Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flat-footed, knock-kneed donkey?

Poster: A snowHead
Back from a week in Courchevel 1850, where I tagged along on some group ski lessons. I’m a 4/5 week skier, and can negotiate blues no problem, reds OK (ish) although lots of traverses, and wider blacks if I have to. My instructor watched me ski towards him and asked me if I rode a donkey on Brighton beach! I think he meant my legs were too far apart – something I’ve been conscious of but hadn’t considered it an extreme fault. My main problem is that my legs do get very tired on longer runs and I have to stop to allow the lactic acid to subside every 15 turns or so. This means I hold everyone up. I am quite fit but heavy. So I have ascribed this to my weight, but maybe it’s technique too – legs too far apart might have something to do with it. I sort of prefer a wider stance because it makes me feel more stable, but I must admit I have never (I think) fallen sideways so perhaps that really isn’t the case.
My other concern is my stance. When I’m schussing I find it very hard to adopt anything other than a slight snowplough position, and short of thrusting my groin forwards and clenching my buttocks rather unnaturally (I never need imodium!), it does seem difficult to correct it so that my skis are truly parallel. I’m told that I’m flat-footed, but when I had my boots fitted the guy at S&R did comment on it, and provide me with some kind of insert for the boot. I didn’t pay too much attention at the time, being very new to skiing at the time. Could it be that I need a much more aggressive boot fitting to correct. If I stand nonchalantly with my skis on, then the skis seem to point straight ahead and parallel. Any thoughts anyone? (Blimey it’s a long time until the next skiing Sad )
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
noggy, Go to the EOSB (not so long til your next skiing, then) and put yourself down for a dose of easiski - who's done wonders for me. If your legs are getting tired, it might just be because of poor stance, particularly if it's the quads which are causing a problem.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
achilles, I'd love to, but 3 weeks already this season means it would be difficult to swing. And I'm off on a "boy's" golf trip to Lisbon in the first week in May Little Angel
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
noggy, I too am badly knock-kneed and the only solution was to have boots fitted with footbeds and foam liners. Without the custom fit boots it was impossible for me to get into a relaxed position and stop the dreaded thigh burn.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chris, That's very helpful, thanks.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
noggy, Like you and chris, i am knock- kneed ,or at least my left leg (knee) falls in particularly when Im tired. Stopping and resting makes sense . I had new moulded foot beds fitted on my last trip (Freeride) to help with the prob, it has made a difference but when I look at videos ,im still doing it a bit. I wondered if leg strengthing exersises may help.? noggy, like you I find it hard to stay parallel and consquently find I have an 'edge'on much of the time? I am off on the EOSB, lots of help on offer there Im sure, so will let you know if there any pointers that may help . Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
moon, wish I was coming too. Perhaps ...... no, mustn't even think about it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
noggy, go on go on go on wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No, it's probably far too late Confused
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
noggy, you could always PM admin to find out... Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
noggy, ah go on.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I'm off on a "boy's" golf trip to Lisbon in the first week in May

How can you compare a golf trip to ski-ing? You can golf at home.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
noggy, you know you want to wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
noggy Always room for 1 more, I squeezed in this time last year & haven't looked back since (apart from when Charlatanefc is in the vicinity Shocked )
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Eeyore, are you squeezing in this year or are the gym sessions paying off? wink
snow conditions
FenlandSkier, Well, depends on how 'medium' the T-shirt is.. Smile
ski holidays
Eeyore wrote:
noggy Always room for 1 more, I squeezed in this time last year & haven't looked back since (apart from when Charlatanefc is in the vicinity Shocked )

And whats that sposed to mean? Shocked
latest report
noggy, just to make your decision even more difficult, u can take my place on the EoSB if you like. I was all booked up to go, but dislocated my shoulder on saturday, so am unable to take part now, so need to try and recoup some of the money, meaning u can get it for a discounted rate. If you're interested, PM me and we'll try and sort something out. U really should take the opporunity to go if u can, going to be seriously good i think.
ski holidays
And if you're worried about being a billy no mates... I'm a late addition as well with no prior knowledge of this lot who I'm going away with Shocked snowHead
ski holidays
pompeymanc, as long as you ain't a kopite, you'll be fine Wink
ski holidays
Charlatanefc wrote:
pompeymanc, as long as you ain't a kopite, you'll be fine Wink

My lot definitely play in blue... Laughing
latest report
Will you be distributing free hats to the lifties of the 3 valleys again Charlatanefc?
ski holidays
Charlatanefc wrote:

One word, INCOMING!!! wink
ski holidays
Eeyore wrote:
Charlatanefc wrote:

One word, INCOMING!!! wink

Cheeky girl Wink
ski holidays
Noggy Chris and Moon,
Here's something that will help your knock kneed stance.
Take an old credit card or piece of plastic, cut it in strips about 5 to 6 mm wide and 3 to 4 cm long, tape them together and them tape them to the binding or boot sole. Make sure the credit cards are taped to the boot or binding at the point where the boot rests on the heel piece. If you have plates on the boot soles you can insert the credit card strips between the boot and the plate, if you back-off on the screws that hold the plate.
If you're ever in Val d'isere, contact Bernard Chesneu at Skimastery for a proper alignment session.
That's the only place I know of in Europe doing alignment.
Don't let anybody fool you into thinking that footbeds or cuff adjustments can solve the problem.
Have a look here. http://www.ski-mastery.com/articles.htm
snow conditions
Then again it may help, see a bootfitter, try CEM in Bicester.
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I am on the EOSB , would you recomend a boot fitter in V.T ?
jimmjimm, Sorry ,just dont get any of that ? Plates, screws, heel piece ???? Im a Girl wink
snow report
moon, It's about re-aligning the clog(lower shell of your boot) to compensate for poor tracking(the way you knee moves over the toes based on the way the cuff, upper part of the ski boot.) It's important to help initate and carry you correctly through the turn. Can be a minefield and can get over complecated if the relationship between technican and skier is not clear.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy