Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: Ischgl

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Resort: Ischgl

Date: 6 April 2013 to 10 April 2013

Our holiday: Me and 11 year old son.

Basics : Flew to Innsbruck with Easyjet on 0700 flight and hired a car. Arrived at hotel at 12:15 delayed only by flight traffic at Innsbruck (!) and some roadworks by the airport.

Lift system : Gondalas out of the town and mainly fast chairs when in the main ski area. No meaningful queues (1 minute at most) other than waiting for the double cable car from Samnaun one afternoon. Some fairly benign drags.

The terrain : Huge area. Most of the skiing is done 2300m and above, once you’re up the mountain. Only the runs back to the village are really below this. Mixture of blue/red and black runs, the best being the blacks (skied less and had therefore better snow), and the resort runs through the trees, if done in the morning. My son complained of doing more poling than he’s used to, probably as he is very light and as we did not know the resort, we did not know when to get up speed. My superior Schnitzel fuelled momentum carried me to most lifts. Plan to do off piste on final day scuppered by blizzard conditions at the top.

Best runs were black 34 and 35 off Hollspitzbahn and black 14b off Greitspize. Good warm up run was Blue 11 of Filmjochbahn. In reality there were many great runs (red 30 and 36 and most of Alp Trida…)

Worst run was red 40 and 41a on the far side of the resort which was wind scoured and too flat in places, and the lower part of the Samnaun run.

Nowhere was terribly busy. Skied with the leader from SCGB which fun and worth the annual fee.

The snow : The snow was fantastic up top with fresh snow twice in four days. Resort runs into Ischgl were soft by the end of the day and very soft into Samnaun (which has a huge flat run into the cable car). We were there during a cold patch, more like mid-winter than spring conditions. Had cold sunshine 3 half days though, and truly bad visibility only once. Too cold to eat outside.

The resort : Did not do too much Apres with son in tow. From the little I saw it wasn’t quite as lively as I would have guessed. Nice car free high street to walk around and excellent travelator to get you from village centre to the lifts through a tunnel under the village.

Food : On the mountain, standard Austria fare. Best places were the Schwarzwand pizzeria and the table service restaurant at Paznauner Thaya. Self-service place at Hollkar was nice too and new –escalators rather than the gauntlet of stairs in ski boots.

Accommodation : We stayed at the Sonne right in the centre by the tunnel. All was excellent but a special mention for the food which was sensational. People were lovely too. Thoroughly recommended.

Costs: Not a cheap place but the hotel was good value for the quality and the mountain restaurants were reasonable and in line with elsewhere we’ve been is Austria.

Conclusion: Likely to be back next year, same time same place.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Blastfromthepast, Nice report thanks!
Hope to get there sooner rather than later. Surprised to hear about runs 40 and 41a, yes heard about them being wind blown, but also many reviews mentions them as favourites.
Looks like they are going ahead with new gondola to Piz Val Gronda which will open up a new run next year.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We're interested in trying out Ischgl, but we're a group of 10 who'd like to be able to self-cater and eat together.
Looks like apartments that can house 10 people are pretty rare.
However, the really frustrating thing is that there is no effective online search facility for accommodation! I'd like to simply be able to say "apartment for 10 people in Ischgl" and expect to find a list of a dozen or so, from which we might choose, but the ischgl.com site has pretty inconsistent summaries that make this impossible. The T.O. say that they have to send me a brochure in the post!
Am I missing something?!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thewinelake, I tried their online search and it did not come back with many results:

http://www.astellina.at/en/apart-4-2-penthouse.html - in fact this one is still 4km away from Ischgl

2 appartments for 5 will be easier wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well found! Even that isn't ideal - we'd like for each couple to have their own bedroom and are prepared to pay a little extra for that.
A 4 and a 6 might do if the dining space in the 6 is on the large side.
We're hoping to dine in 3-4 times and out 3-4 times (or something like that!)
But I'm well-impressed that you managed to get the search to work for you...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy