Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

OK - as threatened its me - Feb 07

Poster: A snowHead
OK folks, there's no need to get excited or anything, but I do fulfill my threats. Please find link to me on skis this year.

Unfortunately there's not a lot of it - just two short clips - put back to back. Unfortunately in the hours of video that DH took of the kids he managed to miss my two really good runs until I was nearly down (I am rather dis-chuffed, but can't do anything about it). However, you do get a chance to see me do the odd nearly parallel turn (rather proud of those this year). There is also a chance to get a clue as to where I went, but I'm fairly certain there's not enough resolution to give the game away wink

You are of course more than welcome to comment if you wish.

link:

http://youtube.com/v/hooWGvXEFGc
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum,

way to go girl Very Happy

I'll name that resort in 5......
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I saw that instructor give you a sneaky snog on the cheek!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wouldn't have minded if he had - he was quite dishy!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
He he.
Nice bit of video there though. Shame there's not some more. 'tis the same with us - nearly all the vid and pics are of the kids!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Meant to ask (I'm sure you've probably mentioned somewhere anyway) how did you find it skiing in your own boots? Much better I bet.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It was very satisfying to know that I was in my own boots, and knowing that I had them was definitely an impetus to put more effort into learning. I would also say that I was certainly aware of the movement of the skis through the boots this year, now whether that was just more experience or my own boots I don't know. They were lovely and comfy and warm too as well - I had no problems with them whatsoever, though the instructor did encourage me to close them tighter as the week progressed - perhaps the linings had compressed as folks here said they would.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
holidayloverxx, petemillis, Thank you for taking an interest Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum,
Quote:

I wouldn't have minded if he had - he was quite dishy!!

When I learnt to ski back in 1979, I had a stunning Swiss Instructor, I would have followed her anywhere. It's amazing how you're performance improves, when you follow someone that you fancy. The fear factor goes out of the window.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, looks like you are coming on well there snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spyderman, when I learned to ski I had a stunning French instructor - according to one of the girls I was with anyway, and even though I personally didn't fancy him seeing as I'm not that way inclined, I still followed him everywhere as he was pretty generous when it came to drinks!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Urs kept saying to me 'look at me not at your feet' so I looked at him and funnily once I stopped worrying about them my feet seemed far happier not to mention my eyes!!

Are all ski instructors (appropriate sex allowing) dishy?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum,
Quote:

'look at me not at your feet'

Don't know about feet, I could'nt take my eyes off of her backside. Laughing

Quote:

I can only speak for myself. Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, nice vid - you're doing well! (and the advice about looking up/ahead, not down - it's a good tip to hold on to as you advance)

snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Absolutely not!!! I had some Italian guy with teeth like a mountain goat Mad
ski holidays
Megamum, I think you look great. Shame the same can't be said of the short bird you were skiing with.... she looked rubbish wink
ski holidays
Megamum, Well done, you look to be in control and flowing from one turn to the next very nicely.

One thing I noticed is that on both clips when you are on the upper part of the slope your skis are parallel, but lower down (when going slower??) a snowplough starts to come out. Were you aware of that? Not a criticism, but it will probably take more effort that way and lead to tiredness quicker. I'm sure that confident hockey stops and stopping where you want (rather than seeing where you end up) are only a matter of practice away Smile

BTW, let us know when you do your first piece of travelling to somewhere. When we took my missus on her first trip (in the 3V, Meribel to St. Martin de Belleville for lunch) she suddenly saw how much better it was when she got away from doing the same slope over and over and got to see fresh scenery etc.

Keep it up gal, looks like it's going well Very Happy

Jon.
snow report
Megamum wrote:

Well all that being outdoors (tanned and sun bleached hair) can't harm Madeye-Smiley
latest report
jmdohanlon, Thank you for taking the time to give me a comprehensive comment. I think the snowplough surfaces when I'm going faster than I might like - apart from turning more uphill so far its the only tangible way I have of slowing down, or when I know I need to get somewhere and stop at a certain point - like running across the last bit and back into the lift queue. However, its a fair observation that its harder work - now I can go along with some parallel I think I'm noticing that. Maybe with practice it will disappear with time.

This year I was happy to work the same slope again, but I am hopeful that maybe next year, if I find I can still get down the slope OK (maybe better with some pre-lesson practice), that the instuctor might suggest that I could try what I'll call the 'proper' the blue run - its a trip on the chair lift - so I'd have to learn the dismount at the top and runs next to sledging run down the mountain - which I've sledged on and I guess is about 4Km back to the bottom. The full length of the slope I've been doing is about 3 times what you see on the video, so it would be a big leap for me, but I think I'd feel a huge sense of accomplishment if I could get down it -I might even feel that I could ski a bit.
snow report
Megamum, No problem at all m'dear. Blush

Several of the usual group I ski with have their'comfort zone' that they retreat into when things get tough. For one guy that means the snowplough position creeps out again,and he adopts a stance that sort of looks like he is sitting on a chair with his arms held out in front - not elegant, but he knows it works for him. Doesn't half make him easy to spot too when looking back up the hill to see where we have all got to! Mind you, as the years have gone by iwe have to take him down black runs for that to start showing through Toofy Grin

I guess what I'm prattling on about is that there are times to be stylish, and times when just getting down is OK.

Following on from your comments on slowing down methods, has your instructor had you doing some sideslipping down the slope? Absolutely brilliant technique to have in the kit bag as a Get Out Of Jail Free card, even on the steepest slopes. The principle of this is where you open and close the angle of the base of the ski with the surface to go slower of faster respectively when your skis are facing across the slope, and results in controlled motion directly down the hill without going forwards or backwards. Mix that in with some forward motion and voila (or the German or Italian equivalent as appropriate for your Swiss resort X) you have the technique to control speed whist scudding sort of half forwards and half side on down narrow tracks etc. Don't worry if this sounds awfully complex -much easier when you see it done. I'm guessing this will be one of your next things to learn.

Keep on truckin' snowHead snowHead

Jon
ski holidays
Jon, we tried some side slipping this year - the first time though was on the Tuesday when were skiing on the inclined skating rink, and I have a tendency to think this made it more difficult (have you noticed I have a gift for understatement wink ). On better snow on other days we always had a try and I couldn't copy his vertical down the mountain with no forwards movement across the slope - though I did pick up what the theory of the ski movement was - edges into the mountain, release edges and in theory drift competently down the slope. I always ended up going across the slope to some degree Puzzled and thought I had failed the exercise Sad . However, this outcome seems to be what you describe to control speed - I hadn't thought of that angle, but I guess it would. Wow, at last a technique I seem to have licked Very Happy

Julia (but, I prefer Julie)
latest report
Megamum wrote:
Wow, at last a technique I seem to have licked Very Happy

Inadvertently maybe, but let's not split hairs! wink
latest report
Megamum, once you have mastered side slipping you can develop it into a hocky stop and that will give you more confidence and speed. You wont be stickin to the one slope next time round Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

Inadvertently maybe, but let's not split hairs!

That's kind of as I see it too Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy