Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Touring - discussion please!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi I have posted in equipment section for advice on ski touring stuff but thought to start a post here about Ski Touring in general.

I am a complete noob to Ski Touring and so would very much like advice on what it is all about, where to go for good info, websites literature etc, experiences from fellow snowheads and also advice on best places, most famous routes in world.

Cheers in advance!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
plectrum, I don't do alot myself, in fact none this winter. However, Chamonix is regarded by many as the home of "Randonné". We stock all the kit you could ever need, so should you need any help in that direction i would be happy to spout on for weeks. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
short link

A good read.

Regards Mark
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
plectrum, Rob Collister's articles are a good place to start.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Best place I'm guessing to start building a network for "independent" ski touring is the Eagles Ski Club though its not as populated as sHs. Lots of commercial ops offer intro to touring days or weeks. I'd becommend Allen & Mike's backcountry book as a lighthearted primer & numerous Cicerrone guides cover the routes in the Alps
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.skisafaris.co.uk/books.htm

I found this from Peter Cliff.

SZK As long as your summer sale dsicounts can match sport conrad then
I may well pay your shop a visit sometime during the summer especially
as it would be good to get the boots done too. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
achilles, yah i noticed the eagles club i wil contact them over the next few months
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
plectrum, you also need to grow a beard!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chris,

one day i'll go thru puberty!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://www.swisstopo.ch/en/products/analog/maps/fkski

found this for maps too!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haute_Route

got to bless wikipedia!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
plectrum, next year's touring program for the Eagles will go up on the website sometime in june I think. the introductory week is a good way to start. it will certainly be cheaper than commercial offerings and the instruction will be just as good
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
its alpine touring for me next season, but on skiboards. i think this could be damn good fun
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
plectrum wrote...
Quote:

Hi I have posted in equipment section for advice on ski touring stuff but thought to start a post here about Ski Touring in general

I've also put something similar in the "Suggestions/Requests" topic thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=25862
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just finished my second season of ski touring. My suggestions could be summed up:

- Boots that will enable sustained skiing/skinning for hours / days without blisters. Go and see SZK in Chamonix as is very good at what he does.

- You will have to ski various types of snow conditions, so skis that cope well with all conditions are a must. On hut to hut tours you will be carrying a relatively 'large' rucksack. Thus consider skis that are longer & wider. If you are careful with you ski selection you can achieve longer, wider and low weight!

- The weight and volume of your rucksack will effect your enjoyment whilst skiing downhill and the effort required whilst skinning uphill. So be carefully about what equipment you pack in your rucksack. Don't skimp on equipment but think light weight, low volume and versatility!

- The Haute Route is very popular but there are ski tours with more downhill skiing, better ambiance and less people.
latest report
Harbord, Thanks dude, it looks like popular opinion is SZK is the way fwd for boots, route wise I think i am going to start pestering people soon at the eagles club!
snow report
Admin may have some advice Shocked
latest report
Swirly, well to be fair I suggest that it would be more of an opinion wink
latest report
Swirly, What about your advice? I hear your a massive fan of snowshoes? Twisted Evil

plectrum, I had my first ski touring adventure on the eosb, although it turned out a total pain, I'm very glad I did it, and will probably invest in some ski touring stuff for my season in tignes!
snow conditions
Ski Touring - head to Rossland BC - virtually everyone does ski touring here with the aim of getting more Powder. People do not tend to travel at guides pace - but will climb 2000 vertical ft every hour. The ex mayor here would regaularly go our many days and ski tour 10,000 ft of vertical each day. Hook up with 3 different ski touring outfits their. I would not buy much until you have had the opportunity to try a few different systems.

Very Happy
snow report
george_1, well fortunately he's asking about ski touring and although I don't use skis I will concede that if going uphill is your thing they are a much better piece of kit.
latest report
jeepers creepers 2000 ft per hour! ouch
snow conditions
George,
'
yes the plan is to go up more - so that you can ski down more in the Powder. Most people here use a Fritche Freeride binding or a Naxo binding with a Fat Powder Ski Normally about 90 mm underfoot.
Smile
ski holidays
jumperpowder, Yeah that was pretty much our plan. It showed me that it's not as hard as I thought, but I got stuck with an old pair of salomon skis 185cm, 68mm underfoot, not so ideal!
snow report
george_1, They were cutting edge kit.
latest report
george_1, Look on the brightside: They were crap for your 10 mins of skiing, but much lighter during the 3hr yomp Toofy Grin
snow conditions
george_1, finally got the (few that I had time for) pics up wink http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showgallery.php/cat/692
latest report
cool, been ultra busy and poor but will check the eagle site in june as advised.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy