Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying from Germany??

Poster: A snowHead
I was looking at some skis on a German internet site,I'm very tempted but i only have a Switch debit card and the shop only takes credit cards or bank transfer!

Has anyone bought anything by bank transfer from Germany or elsewhere in Europe as i've been told that i will get charged a silly price for doing a bank transfer for 300 euros to Germany.

Does anyone know roughly how much i would be charged to do this? Or if some places charge more than others to transfer cash abroad? Puzzled snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chaotic,
Bank of Scotland told me they have a standard fee of £17 but if you do it online or by telephone banking the fee is minimal.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was charged £20 at LLoyds TSB, but still got a saving of over £100 on the UK price Smile. Skis bought from Sports Conrad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
chaotic, Why pay a fee, just get a credit card rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Natwest charge £10, and it takes 5 days. Most German shops online will also take PayPal in my experience if you ask them, although may charge an extra 4% or so. The advantage with this is that payment goes though immediately.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have just purchased some RX8's from Ski Bilek www.ski-bilek.de but via Ebay.de They arrived this morning actually, and will be used in anger in Megeve from Wednesday.

I paid via Pay Pal and it was a fairly smooth transaction and I saved £270 on the UK price and that included shipping etc. Would not hesitate in recommending this way of buying skis to others.

The ebay prices are much cheaper than those on the Ski-Bilek website.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've bought recently from Ski Bilek va eBay. Used PayPal without problem. As others have mentioned, you could also just get a credit card, there are dozens that don't charge a fee and loads that pay cashback on your purchases. If you play the system you can make money out of your CC thanks to all those suckers who get into massive debt and line the CC companies' pockets!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everybody,It looks like even paying the fee for bank charges & shipping buying from abroad would still be way cheaper than buying in the UK at least now i have some idea of what the charges would be

spyderjon, the ice perv, Unfortunately i can't get a credit card i'm self employed and have only been in business a few months so nobody will touch me for credit at the moment!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chaotic, what about a Nationwide account with a Debit card. That way you could still pay by Visa and there would be no conversion fees as well as a very good exchange rate.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
...or find a good mate with a credit card, who will accept cash from you
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Unfortunately i can't get a credit card i'm self employed and have only been in business a few months so nobody will touch me for credit at the moment!

You could always lie on the application form - I got a platinum card when I was a student, I said I earned £50k/annum and they swallowed it!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
chaotic, buy a Eurocheque from the Post Office and post it to them.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
some of the german sites will accept paypal (they don't advertise this fact) but you will need to pay the paypal fees.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The German sites do indeed accept PayPal for customers from outside Germany. Bilk/Profis charge 4%, but I was happy to pay this on the price of my boots as it was still way less than the cost of doing a transfer, and far less hassle than sorting out money orders

chaotic, I'm surprised you can' get credit. When I set my business up 3 years ago the bank were all over me trying to get me to borrow money, offering business advice, phoning me to see how things were going and all that stuff. Then things got a bit sticky so I did take up their kind offers of a business loan, and now that I owe them money and the business has slowed right down, I never ever hear from them!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just after I left uni I got a platinum credit card with a £1500 credit limit. I stupidly missed my first payment, but instead of charging me extra, they sent me a letter to say they had decided to up my credit limit to £10,000! I wonder why that was rolling eyes
ski holidays
iblair, they thought you were son of Tony
snow report
i have never, ever heard that one before!
ski holidays
Thanks everybody,I've contacted a couple of places who have agreed that they will take Paypal which even paying the sellers charges will be cheaper than a bank transfer!

petemillis, What bank did you go to?? I've owned my own flat for 10 years put 19,000 of my cash into my business and the TSB wouldn't even give us a 500 quid overdraft to help us over the 1st month and point blank refused to consider a loan! i had to borrow more cash from a friend (who at least didn't charge me interest!) to see us through the 1st month! Help!! I want the bank to offer me loads just for once, so i can tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine from then change to another bank!! Twisted Evil Very Happy
snow conditions
chaotic, I'm with Lloyds TSB. Similar situation to you - have had a mortgage for 12 years ( through C&G), put £20k of own funds into the business buying up stock and so on, had a bank account with them for 20 years (which may have been the clincher). I ended up racking up an £8k overdraft over a period of 6 months, then they gave me a loan to pay off the overdraft - I think they now have me where they want me!
snow conditions
iblair wrote:
Just after I left uni I got a platinum credit card with a £1500 credit limit. I stupidly missed my first payment, but instead of charging me extra, they sent me a letter to say they had decided to up my credit limit to £10,000! I wonder why that was rolling eyes

Hey, you could use the extra spending, right?

Have fun first, pay later. They're after your un-ending interested payment.
snow report
I've just bought some from www.wm-sport24.de via Ebay - Won & Paid for on Friday Evening, Received them today - Can't wait to let them loose on Mayrhofen the week after next.

I really thought I was not going to get my skis - Demo'd about 12 pairs in total, really liked Nordica Hot Rod Modified, didn't have them to buy in resort.

Bought them from America (brother lives there so was going to bring them back with him) - the shop couldn't find them in the warehouse Sad and gave me a refund Smile

Found them on ebay via Ski-Bilek - bought them, paid for them (worth noting they charge extra for PayPal & Mounting the bindings - but still a good price). Paid for them, money went to wrong PayPal account, got it back, re-submitted. Waited.....waited.....waited....NO SKIS Evil or Very Mad Chased it up and the delivery company had lost them Sad Ski-Bilek didn't have another pair and couldn't get hold of them Crying or Very sad They gave me a full refund and evenmtually refunded the £27 I lost in exchange rates - so I can't knock them really, not their fault.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy