Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Magazines - which is the best?

Poster: A snowHead
I keep reading about the various skis and equipment that folks here go one about and it puts me to wondering if I do something to familiarise myself with the sport a little more. I don't think I'd buy one each month due to cost, but if I went and bought the odd ski magazine, which is the best one to get please?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There was quite an extensive discussion on mags about this time last year actually. The ones that seemed to get the most praise were Fall-line and Dark Summer.

Dark Summer is given away free in ski shops or via mail order for a small fee to cover postage (£5 I think).
However, it's probably not what you're looking for, being very much about the Nu-skool, park-riding/ free-riding culture.

Fall-line is much more mainstream, has lots of gear reviews, resort reports etc. Probably just what you're looking for. That is, if you can't find what u need on snowHeads Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, fall-line get's my vote as well, and not just because of it's close association with snowHeads.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fallline, it seems to be on my wavelength.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fall line in the UK, Powder in the US.

If anyone wants to suscribe to powder try this link for a yera subscription, posted to the uK for the mighty amount of about £10:

https://store.primediamags.com/subscribe/powdermag/8259/

Amazing value! (I have no interest here, but I did subscribe)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rungsp couldnt agree more, I subscribe to Fall Line and Powder and both are great!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fall Line for the UK certainly, not sure what others think but I find Powder a bit pseudy? Long essays on really esoteric subjects. Photography is really good though. I quite like Ski magazine, varied articles, reviews and technique tips
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On the snowboarding front White Lines is pretty good although unsurprisingly advertising heavy. They have a free DVD every month and those alone are worth the cover price. If you subscribe you also get a rather tasty beany too. The 'injury of the month' slot is pretty gruesome though!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The real question for me is do I want to read a magazine. These days, on-line information is so good, I am inclined to think not. But I am not sure I am in a majority; in a current discussion on the SCGB forum, recently, several members have said they do like a traditional magazine.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
achilles, I guess it is a question of media preference. I subscribe to White Lines and although it is sometimes thin on editorial, the photography is stunning. I suppose reading a magazine has more of a 'high-involvement' factor than skimming webpages. Plus, taking a laptop to the lavvy might be going a bit far!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I do really enjoy reading the SCGB magazine, something i look forward to each month, i only wish there was more issues, there are some great reports on resorts all over the world, also equipment, latest news etc.

achilles, The discussion is taking place, but i am slightly worried you are in the majority, out of so many 1000's of member, we are upto 5 yes's! for the magazine Shocked Laughing

Edit: And thats me voting twice! Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
saxabar wrote:
........ I suppose reading a magazine has more of a 'high-involvement' factor than skimming webpages. ..........

Could be. I sometimes think I have the attention span of a gnat, these days. Maybe also because of work, I have got used to reading quite complex information on screen - say from a PDF - where once I would have had to read a print-out to take in the content.

Liam, I think there is nothing wrong with S+B - there is some stunning photography, and the articles look worth reading. But for almost everything, where I used to read magazines, I now go on-line.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For me it's definately Fall Line. Been a regular reader for quite a few years now. Used to get DMS&S, mainly for the technique sections (good for a few lesson ideas) but gave up on that when the adverts started overtaking the articles.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The amazing thing is that we have any ski magazines at all in this country. Unless I'm mistaken they all make a loss, but somehow keep going.

Three UK titles long defunct but quite interesting for their times: Skiing UK, Inside Edge and ... White Dreams (which was launched by the ski photographer Jess Stock). The first two were based in Scotland.

Maybe there should be an official graveyard of British ski magazines.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Goldsmith, any free space in Highgate?
ski holidays
No, I think they charge by the square foot, depending on how close to Karl Marx you want to be.
snow report
I tend to buy the Daily Mail Ski & Snowboard mag, but mostly for the competitions, rather than the quality of the articles. I did win one of their competitions a few years ago - a trip to Canada Toofy Grin

But for quality of articles, I would agree that Fall Line is better.

For things like gear and resort reviews, I would take all of them with a pinch (or even a bucketful) of salt. They all rely too much on advertising revenue to give anything a bad review.
ski holidays
David@traxvax wrote:
David Goldsmith, any free space in Highgate?

Sorry, David, I may have slightly misunderstood your question. Which one of these were you after? I'll check if there's a vacancy.
snow conditions
For a market of the UK's size there is an extraordinary number of titles. It goes something like this...

Paid for:
Daily Mail Ski & Snowboard (biggest news stand distribution)
Ski & Board (SCGB club mag)
Fall Line
Good Ski Guide
White Lines
Document Snowboard

Give aways:
Snow
Dark Summer
Tribe (Natives.co.uk mag)
Skier & Snowboarder

I've also seen something called The Piste. And what about Ski News (is it still going?), Time Out's guide. Then don't forget annuals like Where to Ski & Snowboard etc.

Next season it's thratening to get even more complex... former Publisher of Snow is bringing out a brand new title.

David Goldsmith, Inside Edge was great but, unfortunately, too "edgy" for the advertisers so they jumped ship and it couldn't continue. Skiing UK was really well put together but so incredibly technical that nobody seemed to understand it. Sadly it was also a bit too honest about certain ski brands so their advertising went west. Best mag in my view (for it's day) was Ski, produced by Ocean Publications in Buckingham Palace Road. Let's not also for get Ski Trade News and Ski Trader... this market could really do with a good trade mag / website.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller, that was a quality post. We'll have to get together over a pint or two of luke-warm beer and reminisce about the good old days.

I'm thinking of a retirement home for clapped-out ski writers and editors, not to mention ski magazine publishers. I see that you mention Buckingham Palace.
ski holidays
Powder is my favourite just becasue of the photos really. I am easily pleased. Plus if you get a subscription its dirt cheap. The only gripe i have is, as someone mentioned before the eosteric artilcles about the "power of snow", and the "spirituality of the powder" and such like. Here in New Zealand I have come across a magazine called Charter which is very localised but absolutley brilliant, very proffessionally done and lots of great articles and photos.
snow report
cham, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
snow report
Doesn't anyone remember 'The Skier' mag? I remember it well because I won a holiday competition in Courchevel with Bladon Lines. I suspect I must have been but a handfull of The Skier's entire readers audience... Laughing
snow conditions
Scarlet Pimpernel, It's still going. Been called Skier & Snowboarder for some years and no longer goes out via the news stand. I haven't seen it for a few years but I understand it goes out free via ski slopes, ski clubs, the forces etc.
snow report
Bode Swiller wrote:
I haven't seen it for a few years ...

You're not the only one. I hope they've been sending them to the British Library, because it'd be a shame to miss an issue.
snow report
Megamum, The Skier (and Snowboarder as it is now) is still going strong. It is still one of the best mags in tha market mainly coz its one of the only independents still around. It changed size from the usual thick glossy to a sort of tabloid format a few years back which has made it even better in my opinion. It's down to earth, proper stories, not this crap advertorial that all the other mags seem to have these days. I do see it from time to time in my newsagents, but like someone said above you can pick it up fro free through most of the dry slopes and most ski shops I have been into.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy