Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Liberal doses of Fabreze Antibacterial no good - washing machine for boot liners?

Poster: A snowHead
My much loved boots have a (ahem) problem. The liners have a fragrance of Eau de Cat Pee. Toofy Grin

Liberal doses of Fabreze anti bacterial have not done much.

Can the boot liners be safely put in the washing machine? If so, what washing gloop, and what setting?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Weeellllll, dunno really but if you are going to try then I'd suggest the gentlest wash programme (wool or silk) with ultra gentle cleaner (Dreft?) and deffo no fabric conditioner.

What about hand washing and rinsing instead? Gotta be more gentle.

May be worth PMing LZK, SZK or CEM for advice.

P.S. You've got a tom cat?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
achilles, Amazing, I was at Les Lutins at the weekend and my mate was convinced there had been a cat in the ski room there (honestly Little Angel). Obviously it was just the pong of your boots left over from January wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles, do you notice it when you're skiing? Mine always go that way - best thing is to not bother about it until it becomes overwhelming and then, if the shells have life, get some new liners fitted.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
achilles, my ski instructor mate in Alpe d'Huez always slings his in the washing machine at the end of the season.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A little trick used by those that do the washing regularly for tiny babies stuff and other delicates is to put such items into a delicates bag (mesh bag with a drawstring top), for larger items a pillow case is good surrogate. Then either knot the top or stick a rubber band round it. No idea whether linings should go through the wash - SZK, CEM etc might though, but if you do, then I think I'd put them in a pillowcase.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
achilles, Here are the questions you must answer truthfully . . .

1) Is it just your ski boots that stink?
2) Do you have a (or many) thick, yellow, crumbly nails?

If it's just your ski boots, then change your liners . . . there's probably something nasty happening to the polymers.

If all yer pedal pushers have a life of their own, it's your 'plates' wot's the problem and it's their legacy that's making your footwear reek.

Nasty nails (even a minor infection) is a major cause of 'stink'.

Cures . . .

for the footwear . . . Milton Sterilising solution, a 3% bleach soak, Tristelâ„¢(if you've access to NHS stores), Urine, UV radiation source are all effective at killing the stink.

for the feet . . . there are a number or anti-fungal treatments that include oral and paint on . . . doctor and prescription job.

For more general use, Tea tree oil (mixed at 1:10 with a carrier like sweet almond oil) applied sparingly to the nails and between the toes is a good general foot treatment.

For more aggression, use BioSen total body spray on your feet after washing and then a light coating of coconut oil on your nails and around your toes. Do this twice a day.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Blimey....the different sorts of advice available round here....got anything for a persistent corn between the smallest toe and the next one?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, properly fitting shoes usually works. wink

Ski the Net with snowHeads
achilles: too late now, but the right way to stop this is prevention.
1. Wash your ski socks every night.
2. Take out the liners every night and dry them on a radiator.
It is putting smelly socks back into soggy ski boots that causes your problem.
(Evidence? Personal experience )
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, amputation. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonpim, I took 'basic' hygene as a given wink

So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No other footware gives me this problem. My trainers don't stink. Normally, I change my socks each night. The problem first arose when I had forgotten to dry put my boots before putting them away for storage one summer. Not clever, but things are as they are.

Given that, the question is, what damage can I do putting the liners in the washing machine - bearing in mind that getting new liners sorted out before the EOSB would be tricky.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles, DO NOT PUT THEM IN THE WASHING MACHINE

it will melt the glue s and shift the padding on most liners you could try the following

1 put them in a plastic back and in the freezer overnight...this kilss the bacteria
2 speak to your local dry ski slope, they [should] have a high strength boot deodourizer spray
3 dry them properly after skiing Little Angel
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
achilles, I respect CEM, but must relate my own experience which was well before his post. I put my XWave 10 liners in the W/Mc on a normal prog at 40 degC. They came out just fine, infact they were much more comfortable after, however they took several days to dry whilst hung on the washing line. I also did the Salomon Equipe liners from my wife's boots with no problems. Other liners night react differently as CEM, says.
ski holidays
achilles, Get some new non-smelly feet Laughing
snow report
Dypcdiver, Puting a skiboot liner in a Washing machine sucessfully is an exception. It will not work with 90% of models. You guys do as you please as someone somewhere may have a liner to sell you when it gets recked. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
CEM, and SMALLZOOKEEPER, thanks guys.
snow conditions
I think you need to use a "hi-tech sterilising unit, which uses nano-silver technology"

As seen on "Dragons' Den":

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dragonsden/episodes/dragons4_ep4.shtml

Look at the "KC Jones" items.
snow report
rikochet, I remember seeing that - and thinking it would be useful for the boots!
snow conditions
CEM wrote:

1 put them in a plastic back and in the freezer overnight...this kilss the bacteria

As a microbiologist I'd point out it may kliss the bacteria but won't kill them wink, tea tree oil is probably a good bet though, it's what a lot of people use for climbing shoes: ski boots have nothing on a well used pair of synthetic rock boots for stench (puking smiley)!
ski holidays
Swirly, don't follow - how could I treat boot liners with tee tree oil?
snow conditions
achilles, I use a spray, it was advertised for shoe smell prevention and I was given it by a former housemate for my climbing shoes although I don't know where he got it from (probably field & trek as he worked there). I'd imagine you could use any sort of spraycan if you could get hold of 10% (v/v) tea tree oil to put in it.
snow report
Smartwool socks, a bachelors choice. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I use a pure oil for another purpose and put 10 drops in 1/2 pint water in a spray bottle - but you might need to dry the liners out afterwards.

How about trapping them inside a container or bag with something giving off iodine or chlorine fumes for a while (i.e. bleach in a dish), or even in a microwave? Boot folks would a microwave harm the liners? It should kill off the bacteria
latest report
Megamum, Yes, a microwave will make your liners fall to bits.
snow report
Ah...well....there's the answer then.....liners fall to bits - buy new liners Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
achilles, This may be the one Swirly, is referring to. It's available on line as well. They even do a One Gallon container if they are really bad Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Colin B, that looks like it, cheers.
snow conditions
atheletes foot cream applied in the morning will help if your plates pen and ink .. also works on your hands if your gloves take sweat hammering on a hot day..
ski holidays
Colin B, thanks. B****y Paypal. Hardly ever use it. Having to find out my password Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
The Government microbiolgist 'in the bar' said the same as Swirly,

Quote:

Some bacteria die when you put things in a freezer due to shock.

This only happens if the bacteria are in a poor condition before they are stuck in the freezer. It might keep the odour away for a short while after you take them out but it will only come back once you have worn them again.

Worth remembering that the best conditions for Bacteria to multiply are warmth and damp Sad
latest report
Also if it's the same stuff as is responsible for atheltes foot then it's fungal; not bacterial.
snow report
achilles, Have you sorted your liners out yet? I have a solution if not.
snow conditions
rpft, Well, I ordered the gloop highlighted by Colin_B. The dosh went from my account pronto. But no gloop through the post, yet.
snow report
Watching Bear Grylls in Alaska this evening shed a whole new light on how to look after bootliners. First of all he abandoned his skis and then, when he couldn't walk very well in his ski boots (surprise, surprise) he cast them off and proceeded to walk (and climb and swim) in his bootliners. Weird or what?
ski holidays
achilles, I ski often during the week & 1 weekend forgot to bring boots in - unbelievable tomcat smell, so removed liners - soaked them in hot water (for 2 hours) with tea tree (as per kramers advice) and something that smelt nice, could have been fabric conditioner - then dried them. smell gone for good. I was about to buy some new liners to replace the old ones & this was a last resort. They smell lovely now!! good luck
ski holidays
rpft, the Paxton's gloop did arrive through the post - and seems to be effective. It feels slightly sticky when it dries on my hands - do I guess there is a limit to how often it can be used - though i guess soaking the liners once a year in hot water, then using the gloop would overcome any problem. However, I'll keep your advice in mind as a back up.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy