Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Have you given up taking your own skis??

Poster: A snowHead
A few years ago the old man decided it was time to invest in buying our own skis - the logic being it would be far more cost effective to buy than keep hiring abroad. Seemed like a good idea at the time..... However, I now find him glued to the internet devouring equipment reviews and despite taking his trusty planks away last trip he spent the majority of the days in and out of the ski hire shop trying out all sorts of different skis.
Given the cost/hassle factor (when flying) of taking your own skis and the fact that there seem to be an ever increasing array of new skis to try what does everybody think? Should I stick with a pair of skis that have become an old friend or should I join him and try something new?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
loatie, I think he's probably after a new pair, but if you're happy with yours I wouldn't worry.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think you're probably on to something there Helen B!! Trouble is he'll probably be fed up with the new ones after a couple of trips!! Loatie
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
loatie, this is a bit of an endless debate. I like having my own but I'm a bit odd that way. If I could reliably hire cheaply enough (we are blessed by living quite close to the mountains so the economics come into play) I would probably hire.

A pair of skis, IMHO, should do 120 or so days. You wil get bored with the graphics after about 5 years. You need to work it out...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Personally i think that hiring skiis works out far cheaper, and a lot less hassle, however i have my own skiis, because i know they are well maintained, more reliable, and they will always react the same, hiring skiis can be a bit like playing Russian Roulette, they may be fantastic or they may throw you off the side of the mountain!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We have our own skis and we leave them at the ski shop in Wengen - they've never been home. This avoids the hasle of carrying them, and an email or phone call to the shop means they will be serviced and ready to go at a day's notice.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We all have our own (family of 6) which saves huge hassle at the hire shop and means we get to ski something we KNOW has been well maintained and set up correctly. We always drive with the family, so airport restrictions are not an issue. However, when just Mrs Axs and I go away we fly, and on one or two trips have hired rather than carry. That lets us try something different for a change, and keeps hassle to a minimum (two adults can get kitted up from a shop in something less than 1 1/10th the time it takes four teens!) Laughing Variety is the spice and all that so mix it up a little!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I agree that although it may be a bit of hassle, and probably isn't cheaper, it is still better to have your own skis. Like many of the replies here, you know they are properly maintained, and that is important. In my case, it also means I can get the right length and type of skis for my weight/ability. It is fine if you are a standard weight/height skier, but being short and light, and a reasonably good standard skier (instructor says advanced intermediate or higher) the choice becomes very limited. Or indeed, no choice at all. I'm not a fan of the pursuit of smaller and smaller turn radius, nor indeed of the fashion for flowers and mirrors on ladies skis. A lot of ladies skis seem to twist a lot when you give them some stick. Even in Courchevel 1850, the choice of high-end ladies skis that didn't twist when you pushed them was....er....almost zero. The unisex skis started at 154cm, but again, only one ski available in that length (Rossi Mutix's). That's mainly why I choose to take my own Volkls with me. If you want something out of the ordinary, then buying your own is the best bet.

Mr DS says he takes his own because otherwise he'd be forced to rent race skis every time (allegedly to keep in front of me!).

Doesn't stop us trying out different skis for a day or two, but then why not? And once I've learned to board this summer I'm planning to try out a board for a day or two in the mountains, just to see if I can be a cool dood.

Having your own gives you the confidence to know your skis are good and suited to you, whilst not robbing you of flexibility.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm sold on taking our own skis - which I wouldn't have said a couple of years ago. I've never got the feeling I could rent just what I wanted once I arrived in resort (particularly on Saturday afternoon / sunday morning when the world + wife and children are also trying to get there skis). It's also been a benefit skiing the same (good) skis every week. Financially there probably isn't much in it. In terms of travelling with them, you're not actually in the presence of your luggage for much of a trip to a resort and typically carrying quite a lot of luggage already - wheeled bags are the way to go - although training in the driving of long vehicles may be required for the ski bag Embarassed
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I stopped taking skis a few years ago. I only get to ski one or two weeks a year and don't feel I would benefit from my own
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AsSpyderman, will attest, the least experienced member of our party, and the only one without their own skis, was given a pair of massive full-race slalom skis by the hire shop. We didn't realise this until Spyderman identified them. She struggled with the needless to say. When we took them back the boss of the shop said "Who gave you these!" If you have your own kit you know what you are getting.

The other reason for having your own is that you know when they were last edged/ waxed etc and can rely on them. The clincher for me is that you get more skiing. If you cost a ski holiday in pounds per Km (no I'm not actually that sad, but you know what I mean) a couple of extra runs, sometimes on the Saturday when you arrive, is very cost effective. I feel very smug when we get off the transfer bus and get straight up the hill when others are being told the hire shop opens at 4.30.

snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have a good idea of the standard of skier I am and what type of ski I want so I usually ask for a particular type to suit. I've usually found ski hire shops to be quite helpful in terms of type of ski suitable for me. So you let your "least experienced" skier travel companion go to the hire shop on her own? I would have given a less experienced skier in my party a helping hand at the time of hire and resisted the urge to claim bragging rights as to first up the mountain. But hten again, I'm nice like that Little Angel
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No, I did go with the least experienced skier to the shop, but I'm no expert and didn't know what the skis were about. It wasn't until we met the Spyderpeople, who do know one ski from another (unlike me) we knew what was what. The hire shop in Mottaret is quite small and were doing their best.

I am surprised anyone would make assumptions about my level of niceness from a post about ski hire.

snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I worked out over a few years that there is really no cost difference, assuming you sell on your skis for a reasonable price on ebay......
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So, how do you go about getting some really good skis whilst in resort to "try out" for a couple of days ?

I wouldn't mind having a day or two of using really good skis.

Cheers.
snow report
My new skis are now at K2 to be reviewed for warranty replacement as the bindings have come loose after a month or so use..... hiring is sounding better.....
snow conditions
I prefer to Hire. I only ski one or two weeks a year, and hiring works better for me. I am able to change them during the course of the week, so I'm always sking on the most suitable for the conditions. I had my Hire skis serviced twice during the week this year, as I ripped the bases and then needed a better wax for later in the week when the temps dropped, all at no extra cost. Good value for me
snow conditions
I stopped having my own skis when skis went extra-curvey - about 8 years ago - and have never regretted it.
I understand the comments on confidence in set-up (AxsMan), possible time saving (Chris Bish), and choice if not near average (docsquid), but the advantages for me outway all these.
1. Far less hassle and expense when travelling. I travel mainly by train. Hoppo may be right about not having your skis with you much when you travel by plane (and where you leave airport baggage staff to destroy your luggage), but what a ghastly way to travel.
2. No worries when the conditions are bad. None of those shrieks of horror every time you go over a stone or rock. None of that worrying about other people going over your skis in lift queues. Got a nasty gouge? Take 'em back!
3. Able to have the best skis for the conditions. Recently in La Plagne it went from hard and icey to fluffy powder to tracked out. I went through three sets of skis, each matched to the conditions at the time.
4. And if you want: to have the very latest and most trendy skis. Not important to me, but matters to some (like 18yr old daughter).
ski holidays
gorjulin, in Val Thorens Mrs Hoppo just said she was interested in demoing particular skis to buy and they rented them to her - when she bought them they knocked the rental off them - presumably she could have just said she wanted to ski on them. Each ski shop clearly carries a range focussed around a couple of manufacturers - I don't know how you find out what this range is beforehand.
latest report
I have the best/worst of both worlds. Take own blades for a bit of fun and hire skis in resort.
snow report
Chris Bish, It was crazy for the rental shop to put Jules, an intermediate lady skier on Dynastar Omeglass slalom skis. I know what they are like, I've got a pair and although very good and rewarding are bloody hard work and demand very good technique or they will chew you up and spit you out. the shop should be ashamed of themselves. It is a hastle taking skis if you are flying and the airlines and tour operators, see ski carriage as another way to make money but at least you can ski exactly the ski you want, properly prepared, every time, if you take your own. If you want to try something new while you're there, fine.
snow report
I did the same as Jonpim for a while - got bored with changing fashions, but things have stabilised a bit, and you still see lots of my older Atomic 11R20s on the hill. So now I buy rather than rent

If you spend time in the US/Canada, and do not have to pay for ski carriage on the flights it is way way cheaper to buy your own. I would have paid more in rental for my 17 days on the snow this year than the £260 my 1080 foils with bindings cost in the S & R sale at the end of last year. I can buy a new pair of skis every 2-3 years and be quids in - and sometimes travel with 2 pairs.

As regards rocks, you can get a ptex candle and a metal scraper for very little and stop worrying too much about making holes in your bases. You need to avoid setting off the hotel smoke alarm though! Take an edge-trick and some notwax with you and you are away.

If I need something else - like touring skis, I hire them.
ski holidays
I like having my own skis. I know they have been looked after, i know the bindings have had a gentle life and that they work superbly. I also hate the hire shop melee. Problem is we still have to do this nightmare with the kids. Cant see what the fuss is about lugging them around. Just a long rucksack.
snow report
I like to take my own. I change 'em every couple of years and it actually works out well if you sell the previous pair to part fund the next. Travel no problem - ski box on the roof of car when I drive, and I've just bought a ski tube which made it easy to wheel 'em around at the airport last week. And BA - free carriage of ski equipment during the ski season(fingers crossed for same next year). I certainly worried a lot less about them in the ski tube last week. And I'd painted "PM" in massive silver and red letters all over the tube to make it less attractive to nickers.
Benefits for me - I like me own skis, I like to maintai me own skis, I don't have to think about what skis I might like to hire, and so on.
I don't worry about hurting them a bit - that's just too gay, and I can't see the point of owning skis and not using them. And my travel insurance covers them enough if they get trashed or nicked anyway.
snow conditions
3 days or less: rent so can try different ones!

4 days or more: bring own 'cos tightwad

I think WTFH worked out before that it's significantly cheaper to buy than to rent if going for 2 weeks a year, 'cos if you time it well, you can sell on the skis after one season for a reasonable sum, then get the latest. If one week it's probably not worth it. However many incld myself just like having their own that they can be relaxed and familiar with, if not love and cherish.
ski holidays
gorjulin, keep you eyes peeled on snowHead s for what's good and what's not. Make a note of the makes and models and when you get to resort ask for a particular ski. Have a few choices in case your first isn't available
latest report
Nice one halfhand, worth a try.

Hoppo, thanks for that.

Cheers
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy