Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

06/07 lake tahoe weekly report

Poster: A snowHead
Well, welcome to the season ahead. I'm based in tahoe area, so I'm going to use this thread thru the season as a conditions summary.

My reports will be based on my own observations, NOAA reports, Eastern Sierra Avalanche Center advisories, and local ski resort reports.

Unless otherwise noted all measurments will be expressed in English units.

Disclaimer: do not head into the Backcountry unprepared. all opinions expressed are my own and for personal
entertainment only. They are done so as to be unbiased to any one area over another.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 14-10-06 19:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oct 13, 2006
Report 1
2 snowstorms in a week Oct 5 (5in) and Oct 10 (10in) have snow levels dipping to 7000ft in the tahoe area. We are keeping fingers crossed for an earlier opening then the mid Nov dates announced by most resorts.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oct 18, 2006
Report 2

A surprise 10/16 storm hit tahoe and south with snow down to lake level (6200ft). Higher els (8000) received up to 12in, though with daytime temps at normal, the lower level snow is sure to melt.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
3snowboards, thanks for these reports, hope you can keep going during the season.

I'm not jealous at all, honest. No really, not jealous at all. Wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
3snowboards, what's your forecast for mid to late March, when I'm there?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh dear, looks like my reports from the Lake District and North Pennines are going to be somewhat eclipsed this season Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fox Hat, Just hope it's better than last year - we got the snow in March, but the wind closed many lifts! Especially the upper mountain at Squaw, which I believe you'll be visiting?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
3snowboards, what's your forecast for mid to late March, when I'm there?

Sorry, but I can't help you there. I tried to state in the opening that I would be posting just a conditions report I.E. "after-the-fact" snowfall events with snowfall amounts/snowlevels/depths.
As the polli guy stated, March last year was snowy, that it was but locally it turned out historical. Most snow tahoe ever received in one month...period! 17 feet of snow at Kirkwood in the first 17 days of the month. They ended up with a one month total of like 27 feet. All the other resorts came in with over 20 feet for the month. Some backcountry areas got even more! It was quite the out of control mess! My head still spins when I think back on it. Powderday on top of powderday for weeks in a row. I'm so glad I lived it.
Alas...this year is suppose to be a weak to mid level el-nino, which usually plays out good for us, but that would begin speculation, which I'm going to avoid.
My thoughts on squaw...One thing you won't see a lot of at squaw is trees. Not high elevation there but just too steep. Great for picking any line you want, but not good when there is weather happening. Lots of windholds there IMO.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
3snowboards, I'm a girl! Shocked Oh, and I can tell you all about Squaw - just don't get me started!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
No offense meant.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
None taken. Very Happy

There's another reason for no trees at Squaw - back in the 1960s the Mountain Manager had lots cut down within a very short period of time, against the wishes of the California State Parks who controlled the resort at that point (because they'd lent money for the Olympics). The Mountain Manager was arrested by a friend of mine who was working as a California Mountain Ranger at that time! Just a bit of history Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Report No. 3
Oct 28, 2006
Nevada side of the lake

Nothing more then dustings the last week but with favorable conditions heavenly resort has begun snowmaking operations on dipper and orion. Psyched! Hopefully ill have more good news next week.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Drove through on I-80 today, no snow Sad and Truckee had a high of 73 degrees today!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
3snowboards, you should call my brother who is putting together a new wesite with info from squaw. He's posting news, weather, info and hopefully videos and photos from top skiers. There is contact info for him at the website I'll list below:

UnofficialSquaw.com - Unofficial news, weather, info and more... reporting from under Tram Rock - Squaw Valley.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nov 2, 2006
Report 4

A good shot of moisture arrived yesterday with only high level clouds but by this morning it is now snowing heavily at the mt rose summit pass (8600ft). Have no idea how much is gonna fall. Any amount is being greeted with cheers! Hopefully we will be sliding next week.
snow report
Was snowing in Tahoe yesterday - chains were required on I-80 over Donner Summit.

Squaw is scheduled to open this coming weekend - subject to conditions, although there is scope for more snowmaking this year than ever before.

There is a memorial service for Alex Cushing on Saturday at 12 noon. The mountain will be closed from 11am to 2pm, assuming it opens at all!
snow report
Nov 12, 2006
Report 5
Mt rose wilderness, NV

Nice shot of snow arrived Friday (nov10) nite along with 68mph gusts at reno/tahoe airport (and I'm sure much higher on the ridges). Also had 3 brush fires in town Saturday.
Did a recon this morning into the alpine and found about 4 inches of new @9000ft. Rose was making snow at the bottom (8200)as of 1030am. I think southlake got most of the power out of this one. A series of storms appears to be lining up on the gulf of Alaska. Fingers crossed!
snow report
A few inches fell last night. NOAA has issued a Serious Weather Statement for Sunday night - forcasting a foot or so, we shall see!
snow conditions
Celebrated opening day at south lake's heavenly resort. Nice dry manmade conditions. Was super fun to get a lift uphill after months and months of hiking. I think there is more snow up on the north shore. the base is set up nicely for this next storm. Latest models show increased chance of significant accumulation.
latest report
02DEC06
Tahoe
3 days of snow last week (Nov 26,27,2Cool brought between 12 and 24 inches of snow in the higher elevations. Windblown conditions persisted for several days, with a return to cold and dry conditions. More local resorts now open with decent manmade coverage. Most recent El nino models are showing intensifying moisture patterns developing.
snow conditions
Squaw is open with limited terrain and mainly man made snow! Very hard man made snow!
snow report
Here's my site's report from tuesday night.

"Last night the snowmakers were hard at work making snow on both Red-dog and Mountain Run. Skiing is still limited to Mountain Run but they are making snow at night and doing a good job of keeping it groomed for some high speed cursing. I was on the hill from 9 till 12 this morning and there was no one out but a few locals enjoying the open space and great weather. It’s starting to look more and more like we are going to be picking up some snow later in the week so get out there for some long leg burners before the hill is in full swing."

Read More Here:
Unofficial Squaw's Daily Info Page
latest report
Here's our report for Thrursday.

Until we get some more snow it looks like skiing is going to be limited to just Mountain Run. Conditions on Mountain Run are staying very consistent; icy in the morning and softer in the afternoon. The last few days there has been no one on the hill but a handful of locals leaving you Read more..

ski holidays
[quote="squawski"]Here's my site's report from tuesday night.

" Skiing is still limited to Mountain Run but they are making snow at night and doing a good job of keeping it groomed for some high speed cursing. ."[quote]

That 'll be "f***, s***, b******" as you struggle to hold an edge on the man made ribbon of death then wink We've all been there I'm sure.
ski holidays
You've got that right bob!

I've been alittle late in posting these each day but you can get the info as soon as I post it from our RSS feed:
UnofficialSquaw.com's, Info Page RSS Feed

There are also some advisories happening which you can get from our Squaw Valley Weather page.

.....anyway here's today's report:

Hopefully today will be the last day of skiing on just Mountain Run.
With some snow on the way and some snowmaking on different parts of
the hill, other lifts should get going by the weekend. My guess is
that Gold Cost will open tomorrow fallowed by Red Dog and maybe
Shirley Lake depending on the snowfall. They are calling for up too
20 inches of snow up top by Monday so THINK SNOW!

ski holidays
so it rained last night, and this morning. The rumour has it that Goldcoast will open if we get decent coverage tonight. Mountain run has not been too bad, apart from having to stop to pick rock out of the run! The things we do for guest services!

I didn't make it up the funi today - too busy at Papoose.
snow report
It's SNOWING!! Madeye-Smiley I would say that we got 4-6 inches last night here under tram rock. Its looking like its just going to be Mountain Run Again, but hey its going to be fresh. Find out more @ our Squaw Valley Weather page.
latest report
Well it looks like Squaw is Not going to open any new terrain until at least the weekend. There are some systems moving into the Tahoe area this week but it is hard to say how much snow we are going to get from them. Read More...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Many of the folks who have come up for the holidays have arrived and things around the hill are starting to pickup. I have heard some talk about getting Siberia Express open for the weekend and it looks like it’s almost ready to go. It’s still a bit cold but the skies are clear and looking like we should be picking up a foot or so of snow by Friday. -Tim Read More...
ski holidays
Dec 22 saw 10-20" of fresh snow at most resorts. Climbed Mt tamarack on the north shore on the 24th. Awesome conditions that are still improving. Didn't hit any rocks all day!! I started early and did 3 laps till I ran into friends and we ended up making a kicker and sessioning that till dusk. Rode heavenly this morning and left when the gusts topped 60mph. Firm baby firm.
snow report
Wed Dec 27th
Lake tahoe, NV

Nice shot of moisture came through yesterday bringing with it 12-18" of new snow, possibly more in some isolated areas. 100+mph wind has loaded many NW-N-NE aspects raising the above treeline avy level to considerable for at least 24hrs.
snow report
Sat jan 6, 2007
Lake tahoe!

Jan 3/4 the lake region received up to 24" of wet snow followed by colder temps. 80mph N-NW winds changed to E resulting in complex crossloaded slopes. The early snow saw good cohesivness occur, but the storms cold temps at the end has produced near surface faceting. This faceting could produce a weak layer. We will watch to see if anything develops. Rock on!
snow report
<p>Winter is here but the snow is yet to arrive. The hill is covered in most spots but all and all it’s really thin. The cold temps have keep the snow from melting to much and the snow makers have been firing the guns which is keeping the groomers in good shape. Its going to be another Bluebird day with cold temps and is going to feel colder than normal due to a persistent east wind. This east wind will also prevent you from hitting ludicrous speed when coming down the upper groomers, most notable Siberia. Keep reading....
</p>
snow report
Has anyone seen the Twilight Zone episode in which the earth was spinning closer and closer to the Sun and everyday it gets a little warmer as the sun beats down. Well that's kinda what its feeling like around here. Everyday its sunny and a little warmer then the last. The snow pack is slowly get thinner and thinner but the skiing is still good. Read More....
snow report
After almost 6 weeks of dominating high pressure weather (I.E. Sunny) more normal winter weather has returned to the northern sierra. We only lost about 6" of snow depth in a test plot located at 8200'. No rain during that period, just some small amounts of lake effect snow that kept snow levels pretty level. Snow depth in mt rose wilderness was around 40"(30% of average) up until last Wed Feb 7 when the first in a series of wet storms came onshore. 6-8" was the most I saw reported on wed. Thurs night saw the arrival of a second front with totals into Friday of up to 18" in kirkwood. Today, I can report more heavy snowfall inbounds at Heavenly. Will report again tommorrow after I come down off the hill.
latest report
Unofficial Squaw's Photo of the Day 10Feb07

<p></p>
Squaw Valley Daily Update & Weather
snow report
Lake tahoe Nevada:
Feb 21, 2007

Let's see where to begin. I posted about the series of storms starting on wed. feb 7. All in all thru that Monday the area received 4-5 feet of high density 12% snow. Much sickter snowboarding and skiing went down. So that takes care of posting about that series.

The last week Feb 13th-20th has added 2 feet or so in south lake with north lake getting skunked in general.

Mt Tamarack on norshore has a 6+ foot base at el.9400

Nice series of storms appears to be lining up in the Pacific. We will cross our fingers.
latest report
I was in Kirkwood last weekend and the snow conditions appeared excellent to this novice skiier! There were some bare patches up around 'The Wall' and 'Heaven Is...' pistes but all in all the snow and pistes were in excellent condition.
snow report
UnofficialSquaw.com's Daily Report 22Feb07

Daily Report - Thursday 22 Feb ‘07
February 22nd, 2007 ·

IT’S SNOWING
New Snow
6200: 2-3
8200: 6
Unofficial Squaw Weather
Snowfall throughout today: 4-8 down low with 8-14 up top.
Windy
Lifts
Most of Uppper Mountain will be closed due to wind.
Official Squaw Lift Report

The Stash
KT-22 Powderday
No bombs going off this morning though.

Also check out our weather page: Unofficial Weather Page.
snow report
Lake tahoe, NV
Feb 24, 2007

Looks like winter around here with up to 4 feet of snow arriving between feb 21 and feb 23. Took the day off work Friday and used the time to shredd the gnar. That is all.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy