Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cat skiing - in Canada

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Have heard lots about cat skiing in Canada. Does anyone out there have any direct experience with these operations?

From what I can tell on the net Chatter Creek seems to get the best reviews. However for a first time I like how Big Red Cat does Intermediate, advanced, and expert trips and is located next to an existing ski hill Red Mountain. Selkirk Wilderness also seems to have great reviews - but not sure that I am willing to commit for a week initially. Mustang Powder also looks great.

Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do they have four little skis, or two paws on one long one?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jumperpowder, There is a Cat Skiing operation very close to Fernie. Didn't do it as the skiing in resort was so good, we didn't feel the need to go.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Spyderman - thanks I have read their website - they are called Fernie wildnerness adventures - Looks like a pretty good option as well
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I skied with a SCGB rep in Cervinia who was raving about these guys:

http://www.whitegrizzly.com/
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jumperpowder,
We went skiing with Big Red Cats this season at the end of March. We timed it absolutely perfectly and had perfect deep light fluffy pow!! snowHead You really did need a snorkel almost!! Shocked snowHead
We did a few days skiing at Red mountain as a bit of a warm up - it is an awesome mountain if you like steep trees and challenging terrain.

We both skied in the advanced group which was a bit tame to be honest. A lot of this was due to the avalanche risk after so much snow, but also due to the level of other 'advanced' skiers. Big Red Cats are allegedly harsh on skiers mis-judging their ability so we didn't put ourselves in the expert group (I ski with a lot of pros who truly are experts), but really the expert level really wouldn't have been a problem.
Organisation of the cat skiing itself was very good and the guides were superb, the admin side of Big Red Cats still needs a bit of work, though they are a pretty new company so I suspect this will get better.

In a strange way, the best day skiing of the week was actually on Red Mountain, despite the fact that the conditions and snow for the Cat skiing was about as perfect as you could ever want, simply because on big snow days you can ski much steeper and varied terrain in-bounds, and even busy powder days at Red mean you only occasionally do you see another track (which of course means that run is tracked out!! wink )

If you go to Red Mountain, do not fly to Castlegar - it is aptly named Cancelgar. We got in and out OK with only minor delays, but many flights were cancelled during the week and we spent quite a bit of effort working out contingency plans - instead fly to Kelowna and Drive (oh I see your in BC so probably driving anyway!). You really need a car there. Also stay in Rossland as there is very little at the base of the mountain, but Rossland is quite nice with some decent bars and restaurants.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi jumperpowder, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've heard good stuff about Valhalla, plus Revelstoke for budget packages. The main caveat seems to be that some day trip operations seemed to be pitched at intermediate market/terrain so ask a few questions to ensure its your type of skiing and that the group will be around the same level.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stuarth,

I think you should have referred to your destination as Resort R in keeping with the snowheads tradition of keeping the precious things in life on the quiet wink About the highest average level of ski ability I've ever seen anywhere on a hill though until I dragged it down.

Not that it matters - they had a stand at the ski show last year & I didn't see anyone take much of an interest.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also try http://www.whitegrizzly.com/
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.whistler.com/cat_skiing/ is one I've heard of from another snowhead.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob wrote:
stuarth,

I think you should have referred to your destination as Resort R in keeping with the snowheads tradition of keeping the precious things in life on the quiet wink About the highest average level of ski ability I've ever seen anywhere on a hill though until I dragged it down.

Not that it matters - they had a stand at the ski show last year & I didn't see anyone take much of an interest.

Doh - forgot about that - now everyone will be there next season. rolling eyes They might have to put on 747s to Castlegar wink

Nevermind, I've got some even more difficult to get to, obscure places in BC lined up... snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Did one day cat skiing with an outfit just outside of fernie. Perfect conditions, -15, loads of fresh powder, sunny. Was a great day but not sure i'd rush to do it again, the cats are pretty slow for gaining vertical and the runs were generally short and sweet. It's definatley worth experiencing as it's different from regular lift served skiing, but as another poster said his best days were in bound at red. I did hear of snow-mobile skiing - rather than using a cat to get around you use a snow mobile - you double up with a buddy and take turns skiing / driving. Sounds excellent as the snow mobiles are a balst in their own right. Nothing like the sweet smell of two stroke oil and of course deep powder.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not quite Canada, But I understand Keystone Co., have opened up a Cat-access-only bowl that is effectively "in bounds". Has anone any experience of that this year?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JimW wrote:
Not quite Canada, But I understand Keystone Co., have opened up a Cat-access-only bowl that is effectively "in bounds". Has anone any experience of that this year?

No experience.

Thought about it while planning my 07 season but decided against it. Keystone is simply NOT a resort that appeals to me. The addition of cat skiing does make me think about it ONCE, but only for a moment before forgetting about it. wink

Keystone's "regular" runs are generally tame and VERY similar all over the mountain, to the point of boring. So, I can't help to get an impression they're attempting to spice up the terrain offered to advanced skiers. But at a hefty price to the skier!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy