Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Andermatt (Makeover)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Lastnight I was reading a hardcopy about the revitilisation Andermatt after years of Military decay.. This is all I could find out on the NET but there is definitly more news round. ITS a HUGE development. This article doesnt show the full scale of the proposed resort.

http://travel2.nytimes.com/2006/08/11/world/europe/11swiss.html?fta=y
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good for the local economy, I suppose. I am surprised that such a delightful area has not been more developed before. Part of me thinks it's a pity that such development will occur - but I guess a lot of locals will benefit.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hhhmmnn, lots of talk about hotels...didn't see anything about ski lifts.

As the resort stands IMV, it has enough hotels and a hardcore kind of clientele, a lot of the skiing is done off the back of beyond. It is quite a desolate pass and exposed. The transports links are ok. The mountains are very rocky IME and to justify the type of investment talked about here, lifts would have to go up all over the place and that would be making new ski runs on new hills. It could be the same result as Alagne which got so much EU money for its lifts it had to rebuild the delightfully quiant village with hotels to pay for them and bulldoze certain things that was great about it. My feeling is..not having seen any detailed plans, is that this will be a very clever trick not to totally destroy what is there now.
For me, its a case of watch this space.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
I'm surprised it didn't mention Porta Alpina, the underground station planned as part of the (currently being dug) Gotthard base tunnel which will put Andermatt more or less directly on the main rail link between Italy and Northern Europe.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
brian, how deep will that station be, and how will you get to the surface? It's quite an intriguing plan!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There were some posts about it a while ago and it certainly looked an impressive plan.

EDIT, here we go, found it http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=216038
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FenlandSkier, thanks. 800m deep is quite incredible!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Heres the official info (in german) & lots of links.

http://www.visiun-porta-alpina.ch/

If you can get hold of a hardcopy of this months www.swissnews.ch there is more detail & plans about the project. Its not published on the online version.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 24-10-06 11:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I liked the old journey by train..even if it did take quite a few changes from Lucern
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
this picture gives a good impression of the scale of that station.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Egyptian tycoon plans alpine oasis...
Quote:
Samih Sawiris, the billionaire owner of Egypt's Orascom hotel chain, has bought up the land vacated by the army, and has announced plans to build five top-class hotels, and several hundred luxury villas and apartments. The resort will also boast an 18-hole golf course and a tropical spa and swimming pool facility.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6539199.stm
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pity in some ways, Andermatt is rather nice at the moment. But I guess the local economy needs a lift now that the army has gone.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

hhhmmnn, lots of talk about hotels...didn't see anything about ski lifts.

Golf course, yes. Ski lifts, no.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Did the BBC pick up on my original story, as we know they do use snowheads Forum for alot of there research !!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy