Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The future of skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Dateline 1968. American SKI magazine predicts what skiing will be like in the new millennium. Way out in some cases, not that way out in others.

More here.

It's interesting to see Chamonet.com quoting John Fry's predictions for 2056 - the mind boggles at "Smart goggles will incorporate military helmet-mounted technology to project trail maps on your lenses"!
It's also interesting to see no predictions about the availability of snow to ski on, by then.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
achilles, interesting at how right they were back then. Not sure that i am particularly impressed at the tameness of their predictions for the future though Confused Still at least they still thought that there would be skiing in 50 years time.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Not sure that i am particularly impressed at the tameness of their predictions for the future though

Equally unimpressed by how some useful technology predicted by it has yet to get adopted.

In a whiteout, a "Smart goggles will incorporate military helmet-mounted technology to project trail maps on your lenses", coupled with GPS to show exactly where the skier is on that map, would be quite useful.

Ok, I'm thinking more in terms of off-piste (or backcountry touring) use.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do we think Mr Fry is personally involved in this 'smart goggle' project? Its about the only prediction that isn't stating the obvious...

Also, he cant think much of opticians.... ''Large print will be used on trail signs, catering to older skiers''.... Isn't it fairly safe to predict that in 50 years the combination of medical science and opticians may have made improvements to peoples vision?

The more I read that the more I think its one of the most useless articles ever....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmm that would be kinda silly I think to be honest because doing sports like this is all about the exploration aspect of it. I wouldn't want to start setting up my GPS tracking system to get from A to B and never get lost, getting lost is fun Wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I bet even smart goggles won't stop you dropping your sticks though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stab, you've got a right old obsession with this stick-dropping business. I don't recall ever having dropped mine in 10 seasons.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard, that's because you don't notice.
I even saw admin drop his leaving the start bar at MSB Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stab, so what you're saying is that I do not in fact have any sticks at all, having dropped them, but I have not as yet spotted this lack?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

In a whiteout, a "Smart goggles will incorporate military helmet-mounted technology to project trail maps on your lenses", coupled with GPS to show exactly where the skier is on that map, would be quite useful.

Well even pretty ordinary boats (though not as ordinary as mine) already have GPS linked to chart plotters which can do that, so a portable version would not be too out of the question.

Surely even the Americans won't have "wrinklies" ski resorts? What special features would they need, I wonder? Loos every half mile?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
achilles wrote:

It's interesting to see Chamonet.com quoting John Fry's predictions for 2056

be nice if Debs Bernard produced some of her own content instead of just cutting and pasting stuff from other people's websites.

Original Article
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof, original article seems to require a password...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lizzard wrote:
stab, so what you're saying is that I do not in fact have any sticks at all, having dropped them, but I have not as yet spotted this lack?

exactly, I bet you started the day with sticks.

I like that idea of a camera that follows you through a park filming you. Cool
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stab wrote:
I like that idea of a camera that follows you through a park filming you. Cool

already happens. At a little-known place called Inner Krems in Austria, they'll provide you with a small transmitter, you ski the race piste and a whole series of cameras pick you up on the way down the course. At the end you can go into a hut and see your run all cut together like wot you see on the telly on a sunday! Tis brilliant.

Agree that the other predictions for 2056 aren't exactly imaginitive... I see it more as a nuclear wasteland after WW3 kicks off in the middle east.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bode Swiller wrote:
already happens. At a little-known place called Inner Krems in Austria, they'll provide you with a small transmitter, you ski the race piste and a whole series of cameras pick you up on the way down the course. At the end you can go into a hut and see your run all cut together like wot you see on the telly on a sunday! Tis brilliant.

really? That's awesome.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, that sounds like a fantastic use of technology Very Happy
ski holidays
Hoppo wrote:
davidof, original article seems to require a password...

That's pretty daft, you can go to the front page and navigate to the article but you can't reach it by the direct link.
snow conditions
stab, a quick check in the loft reveals three snowboards, two skis and two sticks. Maybe I left them there in the first place, having dropped them before I even left the house. Laughing
ski holidays
the future of my sking only extans as far as the next 3 or 4 trips next season.. the future after that ill worry about when i get there..
snow report
Private ski resorts will be developed—like country clubs with snow.

Got those already here in England, except that this season they have been more like country clubs wthout snow !
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, So I guess that's how ski sunday does it?
snow conditions
Megamum, no, but in the future they might sack all the camera men and do it all remotely.

Peter S, there's already a private "gated community" ski area under discussion in Utah called Elk Meadows. The area and lifts was purchased a while back and closed to the public so that construction could begin. I think they're coming up against planning problems and local opposition though so it'll be a while before you can buy there. it's about mid-way between Salt Lake City and Las Vegas and with huge snowfall. I reckon they'll have no problem filling it with "the right kind" of upscale punter that likes totally empty runs. Yuk.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy