Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier Musts . . .

Poster: A snowHead
We've done the deal and are off to Serre Che 3rd March so . . .

> which mountain restaurant must we dine in?

> where must we go for dinner on Chalet staff night off?

> which run must we ski?

> which bar must we drink in?

> which places must be avoided?

> etc

Oh, and we are late 40's early 50's party of 4 adventurous intermediates who like a drink or three, good traditional food, and a reasonabley lively atmosphere, but we're not party animals. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Must do

The ice track go-karts at villeneuve
Skidos, also at Villeneuve

Can be done in the evening, apres apres ;}
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kermit, Wot & waste valuable drinking time Puzzled wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Won't really be a waste, as it's an absolute riot.
Extra adrenalin mixed with beer = fun night
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kermit, Sound great fun to me, and one to video - we will probably give one or both of thosee a try (funds permitting) Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
10 things to do in Serre Chevalier when there is no snow wink

wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin, I notice that they are empty ??? . . . So that must mean that they'll not be required due to the huge dumps of snow rexpected between 24th Feb - 2nd March, followed by a week of cold sunny days and more dumps of snow at night Little Angel
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
IncogSkiSno, sorry not much help as it was 6 years ago that we went to Serre Chevalier. However, we did have a very nice lunch at a restaurant in Briancon and, if I remember correctly, it was this one...

Le Péché Gourmand

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 13-02-07 17:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
IncogSkiSno, wink snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
geetee, Thanks - all thoughts and recommendations are welcome, not matter how old Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IncogSkiSno, We were in Serre over Xmas visiting our daughter who is the ski rep. for Skibound, and had pretty good conditions considering other places in the Alps at that time. So recommendations here we go

1) Favourite mountain restaurant was L'Echaillon just off the "Fangeas" blue run on the way down to the Clot Gauthier chair Villeneuve area. Waiter service, slightly more expensive, but outside terrace very sunny.

Le Bivouac at the top of the Casse du Beuf chair is also very nice but only went there once.

Over towards Briancon there is a lovely little sun trap called Le Chalet du Serre Blanc in an absolute stunning position.

Finally on the way down to Le Monetier les Bains there is a little log cabin called Le Peyra Juana, that is worth a trip in itself.

2) For dinner we didn't eat out because we stayed at the Hotel Plein Sud, in Chantemerle. This is run by an English lady, Lynne. The bar is very friendly and the food was excellent and reasonably priced.

3)Runs to ski. We had 2 favourites. The run from the top of Le Monetier Les Bains called Yret. A pleasant red run with stunning views. The other one has to be La Cucumelle, a long red down towards Villeneuve.

4) Bar. Our daughter spents a lot of time at the Yeti in Villeneuve - might be a bit young though. However let's see if there are any other posts on this one.

5) Places to avoid. Nothing in my book. We really loved the place and so do 100 plus ex-pat Brits.

Who did you get a deal with?

On your return let us know how you got on.

Have a good safe trip!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
IncogSkiSno, Must not ...... let the car hire company give you a Smart FourFour and then try and drive it from Briancon up to Monetier in a blizzard - the scariest journey I ever had - absolute load of shunte car.....

Do do: Restaurant Le Bidule in La Salle Les Alpes - across the river in the old part of villeneuve - actually quite a few nice restaurants in that part of town

If it snows, do go for a walk in the part of Villeneuve called Le Bez - really nice old village with maybe 1 bar to stop off in for a quick vin chaud
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
IncogSkiSno, Loup Blanc in Chantemerle for Chalet night off, or La Tryptique (along by the church in the old village. (I think you're staying in Chantermerle). MOuntain resturant -blowout in the restaurant at the Bivouac (top of Casse de Beouf) or Le Peyra Juana (tiny place on the Rochamout piste on the way down to MOnetier village-ski to the right from thBachas chair) . If the snow good the Les Eduits area (from Grand Alpe, up Prorel chair, then down Saludes, halfway down across to the right onto Eduits, and the Monetier pistes (combine it with Peyra Juana lunch).

(Ooh, my apartmetnt came up top of a google search for 'Serre Che piste map').

A trip into Briancon to the old town, and a bathe in the thermal baths at Monetier are recommended too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you really want to push the boat out the Antidote Restaurant in the Hotel Alliey in Monetier has a michelin-star, but needs to be booked well in advance.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
IncogSkiSno, David Snell makes some excellent recommendations. La Peche Gourmand is still open and was, up until 3/4 years ago one of France's top 100 restaurants. A bit pricey, but very good.

Have been to Le Yeti as a 40 year old and it is a little on the yoofful side - but still had a good time...I think!

Briancon in the old town at night is worth a visit and there's a good range of restaurants/bars - none really spring to mind, but from memory they all seemed OK.

La Cucumelle is indeed a fine run. If the conditions are good, the Luc Alphand down into Chantemerle is a great run - it's black, and only gets steep right at the end, at which point you can take a green "track" if you wish to bail out - check it's open first though!

From the top of Prorel there is a good red (sorry can't recall name) down towards Briancon which you can either finish at the mid-station, or continue, conditions permitting, down into the town.

Which village are you in?
snow conditions
just to add to what helen has said.

my fav resteraunts (and i've tried lots) Le petite chalet - abosluteyly fab atmosphere lovely couple who own it and run it. le Ca 'bassa is fab place and have a great cheff this year, good piza's for the kids and great propper moutnian food for hte adults! Cafe soliel is great for food up the mountain. While i like the peyra juana i think its over priced for what they serve, i also have been weary of the trypitique as a numer of friends have had food poisoning from there, so avoid the pork! Mojo's and La Grott serve good english style food (they're both in villeneuve) and a good moutnain resto is Eau de petit pont, where i am off for dinner tonight! The Kitzbull in chantermel is also a good pizza place. La Batchi in chatermerle is in the Serre D'aigle and is well worth checking out, they do very differnt style in how its served and we loved it!
There is now ice carting in chantemerle and you can do moto neige too.
Swimming pool in briancon has a spa bit with jacuzzin and sauna and steam room. Or there is a gym in chantermerle where you can use the spa facilites there (its my gym and its very very nice!)
you can also go raquetting, or horse riding or paraponting or use the climbing wall.

I think that is about it
ski holidays
Mark Hunter, that green isn't open (well it is at the mo but probably not for long!) its called La Briance

The yetti was pulled down a few years ago, unless you mean La Grotte (used to be La Grotte du yetti) in villeneuve is still very much alive and kicking and i hate the placebut many people love it! but if you want to get steamingly drunk and listen to rubbish bands its the best place to go. They do now have a resteraunt attached so there is a place for a quiet drink.
if you watch footy or rugby that is the place to head as they ahve a large screen

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 25-02-07 12:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
snowangel., ooh yes forgot the La Cabassa. Incog-it's across the main road in the little shopping area.
snow report
ooo i forgot ice skating in chantemerle or briancon, the chantemerle one is flood lit outside
snow report
Wow - I leave the site for an hour or so and I return to all these fantastic replies - thanks all - plenty there to get my teeth into, I shall print it all off and take it with me. Toofy Grin

DAVID SNELL, We got a late deal with Skitopia - I've not heard of them before so a bit of a gamble, but if they're good they will get a good report from me afterwards.
latest report
IncogSkiSno, Hotel Sporting, perchance?

Look out for the ibex who lurks outside the Auberge des Amis as you come down off the col into Monetier. I got some corking pix of him the other day - you can walk right up to him with a camera and he doesn't care. (Probably something to do with the intimidating metre-long horns.)
snow report
Lizzard, No . . . Hotel Adret, which has been refurbished. Have you had any dealings with Skitopia?
latest report
IncogSkiSno,
I would agree strongly with recomendations of the Peche Gourmand though it is not in the most attractive of situations.

I have eaten at the bottom of the slopes recently as we have been with a non skier so cannot really recommend anywhere from recent experience but the Sit down food at Grande Alpe as opposed to the self service used to be good.

If you have beer enthusiasts in your party the Luc Alphand beer brewed locally is fabulous.

There are any number of good runs. If the conditions are becoming more spring like and there is a bit of freeze thaw the runs facing the Briancon end of the valley are more east facing and soften earlier than the runs facing the monetier end which are more northerly facing.

The reds from Prorel towards Briancon (Grande Gargouille and Remparts) are usually well groomed and best skied early in the day.
Aiguillete is a lovely swoopy red but the lift back up is a slow one.

Petit Alpe is another red that usually has good snow but few people on it (Served by an awkward tow)

Most of the black runs are worthwhile Isolee is about the most difficult but the views are lovely and the most awkward pich is usually avoidable by a bulldozed traverse of to the right if you don't like it.

If conditions low down are good Tabuc the black that runs down to the bottom of Monetier goes down a beautiful valley on its own and is well worth doing but can have a few tricky moguls if this is not your thing.

The only area to be a bit cautious is Frejus where there are too many tows which can get busy with the ski school.
latest report
I worked for their sister company quite a long time ago. The Adret is definitely the better of the two hotels - I saw it just after it had been refurbished and before Skitopia took it on. It was looking pretty good at the time.
snow report
Lizzard Ah right - well, we shall soon see. Confused
snow conditions
My first ever ski holiday was to the Adret - a long, long time ago (well, 20 years ago this week more or less).

Aaaah, memories Very Happy
ski holidays
snowangel., I was indeed refering to Le Yeti in Villenueve - and don't get me started on the pulling down of Le Yeti in Chantemerle to erect more bloody apartments! It was a place of character and fun - dated, often strewn with glasses, a soaking floor and probably worse - but fun none the less. Had some good evenings in there in the past with some good friends.

Not sure I agree with your assertion that the Cafe du Soleil at Serre Ratier is "great for food" though. It's certainly OK and is in a nice sun trap. You can wait quit a while for the food - fairly often. I've alway thought the Troll (is that the right name?) just to the side of the C d S was better for food. Has to be said that the position isn't as good.

Another pleasant run is Les Vallons when skied from the top - swoops down into the Serre Chevalier bowl and then down through the trees to Serre Ratier. Just a nice cruisey blue to work out the cobwebs and get the legs warmed up.
latest report
Mark Hunter, I love the Tartiflette at the Café Soleil, but found it was really expensive in January,
certainly not as good value as the Peyra Juana, or le Troll.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
IncogSkiSno, you are staying just 1/4 mile from my place. It would be good to meet up and give you all a tour of the mountain. Cool
ski holidays
chris, we'll have to meet up with you too this time, we haven't seen you both for ages.
latest report
Helen Beaumont, OK. Very Happy
snow report
chris, we're arriving around the 18th March I think. Be in touch. I think I've lost your phone no though .
snow report
chris, That would be good, I'll put it to the group - I'll PM you my mob No
snow report
Agree with lots of above especially Le Peyra Juana; We had the wild whatever he had shot the day before!

Great resort. Think the cucumelle is great but also loved the wide blue under the chair towards Monetier, eychuada, for some great long carving turns.
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno,
Hi
Many of the famous big ski resorts have lots of mediocre ski runs but SC is not like that, it is a tremendous ski area and basically it’s nearly all excellent as you may have gathered from the above.

With regards to some of the recommendations that have been made, some will be difficult to do without a car, unless you are happy to fork out large amounts of money on taxi fares. During the day there is a good 20 minute ski bus service, but this finishes around 5.30pm. So you could do a trip to Briancon during the day on the ski bus, but not at night.
A couple of question that might help

1. Will you have a car
2. If not you need to say which village the Adret is in, so that members can make evening recommendations based on your location (this is important but does not seem to have been picked up on)
snow report
Chris O'Loughlin - Hi there, no we won't have a car and we will also be on a tight budget.

The Adret Hotel is near the Chantmerle main lift.
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno, for trips to Briancon, you can get the ski bus there and back, also for the hot springs in Monetier. If you do fancy some of the restaurants elsewhere taxis are not too expensive. Cabassa is probably your best option for your night out if you're on a tight budget. The ski bus is very handy if you find yourself at the wrong end of the ski area at the end of the day, just ski down to the nearest village and hop on the bus which runs every 15 minutes or so.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, Ah right thanks for that, the Chalet staff night off is definitely one that need sorting soonest and perhaps booking. Very Happy
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno, I know it will still be French holidays (use the chairlift up from Chantemerle in the morning the queue will be less), but as long as you don't just turn up, you should be fine to book when you arrive.
ski holidays
I don't recall taxis being too expensive. I suppose Briancon to Monetier may be on high side, but to Chantemerle is hardly a bank breaker. On the restaurant theme, isn't there quite a cosy raclette restaurant on the main street in Chantemerle? And isn't there a Mexican restaurant also? It was there about 3 years ago, but I recall someone mentioning that it was up for sale.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy