Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Xscape lessons-good bad or ugly?

Poster: A snowHead
Afternoon all,
I have a cousin who has never been skiing before, she was wondering about trying some lessons at Xscape Glasgow when over visiting her sister later in the year.
I know they are quite expensive and probably very intensive, but she wants to be able to ski a bit before we go away next year.
Any thoughts or experiences both good and bad would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Cormie
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cormid80, A friend of mine did a learn to ski day at Milton Keynes and yes it was hard work, but lots of fun and gave her a great start to her first skiing holiday this year.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very expensive, and hopelessly overcrowded at Castleford for me Sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
cormid80, My brothers g/f had some at Tamworth before going skiing this year.

Whilst they were not cheap, it did mean that she didn't spend the first few days falling over and learning to put skis on.

It could be argued that you can get as good, if not better lessons for a lot cheaper at your local dry ski slope though.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cormid80,
Value wise I might be inclined to go to Bellahouston for lessons and ski at Xscape for practice.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My first ever skiing Holiday was spent (like most people) doing a weeks worth group lessons at the resort. Probably about half the group had chosen to get a bit of a head start by taking lessons at dry-slopes/snow-domes, and initially the difference was quite clear.

However, within about an hour or two of time on the snow (and with some good quality tuition) I would say that most of the rest of the group had caught-up, and that everyone finished the first day on an equal-par as far as technique is concerned.

Is it worth it? Well, on the basis of guys in my group, probably not. However, if your cousin wants to try it out before committing to a holiday, then it might be a useful 'fact-finding' mission!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Many thanks for the info guys.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have been taking lessons at Castleford . The weekend is hopeless, but during the week the groups tend to be very small-no more than two or three. The older instructors are very patient and thorough and the younger ones tend to be enthusiastic and sympathetic to older learners like me. my expereince of weekday lessons at Xscape has been first rate and good value for money.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cormid80, Tell her to give it a bash. At xscape she will be on snow which will give her a taste of the real thing. The instruction there is as good as anywhere - I have some friends who take lessons there regularly and have no complaints.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
cormid80, I would deffo recommend Bellahouston rather than Xscape. ~I hear they've improved the slope a lot, and it will be much better value for money. they also have some very good instructors there.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski wrote:
cormid80, I would deffo recommend Bellahouston rather than Xscape. ~I hear they've improved the slope a lot, and it will be much better value for money. they also have some very good instructors there.

I would say for blocks of lessons Bellahouston is the best bet but if she is just over for a short visit let her try Xscape.

easiski Bellahouston have received Lottery funding of £200,000 for improvements. The slope is getting ripped up this summer and is going to be extended. There is going to be a larger beginners area and a new freestyle slope. New matting and a real pomma tow will be installed.

snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We did evening lessons at an extremely basic (i.e. no lift and very inadequate floodlights!) dry ski slope in Scotland, yonks ago. I think we learnt quite a bit, but also it was actually good fun, and a laugh, in the group lessons and an inexpensive night out for the family. For someone keen, and not too easily discouraged by a wee bit of pain here and there, it's a great idea and did wonders for our leg muscles. For someone of a delicate disposition the dry slope experience could be a bit much - we had some nights when there was so much fog you couldn't see where you were going, and some when it pissed down with rain and we were soaked to the skin in the first ten minutes. And it does hurt when you fall on plastic. So, good practice for skiing, really. After all that, doing it on real snow in a ski resort was a morceau de gateau. And if someone is going to be put off the whole idea by a bit of pain or discomfort, better find out before spending huge sums on a holiday.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
She will only be over for a couple of days at most, and I think the thought of painful falls on plastic would be a definate putter-offer in terms of dry slope sking for her. Thanks guys and gals.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cormid80, We had 4 lessons on dry slope then went for a few hours at exscape,both were really good fun and a laugh as Pam said. This gave us a great advantage over the absolute beginners in Austria, after three days we were down a black run and the fourth day was another black. After 9 days Austrian ski school we can now ski down anything,although we will be back in ski school next year. We also had a week skiing on our own in Espace killy at the end of March where we put into practise what we had learnt,big confidense boost,especially for the wife. Ski lessons definately. Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks Mr Wizard, pity I hadn't made use of the lessons before I first went.
snow conditions
Depends where her sis lives - Bearsden (Glagow ski centre) has really good instructors and is much cheaper than Xscape. So I'd say there to learn and Xscape to practise. I was at Xscape last Sunday morning and it was not too busy so hopefully things are begining to quieten down.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy