Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please tell me there are people who have NOT been injured skiing!

Poster: A snowHead
The thread on being hit on the slopes makes for depressing reading. Getting injured through no fault of my own really does worry me but I am probably imagining the risk to be higher than it actually is (I hope so anyway!).

Please reassure us with tales of safe trips too!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NewSkier, 20+ years skiing and never had a serious injury or been crashed into!

I read somewhere that statistically Skiing is a very safe sport, safer than football or swimming IFIRC Very Happy

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 4-04-07 8:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NewSkier, 15 years skiing, and never been hit, or badly injured. NehNeh
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
never injured except for bruised butt (the entire butt I must add and very black as well). people tend to bounce off me due to my 'low crouching tiger' style
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NewSkier, you are almost certainly far less likely to be seriously injured skiing (sensibly) than you are every time you get into your car. Relax and enjoy yourself; being tense and worried every time you hear someone coming up behind you will make you more likely to fall, and more likely to hurt yourself when you do. I have been skiing years and never had more than some knee ligament twists - and none of them for years. I am also a 60 year old beginner snowboarder and so far managed to escape with only stiffness and bruises (mind you, some of the stiffness was the kind which makes getting out of bed, or propping myself up on my elbow to get a drink of water, quite agonising! In terms of the rest of life, staying active and keeping muscles strong, and NOT being scared of falling has to improve my chances of longer term good health. If I collect the odd minor injury along the way, so what?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
NewSkier, I know i started one of the threads, and got hurt last week, but i have done over 80 weeks skiing, and this is the first major injury. so compared to most other sports that is not too bad. i would not worry, it has not put me off, i am really annoyed that i am not allowed to go to tignes for the last week of the season, but there is always next year.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skiing since 1993 - touch wood, not a single injury. Never been hit (except once in first ski-school when the cliche thing happened - we were standing in a line, as you do, when the bloke next door but 3 in the line to me lost balance, toppled two people and one nearest me fell into me. I managed to stay up though and save the person the other side of me such is the natural skill of the Millis!). I've never crashed into anyone or made anyone fall. I always check out who else is on the piste and about to go on the piste so I get a better idea of a safe line. Selection of the best line down the piste needs to take into account moving obstacles as well as just natural terrain.
I have fallen over lots of times though, but only time I hurt myself I was walking, carrying my skis, with a rucksack on my back and my feet slipped out from underneath me. Landed flat on bottom of my back, and for a split second I thought I had really done myself in as a feeling of coldness shot down my legs. Got straight back up so obviously all ok!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NewSkier, 30+ years skiing and whilst I've sprained an ankle a couple of times and had a few bruises I've never recieved any injury more serious than that and I'm seriously overweight and unfit as well, I've even been crashed into but have always got away with minor bruises.

Injuries can and do occur but they are fortunately very rare especially if you don't do anything reckless, if you avoid skiing into trees, piste marker poles or lift masts you will avoid about 70% of the most dangerous injuries and so long as your heart is ok you are unlikely to have a heart attack, even if you fall you are unlikely to do yourself serious injury unless very unlucky
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
25 years and no serious injuries. A few minor collisions, crashes etc. but always skied away with nothing more than the odd bruise. Had more injuries mountain biking, playing football, tennis etc. A couple of my friends have had injuries, one a broken hand (beginner falling on a dry slope), the other a broken collar bone (crashed doing something silly). Neither life threatening! I consider skiing a safe sport providing you go about it the right way eg. take lessons, ski within your ability.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Getting hit/injured (minor) is all part of earning your stripes as it were. Smile I expect it to get hurt once in a while, don't go looking for injury and am pleasantly surprised when it doesn't happen.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NewSkier, Lots of us do get injured, but bounce back for more the following year snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
15 weeks over 22 years and nothing serious yet (touch wood)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
All those above, check your ski insurance before your next trip! Sods law may well prevail!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
martski wrote:
All those above, check your ski insurance before your next trip! Sods law may well prevail!

I was just thinking that Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
31+ years on snow, several of 'em full time, at least 10 of 'em part time (ie 10 or so weeks per season)... had many a narrow escape, been "properly" skiied into only once (he lost), seen many injuries happening to others including 3 deaths (heart attack x 2 and 1 head on collision)... BUT... it hasn't happened to me yet (and I'm clutching the kitchen table right now). Had a few "wear & tear" type injuries that have healed themselves with rehab and rest from the sport. I suspect my liver will be first thing to go though.

Collisions are the scariest thing IMV. A 15 stone snowboarder (sorry, but it often is) hitting you even at modest speed isn't much different to you skiing into an immovable object at 15 miles per hour (a tree will kill you at that speed). So, I always ski down the very edge of the piste (where the better snow is anyway) and try to keep my speed up. These days I avoid the busy "in" places anyway. Much prefer an unknown resort with the place all to myself.
snow conditions
a bruise and a bloody nose at the height of my injuries
snow conditions
1st injury in 23 yrs skiing... landed on top of my shoulder and stretched a few ligaments, I think I was going home the next day but that would have been the 1st time I would had to have missed a day of more. Got hit on a blue run in La Plagne which is really ironic considering the stuff we had been skiing all week before....Grrr Evil or Very Mad

And I also try to avoid busy motorway areas with masses of ants there. I was only in LP because the snow was very good and we were looking for nice drops here and there, I was heading for one of the lifts out of the main bowl. I'd seen enough carnage in Serre C that week not to take pistes for granted anymore...and still the cow hit me....!!!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 4-04-07 11:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
The biggest damage I've suffered since taking up skiing has been to my credit card and bank account.
snow conditions
16th trips so far without mishaps.

I always try to be away from the crowd. As I drove in nearly all of my trips I could afford to go to the quiet part of the resort or simply choose the quiet resort to go the day. Say if it is Porte Du Soleil I would only stop the car at a resort where it is quiet as there are plenty to choose from.

I would not go skiing during the mid term breaks unless someone points a gun at my head. If this is the case I would still choose Austria, Switzerland, Scandinavia and Northern Italy and never France.

Also I don't ski fast myself and can afford time to take a look at my back whenever I stop or start each time.

Not saying it is fool proof but there is certainly something one can do for oneself to minimise injuries inflicted from other skiers and boarders.
ski holidays
Skiing since 1983. This year was the first time that a skiing injury has curtailed my trip. Nuff said.
snow conditions
NewSkier, Mr Docsquid has never been injured skiing, unless you count a bruised toenail as an injury. He has been collided with (by a snowboarder in the US), but seems to be made of pretty solid stuff. I've not seen him fall over once in 9 weeks of skiing together, although he had flailed a few times.

I've been less lucky Sad

I tibial plateau fracture on first morning of first ski trip - not good!
One broken rib (fall on ice, landed on mobile phone) - carried on skiing, no problem
One torn triceps (jerky Poma lift, would you believe?!) - carried on skiing but has hit my plans to do a triathlon this year.
snow conditions
You can get some cracking bruises if you land on your ski poles (Similar to the one you'll get if you leave a drawer open while you unpack and then walk into it Embarassed ). That's my injury list to date...
snow conditions
I'v been skiing for 25 years , no probs, then 2 years ago my wife broke her leg and this year I broke mine.
Cant wait for next year to see what happens. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
I am NOT tempting fate by getting involved in this discussion!
snow report
Only skiing injury I have had has been a dislocated thumb but that was done on a dry slope and not on the snow. Caught it between the dendix, very painful. Sad
snow conditions
DB wrote:
The biggest damage I've suffered since taking up skiing has been to my credit card and bank account.
heheh nice darts.. i have only ever really bashed myself up and nothing to serious apart from bruises,,
i would agree than your generally better off boarding and being a lump when it comes to getting hit..
latest report
Broken metacarpal on Dendix, Brusied shoulder in Canada, tore half a calf muscle in JH and a broken rib in Engelberg. However I have lost only 2 days out of about 50 weeks this way. I have lost as many looking after toddlers with diarrhoea...
snow report
Can't say I've not been injured but I can say they've been nothing worse than you can do playing rugby, football or riding a bike. rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Started skiing regularly in 1959. Took a header (skiing) New Year's Eve 1968 and scraped all the skin off my nose. Scabby New Year! No other ski related injuries other than that unless you count frostbite, altitude sickness, hangovers, and sunburn. Skied an average of 50 days per year during that time frame. Stay fit, pay attention to your skiing and that of others and be aware of your surroundings on the mountain.....traffic, snow conditions, incoming weather, visibility, and your fatigue level. Don't be afraid to challenge yourself, but don't be stupid. Like Dirty Harry says, "A man's got to know his limitations." Also, start early (better snow, fewer people on the hill) and quit early (keeps you out of the cross hairs of tired/impaired skier/snowboarders + you're off the hill before conditions/weather deteriorate) so you can get a better seat at the bar.
ski holidays
30 seasons averaging probably 80 days per season and never had to get medical attention. Need a knocking on wood emoticon here.
snow conditions
rayscoops wrote:
Quote:
people tend to bounce off me due to my 'low crouching tiger' style

Martial Arts style skiing Eh oh! Now that's cool man Blue Gotta try that myself over Easter wink
snow conditions
I have always come back with some minor injury, apart from last year in the Dolomites, but never more than bruises and minor cuts.

I have never been hurt badly enough to miss a full day of skiing, although I did can the final afternoon tis year - but I probably would have carried on even then if the snow had been good.
snow conditions
Thanks all! That makes me feel better - kind of redresses the balance with other threads a bit!
snow report
NewSkier, Stretchered off the mountain once in 52 years! Several repetitive strain and overuse injuries, but you expect that. I have much worse and more often with the horses. Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

I have much worse and more often with the horses

Yeah, these new-fangled mechanical ski lifts are much better...
snow report
I haven't been seriously injured skiing other than the odd bruise now and again. Toofy Grin

In the icy car park at Glenshee, however, a different story....slipped in trainers, tore ligaments in my ankle, took a year of exercises before it felt at full strength again Crying or Very sad

never mind - all better now! snowHead
snow conditions
NewSkier, now this is tempting fate - 263 days skiing over nearly 30 years - 1 wrenched thumb (completely resoilved) 1 wrenched knee (do I detect earlt arthritis in that joint - probably not because I ran a PB in a 10 mile XC race last weekend) 1 heavily bruised shoulder - fully recovered.

Its the bank balance that really takes the pasting, well that and the liver wink
snow report
Quote:

I read somewhere that statistically Skiing is a very safe sport, safer than football or swimming IFIRC

"You're right there, boredsurfin... Skiing is even figured safer than fishing Shocked
ski holidays
Statistic have revealed that the mortality rate suffered amongst anglers in the course of a year far exceeds any active/dangerous sport. Most of it is caused by fishermen imbibing in UK's premier special brew and thereafter falling in said canal/river and sadly drowning.
Volunteers who work with the Swan Sanctuary are only too willing to publicise such statistics Twisted Evil
ski holidays
NewSkier, Skiing since the age of four. Managed to get through the first 38 years without any injury at all. Then broke my collarbone on a blue run in Kitzbuehel. Not going fast. No collision. Season over. Then a few more years more without problems until last year when I dislocated my shoulder on a blue run in Kleinwalsertal. Again, not going fast and no collision, but skied straight into a bank of snow in zero visibility (it hadn't been there the year before ). Unfortunately right at the start of the season. End of what had promised to be the best year's skiing for many years Sad
My conclusion : Skiing is safe, except on blue runs. Avoid them at all cost
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy