Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cross country tragedy in Norway

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Two Scottish skiers dead:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6440353.stm
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
The party were accompanied for part of their journey by two Norwegian skiers who turned back when the weather deteriorated.
Aslak Braatveit, one of the Norwegians, said: "We could never imagine they were going to continue after the weather changed. It was getting much worse.
Two points of interest.
1. You would have thought sensible Scotsmen would have thought the Norwegians knew their weather, and if they turned back the Scots would have done so too.
2. You would have thought sensible Norwegians who knew their weather would have reported that three foreigners were out on the mountain in terrible conditions and might need some help.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The news reported here in the Scotsman newspaper says the Norwegians only passed the group on Friday and were not part of the group. A quote from the article

"Kristian Årsland, 27, and Aslak Bråtveit, 55, who passed the men shortly after they set off on Friday, told the Red Cross they were certain that the Scots would give up and return to the start point Finsehytta on Hardangervidda. They added one of the men did not have the proper skis for mountain travel and they appeared to lack sufficient extra clothing. Mr Årsland and Mr Bråtveit said they regretted that they didn't make the men return to the safety of the climbing hut starting point. "
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have stayed in a hotel near the beginning of the Hardangervidda plateau - It's not the place you want to be in bad weather, especially if you do not have the correct equipment.

snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The BBC wrote:
"They were heading for a hut, a cottage, and they got lost. It was very foggy weather, it was snowy and windy," he said.

Case for having a small GPS with you for such treks? Or would there have been a problem with getting a good GPS fix so far north (are GPS satellites geo-stationary around the equator?).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Since the above post, I have been told that GPS coverage is global.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
achilles, yup, bearing in mind the original American use for GPS, not being able to drop bombs on northerners would be a big disadvantage.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
achilles, GPS satellites are not geostationary, i.e. not fixed over the equator. GPS does work in polar regions (at least I can't think of any good reason why it shouldn't).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
achilles, ....Yes GPS coverage is global and GPS is a magnificient tool, but it should be accompanied with a basic grounding of compass & map navigation proficiency and some basic knowledge of survival techniques & procedures in sub-zero temperatures. The right equipment, the topic of another thread at the moment, is also crucial, as is knowledge - mountaincraft, whatever you call it - without it a local, properly qualified guide is a must.

Part of me hopes we don't know any of these unfortunate skiers, that they are not Eagles, snowHeads, or Ski Club, but they are somebody's husbands, brothers, fathers and our sympathies go out to their loved ones.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
achilles, I can confirm that my GPS could pinpoint my position when I was north of the Arctic circle in Finland. Hardangervidda is south of that so there should be no problem in that regard.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The report in the Times today suggested that the police were investigating foul play.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Further details coming out all the time. Seems that the survivor was the father of one of the victims. http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=393652007

It may be an error of judgement, but it should be a lesson to us all... to have your child die in your arms because of a wrong decision that you made will be an unbearable burden for the rest of that guys life. Sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Elizabeth B wrote:
The report in the Times today suggested that the police were investigating foul play.

That's interesting...

It does seem odd that if they were "carrying the biggest rusack" seen by cross-country skiers, there should have been enough gear to stay alive. What were they carrying on their back (that they didn't use to keep warm)? Cases of beer?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy