Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Snowboarding Holiday - Romania

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I've just booked a week snowboarding in Piona Brasov in Romania.

I have never been snowboarding before and after looking through brochures we decided to book Romania. We didn't want to pay a lot for our first holiday to try out the sport and heard some good reviews.

Just wondering if anyone has been before? If so what is it like? What to expect?

I've heard it's a good place for beginners as the runs are very much so for people learning. Were going at the end of Feb - what's the snow like at this time of the year?

Thanks!

Jodie Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
went to romania a few years ago for our first family skiing holiday it has a limited area but for your first time it will be fine.The instructors we had were very good so patient and always up for a laugh.Which hotel are you staying in?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah all we want is somewhere to learn the basics. We are staying in Hotel Sport, where did you stay?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jode_123, Be sure to take a walk through the trees to the Outlaws Hut - great food ( or was ) including Bear steaks, wild Boar and Reindeer Toofy Grin

As doghead, limited ski area, but nice in the right conditions, Sport hotel has the best location, but the Alpin Hotel restaurant served some great food Smile It was cheap as chips when we went but a good few years ago now - first ski holiday. Instructors were good and very patient.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
we also stayed in the sport it is a really nice hotel 100 yards to the nursery slopes so it is vey handy.You pick the equipment up from the hire shop in the hotel and we found the lads in there very helpful if you want to swap boots or anything.We chose not to go on the trip to draculas castle but the people who did were disapointed with it.we were all inclusive so never really bothered looking for bars in the resort but i think the nightlife is pretty low key anyway
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Excellent - the Sport does have a pool/sauna etc there? What's the equipment like as we are indecisive weather to buy our own boots or not? Yeah I've heard good and bad reviews of Drac's castle. I've heard there is an ice skating rink too? Is that true? Yeah were not really big on nightlife anyway - just like to have a meal and quiet drink. Did you eat out at any other restaurants? What's the food like at the Sport? Also are their hairdryers in the rooms or is it best to bring our own?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jode_123, you seem really eager to give boarding a try, hope you enjoy it Very Happy . loads of info on the 'boarding' section on boots and stuff wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi rayscoops...thanks for the post, I am very keen. Had a lesson on dryslopes and really enjoyed it! Went and booked a holiday to try it out and hopefully if I enjoy it will be having plenty more snowboarding holidays Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
just curious about Romania, how big is this resort (Kms of runs), how much for a lift pass for the week and what is the food like? Alot of questions I know but there is alot of chat about Romania and Slovenia and from what I can tell they are mostly very small resorts... Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jode_123 wrote:
Hi rayscoops...thanks for the post, I am very keen. Had a lesson on dryslopes and really enjoyed it! Went and booked a holiday to try it out and hopefully if I enjoy it will be having plenty more snowboarding holidays Very Happy

Take Knee Pads, Wrist Guards and a bum pad (camping mat cut up does the job for less than 10 quid each)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jode_123, Ice rink is an outdoor one but ok Smile Went on our last day there and borrowed a locals skates, he was well pleased I did, wouldnt take any payment and wanted me to use keep using them Madeye-Smiley ( used to play a 'bit' when younger Smile )
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jode_123, who have you booked with? couldn't find an AI operator on web search.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi all........

Bones - thanks for the message about the rink, may have to go if were not feeling too battered and bruised!!

CJ001 - booked with Neilson. Thomson, Neilson and Airtours all do the AI package for Romania.

In Garbure We Trust - the resort is meant to be small but ideal for beginners. It's not like the alps but good start for beginners (so I have heard) and the tutition is meant to be fab. As our first time on the slopes we wanted somewhere that won't be full of pro's, good school so we can learn the basics and somewhere cheap enough to book for trying out something new. The lift pass on it's on is £168 for the week (that's why the AI package works out great).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Alpin, Sport and Bradul (same hotel group) with Airtours were offering AI, AND a free bar from four in the afternoon 'till witching hour. Hic!

12 kms runs, rated four star beginner, so should be ok for a first week of pain................

John.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jode_123, enjoy! I've done a bit of skiing in Poiana since I'm from Romania, but most of it was a good few years ago. It should be good for learning to board - you won't be looking to cover 100 miles of piste. Prices have gone up a lot in the last decade but I think you'll still find it cheaper than most mainstream Alpine destinations.

Snow at the end of Feb is a better bet than in early January, though snow cover has been generally more erratic in recent years.

A less expensive but very good alternative to the Outlaws Hut (or Coliba Haiducilor to give it its local name) is Sura Dacilor. (pronounced Shoe-rah Dutch-ee-lore).

Enjoy!

in garbure we trust, Romanian resorts are small - Poiana Brasov is the largest! I'm thinking however of going touring there for a few days...I don't expect to meet (m)any others doing the same!
snow report
Hi horizon, thanks for the info! I've looked at other travellers photos of Poiana, it looks beautiful! Are you a boarder or skiier? I've heard that mostly skiiers go to Poiana, it is still a good resort for boarders though?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy