Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbie question re: luggage

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone ! Yet another newbie type question I'm afraid Embarassed

I'm about to go on my first skiing holiday (am going with the boys and will be leaving Jake and Jakes Mummy behind wink Very Happy ) - am going to Rauris (roll on March 10th !)
I am planning my luggage and want to travel as light as possible, and need to buy a suitcase.
Someone has suggested that I get a large ruck sack instead of a suitcase - apparently easier to get from transfer bus to hotel ?? Puzzled
And the good lady wife (Jakes Mummy) in her infinate wisdom has suggested wearing my ski jacket to travel in thus not having to pack it.

Any views on these ideas ?

Re: wearing my jacket, I think it will be damn hot in the car, airport departure, plane etc - and I can see myself talking it off then getting cross as I'll have to carry it about. My original plan was to pack the ski jacket, and wear a lighter jacket to travel in, and also use in the evenings if its not too cold ??

How much stuff do you guys normally pack ? So far I have:
Ski jacket & trousers
3 X base layer sets (trousers & top) - might need some more ?
6 X micro fleeces
10 X socks - proper ski socks and tubes
Sturdy water proof shoes for evening (will travel in these so no need to pack them)
Gloves
Hats
2 pairs jeans - 1 pair for travel & first half of week, the other pair for remainder of week and travel home
Boxers, toiletries, etc

What do you guys wear in the evenings? Can I get away with a tshirt and the micro fleece I would have had on all day (or will it be a bit smelly?) but without the base layer ? Or do I need to pack a few tops for the evenings as well ?

Cheers

JD
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jakes Daddy, i think you will find that most skiers will travel in their ski jackets,as they are quite bulky, most hotels and chalets are very warm, and i find you can usually get away with only a t shirt indoors in the evenings, but a few tops would be advisable. temperatures can get very cold in the evenings, so its better to overpack than underpack, especially if some of your clothes get damp!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You seem to have an awful lot of socks. Are you counting each one or each pair ? You could get away with a couple of pairs of ski socks. Wash them overnight if they are too bad. Stuff dries quickly. Or just do not wear ski socks at the breakfast table.

Same goes for fleeces. One would do. Depends on your ski jacket whether you also need a fleece. Is the jacket a shell ? If no then you do not need a fleece to ski in.

Same goes for base layer sets. One or two.

You do need to change into something fresh in the evening - assuming you return to your accommodation - but you are not wearing it long so you do not need different stuff every night.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jakes Daddy, Welcome to snowheads.
We both always use backpacks for all clothes and boots
skis on solder in ski bag
and yes we wear our ski jackets as they take up space in the bags
as for quantity of kit, 2 pairs ski trousers each, couple of sets of base layers, mico fleeces each,
a few pairs of socks and some non skiing cloths for pubs and restraraunts (t-shirts/shirts etc)
all fits in 2 65 litre back packs and 2 ski bags
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
you are almost certain to overpack.. 6 fleeces seems a lot. take two wash one in the sink if you throw up on it or worse Shocked
if you forget anything you can always buy it out there..
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

You seem to have an awful lot of socks

Hmmmm, yes, thats what comes from putting ski socks on your Christmas list and having lazy-ass relatives who dont talk to each other !
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
10 pairs of socks?? how many days skiing at max 1 day ski = 1 pair socks

probably get away with 3 fleeces, throw in shirt / jumper for the bar/restaurant

May want to throw in combat type trousers, tend to dry out quicker than jeans and don't take up much room. Take a tube of travel wash most kit can be easily washed and dried overnight, which means you have a supply of dry fresh clothes - don't forget lip balm and sun cream, moisturiser

Gloves for evening, as you may be drying out the ski gloves and you don't want to be leaving those behind in bars

Enjoy the snow and hope you get on well and come back looking to the next trip.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
Depends on your ski jacket whether you also need a fleece. Is the jacket a shell ?

Now you're getting technical with me ! How would I know ? My jacket is .... errrm.... well, a ski jacket - its big and bulky and warm! with lots of pockets and a funny little 'snow skirt' which my 6 year old boy finds hugely amusing Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jakes Daddy, Welcome to snowheads. I will be carrying my ski jacket this time, just to save space and weight in my baggage. I just stick on a t-shirt at night and wear with my ski jacket which has an inbuilt fleece or just a microfleece if it is not too cold. Here is my ski checklist:

Ski socks 6
Base Layer - Top 6
Base Layer - Legs 2
Mid Layer - Top 2
Hat/Helmet 1+1
Gloves 2
Buff 2
Salopettes 1
Jacket + Main Fleece 1
Ski Glasses 1
Ski Goggles 1
Sun Cream 1
Phone & Charger 1
Plug adapter 1
Ski Boots 1
Skis 1
Clothes when not skiing - couple pairs trousers, t-shirts etc.

I have a Salomon holdall which holds my ski boots and which I can wheelie around. I have no probs with doing this and carrying a set of skis.

snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don't forget your sunnies/goggles/helmet/camera/money/passport/neck warmer/toothbrush/sun-tan lotion.

I agree with Latchigo about not needing so many microfleeces. One will do if you're wearing a t-shirt underneath.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jakes Daddy, welcome to snowheads. Travel as light as you can, don't fall into the trap of taking too much. In my opinion you need a weeks worth of ski socks (got to look after the feet) but you can loose maybe 4 micro fleeces! I never travel in my ski jacket,its too warm, too bulky and I hate carrying extra things about - pack it. Do not worry about the cold in the evenings, you'll only be walking to the nearest bar and once you've had a few jagermeisters you won't feel the cold Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
toiletries pah! just bring a toothbrush .. you are travelling with th elads.. every 'lads' group has at least one person who brings about 200 quids worth of the latest hi tec toiletries .. just nick his..
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Jakes Daddy,

Flying off to Austria on thursday with Ryanir so 15kg limit... Sad
Bloody tough to stay under that limit as my "trial packing run" proved yesterday... rolling eyes
I know what you mean about the ski jacket and felt the same, but I now have to admit that I will have to wear it..
Yesterday my suitcase stood at just under 15kg with:
1 pair ski trouser
1 softshell jacket
2 sets of thermals
1 fleece
2 pairs of ski socks
gloves/hat/goggles

and for non skiing activities:
1 pair of jeans
4 t-shirts
2 jumpers
underwear/socks
1 pair of shoes

that's it!! I think it would be hard to take less than that and I am already at ryanair weigth limit, befor ethe toiletries are in! Sad

Wife says to turn myself into bibendom and wear everything!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Comfortable indoor shoes maybe, unless you are wearing the socks instead.

You can probably take as much small stuff as you want. T shirts do not take much room but you may not really need them.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Latchigo wrote:
Comfortable indoor shoes maybe...

Are you talking about slippers? Do you take slippers on holiday with you? Just wondering. wink Smile
snow report
Jakes Daddy, I can't see any reasons to use a ruck sack, just take a normal suitcase with wheels, much easier that carrying something yourself. Or you go for one of those softer bags, with wheels, for example dakine which might be useful if you want to squash it down when it's empty.

I always pack my ski jacket because I wear a normal jacket while travelling. If you have a 20kg limit and aren't taking ski boots then pack as much you want, I take a large suitcase and just fill it up instead of trying of ration how many fleeces I might need etc.
snow conditions
Snowy, It was not code for slippers.

I am well aware of the ignominy attached to slipper-wearing by the rest of the Snowhead community. Besides, on someone else's property you can wear shoes - provided 'er indoors says it is OK.
snow conditions
Welcome to snowHeads Jakes Daddy snowHead

Now where's that list ?? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Definately a rucksack - much much easier ime - but get one intended for airlines where the straps tidy away neatly or you have to go to 'weird bag dropoff' all the time.

Agree with others above, you have too many socks/fleeces - You should only need 1 or two fleeces and the way to do it is wear a fresh tshirt in the evening, and then wear it to ski in the following morning rather than othe other way round. 3 pairs of ski socks and 4 pairs of normal socks should do you.

I always wear my jacket - it's too big to pack!

HTH,

aj x
ski holidays
Make sure do don't forget to pack a list...

...or a laminator...

snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
One tip I learnt from a wise guy a few seasons ago - if you can stand it take a smoking shirt - not for you but in bars, after you've eaten in the hotel chalet and about to go out change into your smoking shirt and use same one every night the bars are all so smokey you won't notice the difference and neither will anyone else - net result save 1-2 t-shirts a week. Rules will probably change when the French join the Italians and stop smoking in bars next year! rolling eyes
snow report
Don't forget................deep heat, ibuprofun gel & something for the hangover!!!!
snow report
Wow, some serious thought goes into packing for some people.

Here's my system -

a) all my ski gear goes into one duffle type bag - Boots, jacket, - the whole lot goes in there. It weighs about 12kg fully laden (I hire skis so I have no ski carriage)

b) get another bag - throw in a few other things that you might need (what is this whole list garbage - your skiing, not moving to China)

c) go skiing!
snow report
Jakes Daddy wrote:
Quote:
Depends on your ski jacket whether you also need a fleece. Is the jacket a shell ?

Now you're getting technical with me ! How would I know ? My jacket is .... errrm.... well, a ski jacket - its big and bulky and warm! with lots of pockets and a funny little 'snow skirt' which my 6 year old boy finds hugely amusing Very Happy

In that case you almost certainly don't need anything more than a T-shirt under it most days. If it is particularly cold (below about -10C to -15C depending on how warm a person you are ) you may want a thermal vest or microfleece, but one should do the whole week.

BTW, that is not a "shell". A shell, in this context is basically just a windproof outer layer, without much bulk or warmth built in to it.
snow report
Jakes Daddy,
Do you really need to buy a _suitcase_.
You may get by with a large sportsbag - suitcases can weight quite a bit (my Samsonite weighs about 6kg, and is now only brought out when work are paying for the trip).... a sportsbag (or backpack) usually weighs 2-3kg on its own.

unless you're really slumming it, you shouldn't have to carry your bag too far, so it doesn't really matter if it doesn't have wheels...

pack less than you think you'll need.... most people over pack, and if you _really_ need something once in resort, there'll be shops....

most importantly, pack your sense of humour! (you'll need it to get you thro' the bruises), and a bottle of gin from duty free will win you friends once in the chalet....
snow report
I usually wear a cagoule (dare not use the word anorak) to travel in and I pack my ski jacket.

The advantage is that if your ski jacket does get soaked skiing all day in falling snow (please!) or heaven forbid rain, then at least you have something dry to go out in the evening while your ski jacket dries out. That may not be so important of you are in centrally located accomodation and are not going far in the evenings.
latest report
What's wrong with slippers? I always take them Toofy Grin
snow report
hamilton wrote:

pack less than you think you'll need.... most people over pack, and if you _really_ need something once in resort, there'll be shops....

Why would you pack less than you need? You only need to move your luggage from car > aiport > transfer bus > hotel, and unless you go over the weight limit it's not hard to carry.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Flying off to Austria on thursday with Ryanir so 15kg limit...

I found it really hard to get down to the Ryanair limit last time I went to Germany in 06 I ended up taking one ski boot in my backpack to achieve the weight. I was told at Luton this year, by the security people that ski boots are now not allowed in cabin baggage (they had got the ruling just that day). Luckily I was flying with Easyjet so I was well within the limit.
ski holidays
bedfordblue wrote:
I found it really hard to get down to the Ryanair limit last time I went to Germany in 06 I ended up taking one ski boot in my backpack to achieve the weight. I was told at Luton this year, by the security people that ski boots are now not allowed in cabin baggage (they had got the ruling just that day).

They do not miss a trick do they. Are you allowed to wear your ski boots on the plane ? If yes, it will probably be banned soon.
ski holidays
Quote:

I was told at Luton this year, by the security people that ski boots are now not allowed in cabin baggage

Why? I usually put one in my backpack too when travelling with Ryanair, no chance of getting under 15kg otherwise. It's not liquid, sharp, explosive.... Sounds like another Ryanair moneymaking ruse to me.
latest report
Colin B, But you could probably kick somebody to death with it .
latest report
Latchigo, Or on the way home, stuff it with dirty socks then attempt to overcome the cabin staff with noxious gases.
ski holidays
Quote:

I found it really hard to get down to the Ryanair limit last time I went to Germany

That's the idea, so they make more money out of you, and don't forget their scales will probably weigh your stuff several Kg heavier than it actually is.

snowHead
snow report
I agree with Yoda. If you take slippers, which are v light, you only need walking boots or similar for apres ski. If you don't, you will have to take off your boots when you get back from the bar (assuming they will be snowy/wet) and then put something else on your feet. The anti slipper fascism is nonsense. I also agree with all those people who say you have too many fleeces and socks. Wash them; stuff tends to dry very quickly.
ski holidays
Quote:

3 X base layer sets (trousers & top) - might need some more ?
6 X micro fleeces
10 X socks - proper ski socks and tubes

Quote:

2 pairs jeans - 1 pair for travel & first half of week, the other pair for remainder of week and travel home

Sounds like you are in fact Jake's mummy - only a bird could pack so much surplus stuff. I don't have that much for a whole season. Laughing

Go for 2 x thermals, 3 x socks, 1 x jeans - you're only going to wear tham for four hours a night, so they're hardly going to be filthy by the end of the week.
latest report
Personally I think it all depends on how much you sweat.
ski holidays
zebedee,

Hamiltom said "pack less than you THINK you need", not "less than you need".

I know where that comes from as, despite my best efforts to take the minimum of stuff, I always find after the trip that I could have done without a few things! Very Happy rolling eyes

most people, especially the first trips do tend to overdo it in terms of how stuff they take...
snow conditions
Quote:

Sounds like another Ryanair moneymaking ruse to me.

I am afraid it was not a Ryanair ruling but a governmental rule for the airport security.
snow report
Lizzard wrote:

Sounds like you are in fact Jake's mummy - only a bird could pack so much surplus stuff.

I can assure you that I am the Daddy Cool ; but it is fair to say that Jake's Mummy does rule our house with an iron fist, and most of the quantities in my list are down to her (usually easier to let her get her own way, then I have a fighting chance of getting my own way later in the evening Twisted Evil )

OK, so general consensus is that socks and fleeces can be reduced. 3 sets of base layers sounds OK to me (they dont weigh much after all). A second pair of gloves for the evening sounds like a good idea. T shirts/shirts/jumpers for evenings. Jeans. Undercrackers. Sunnies, suncream, hats, plenty of beer money ......

richjp, I'm with you with your logic about wet ski jacket and having something dry to go out in the evening in.

Seems to be lots of favour for canvas holdalls / ruck sacks / whatever over and about a traditional suitcase - do you not worry about them getting damaged by heavy-handed/light-fingered baggage handlers?
Maybe I should get down to Millets at lunchtime to see what they have - I guess once I have my bag I can work out what will and wont fit.

Cheers

JD
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy