Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Must have toys?

Poster: A snowHead
OK, so I don't need ski's and I know about boot driers - which I'll no doubt invest in before next year - are there any other 'must have' toys that folks absolutely 'need'?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A season pass.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
oakley thump 2 sunglasses with built in 1 gig mp3 player
maybe even the new oakley orkr glasses, basically are bluetooth so you can take your calls and also pipe your music by bluetooth from your mp3 player
helmet cam
gps system??
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
One of the best, most boring, most useful, least expensive 'must have toys' is a simple little block of ski wax.

Take this scenario, which doesn't occur every day but when it happens can put you at a significant advantage over your peers:

New snow has fallen, at temperatures close to zero. The snow is a combination of humidity and stickiness. There is nothing more effective in this situation that to brush any snow that's stuck to your ski bases and rub on some ski wax. In a typical ski group it's a fair bet that no one else is carrying a block of ski wax (though they may have some kind of pointless spray or paste wax). Just a couple of minutes of rubbing that wax on your ski bases will transform the performance of the skis, for a price of pennies.

Just wave your fellow skiers goodbye, or trade the wax for a drink. Very profitable!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith wrote:
One of the best, most boring, most useful, least expensive 'must have toys' is a simple little block of ski wax.

Take this scenario, which doesn't occur every day but when it happens can put you at a significant advantage over your peers:

New snow has fallen, at temperatures close to zero. The snow is a combination of humidity and stickiness. There is nothing more effective in this situation that to brush any snow that's stuck to your ski bases and rub on some ski wax. In a typical ski group it's a fair bet that no one else is carrying a block of ski wax (though they may have some kind of pointless spray or paste wax). Just a couple of minutes of rubbing that wax on your ski bases will transform the performance of the skis, for a price of pennies.

Just wave your fellow skiers goodbye, or trade the wax for a drink. Very profitable!

A sensible idea, although "Zardoz Not Wax" is easier to apply than rub-in wax and is similarly effective.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
No. Save your cash for essentials like lift passes, I'd say.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Zardoz costs about eight quid, hydrocarbon wax much cheaper.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rubbing in ski wax is good healthy exercise on a chilly day. Really warms you up. Works for me, but I must admit I've not tried Not Wax (is that a double negative?)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Swiss Army Knife, essential as it comes with both corkscrew and bottle opener, get one with the sissors on as well as they're some of the best nail sissors ever made, very useful when your toenails are a little long for your skiboots, tweezers can be used to remove splinters recieved from chalet floors, the screwdrivers also come in handy for adjusting all sorts of things, get one of the full sized versions with a 3 inch long main blade, make sure its a Victorinox one (the name can be found on the main blade) because should you damage your knife or wear it out for a few pounds they will completely service or replace it, I've several different versions of which I mainly use the Swiss Champ, but less well equiped versions are just as handy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A snowboard ratchet. Not really a toy but more of a necessity. This I can say from experience having managed to reach the top of a lift minus one binding strap. Embarassed
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
2 way radios - make sure they are attached to your jacket though as they can be easily dropped.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

remove splinters recieved from chalet floors,

take slippers (ducks)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
guess this is a thread about ski related toys Embarassed Embarassed wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What kind of toys did you have in mind? Lego? [I was tempted to log a new user name: Ann Summers]
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A Bell Jetranger helicopter!
latest report
Oregon Scientific ATC2K.
latest report
saxabar, hardly a 'must-have' for a skier though are they? Bit pricey on there as well - they're 15€ here.
snow report
David Goldsmith, i was thinking more R/C helicopters...boyz toys type stuff...then again it was started by Megamum
snow report
Megamum wrote:
OK, so I don't need ski's and I know about boot driers - which I'll no doubt invest in before next year - are there any other 'must have' toys that folks absolutely 'need'?

Lizzard, as a recent convert you should have beat to me it: a snowboard! Laughing

£15 for a ratchet is rather expensive isn't it, it was the first linky with a pic to come up though.
snow conditions
One ski-related toy I saw at the Ispo sports trade fair in Munich about 15 years ago (and always wanted to source) was a tiny skier made out of wire - beautifully made, with linked joints - that made parallel turns down a slope of what looked like laminated board.

It was one of the most mesmerising things I've ever seen! All you had to do was place the tiny toy on the top of the slope and it would ski by itself! No batteries, nothing except the pull of gravity and some absolutely exquisite engineering and design on a micro scale.

Anyone seen one of these in a shop?
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, something like this?

latest report
CSJ, is that what Robogeek really looks like?
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, fantastic!

Yes, it was like that, making these magical edge changes down the slope by itself. It was a lot more beautiful than that one - just chrome/stainless wire and skis from the same material, from memory.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
A sensible idea, although "Zardoz Not Wax" is easier to apply than rub-in wax and is similarly effective.

I'd go along with that. And a Leatherman-type tool (I've lost mine Sad ).
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, I was toying with buying one of those Oregon Scientific ATC2K cameras. You reckon they're worth the dosh then?
latest report
David Goldsmith, That one may not be the most beautiful, but it skis on snow, and it's main body is a PSIA instructor pin. (He's called PSIman)
snow conditions
jonflat2, a great toy, and not too much money.
Here's one video that I uploaded while away...
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=25707
The camera was firmly strapped to my boot.

I have a few more clips, but left them at home.

Got mine from MX-1...
http://www.mx1.co.uk/products-ATC2K-Action-Sports-Camera-Actioncam_atc2000.htm
and memory cards from www.7dayshop.com

It takes the same ones as my camera, so no problems there. A set of 2 Energizer batteries would last 1 day on the snow and downloading, and you get about an hour of filming on a 2GB card when set to the highest quality with the sound on.
snow report
David Goldsmith, a little on his history... http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=21644
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I got this http://www.sportsdo.net/ for my phone which added a new dimension to the question of how fast am I, how far have I been etc. BTW my son logged himself doing 57mph Shocked
snow report
Marvel, I got that as a birthday present - it's got a few nice features.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Marvel, I got that as a birthday present - it's got a few nice features.

How do you get on with yours? I have trouble with battery life which means I loose everything if it goes flat while I'm out. Have you downloaded your activities to their website yet? Mine are logged under 'Spydaman'.
snow report
Marvel, try WTFH for me - had a couple of successes, but a few that weren't what I expected. Might be bugs in the software, not sure.
latest report
A ski speedometer

http://www.amazon.com/Tech-O-SI-Ski-Speedometer/dp/B000EQ82IM/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-3330471-8340039?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1175779429&sr=8-1&tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
Helmet?

Not exactly a toy.

For a true toy, I wonder about an infrared goggle for the white out days.
snow conditions
PisteHead wrote:
A ski speedometer

I've got one, but a Navman X300 GPS based thingie instead. Fascinating gadget.

Someone also mentioned helicopters. I bought one of THESE little indoor radio controlled jobbies recently. Great fun!
latest report
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned an ordinary compact digital camera. I always carry mine for taking quick snaps (Fujifilm F30)
ski holidays
the slingbox.
snow conditions
Megamum, Q: 'what is the difference between a little boy & a man?' A: The toys cost more rolling eyes Very Happy
snow report
Great - you're all having fun with this - I thought it might. rpft, I think you might be right!

I've got the leatherman, and a Victorinox in my bag - I tend to use the Leatherman most - Its got brilliant pliers, lovely sharp little scissors (good for those finger nails too), screwdrivers, file, and a good wavey serrated edged knife (£17 - Ebay and from everything I've seen genuine too - the quality is there). No corkscrew, so carry the Victorinox for that. We've got a digital camera, but its DH's not mine - as is the vidoe camera - they are two items that I said I wanted, but he poached the idea and then went out, chose and bought - so they're his not mine.

Wear The Fox Hat, I wonder if I can get an implant of your ski toy? If only I could turn like that.
snow report
Quote:

Helmet?

Not exactly a toy.

Wire it for sound, so you can have music without having to stick annoying things in your ears. Then it's a toy.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy