are the right colour wink

snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sage, Good advice, he needs new boots as well Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
colour is not inportant. it what they ski like that important to me. yes and the boot fund is growing ready for a visit to CEM.

with ref to the ski thread relating to cost are boots cheeper on the internet or from europe esp. with exchange rate at the moment?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think petemillis is the resident expert on buying boots off the internet, IIRC he found they were so cheap he bought 2 pairs.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FenlandSkier wrote:
I think petemillis .... bought 2 pairs.

Well, I would say, "Why, has he got four feet?"

But then I just know I'd get a rude answer .... Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FenlandSkier I dont know how CEM works but i assume that he would have to look at the plates of meat before advising on boot for me. This would mean two trips which might offset saving of net.
ski holidays
FenlandSkier wrote:
I think petemillis is the resident expert on buying boots off the internet, IIRC he found they were so cheap he bought 2 pairs.

Laughing Laughing funny fellow! Indeed - I bought 2 pairs. Previous boots were XWave 9 in 27.5. Was never happy with them due to shape of toebox. In resort I tried Diablo Magmas in 28.5 and they were really spot on out of the box, so I ordered them from Ski Bilek. But then, heeding advice from SZK and others, realised that the shell length was too long for my feet. So I went to S&R and tried the shell in the smaller size, and it really was spot on. So I then ordered the boot in a 27.5, again from Ski Bilek, and sold the first pair. It worked out ok as I the amount I sold the first pair for was a couple of quid over what I paid for them (including postage costs) so I ended up a couple of quid better off, and with boots that cost me half was S&R wanted! I had feelings of guilt about S&R so I bought a load fo Nikwax and some other bits!
It can work, but you really do need to know what you want. There's no way I would have bought the boots without first using them in resort to get a feel for what they were like shape-wise.
latest report
ntfarmer, CEM works by having a look at your feet, having a measure up, telling you what boot will fit, then sending you to wherever has the boot you need, then bringing them back for fitting and footbeds, etc. So yes, 2 trips, unless Beans in Bicester have what you need in which case you can do it all in a day.

Bonfire time for those skis though.
snow report
spyderman poor skis after years of good service can i really discard them so crually Sad Sad
latest report
ntfarmer, I've seen Fences & Garden Bench's made from skis, but for just 1 pair Bonfire or Dump is the only way.

Get rid of them.
snow conditions
but their over 700 miles away
ski holidays
ntfarmer,

Don't listen to everyone those 14 year old skis will soon be all the fashion and sooner or later someone will suggest a Snowheads Retro Bash with old straight skis and neon fartbag suits.
snow report
fatbob wrote:
ntfarmer,

Don't listen to everyone those 14 year old skis will soon be all the fashion and sooner or later someone will suggest a Snowheads Retro Bash with old straight skis and neon fartbag suits.

Can you honestly imagine the fine upstanding folk who are snowHead turning up to a bash with fartbags in their luggage?
snow conditions
fatbob,
Quote:

Snowheads Retro Bash with old straight skis and neon fartbag suits.

You've already got all the gear ready to go, in regular use? Shocked wink
latest report
Spyderman wrote:
fatbob,
Quote:

Snowheads Retro Bash with old straight skis and neon fartbag suits.

You've already got all the gear ready to go, in regular use? Shocked wink

Unfortunately not - I threw my Elan RC Slaloms in a skip last year after 10 years gathering dust but having seen some of the TGR "Short skis suck" TRs it looks a lot of fun.
ski holidays
fatbob, I've got a pair of 1980 Hexcel's in my loft. Toofy Grin
snow report
Spyderman, not by chance the blue ice model with four edges per ski?

fatbob, philistine! But that's alright, I've several NOS pairs 195cm-210cm that have yet to see a binding jig.
snow conditions
comprex Are you going to charge to have the bindings put on Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
comprex, No, sadly not just a pair of Mirage's. Got them down the other day, can't believe how light they were, especially as they were 190's. Fancied a set of Pintails at the time, but funds didn't allow.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

poor skis after years of good service can i really discard them so crually

You sound like my husband, who needs counselling after throwing out a pair of 10 year old shoes he bought for nine and sixpence.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

poor skis after years of good service can i really discard them so crually

You sound like my husband, who needs counselling after throwing out a pair of 10 year old shoes he bought for nine and sixpence.

I dont think ntfarmer will ever actually throw a pair of ski's away he just hides them from Mrs ntfarmer!! Laughing
latest report
No i send them up to boardsurfin hotel to hang on his walls. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

I have got several pairs for him dating back to 1970`s Shocked
latest report
I have still got my 1st skis from 25 years ago. Recently moved out of my parents and they made me take all my old skis with me or they'd skip them. Hmm really should get shut. Its a bit excessive really.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy