Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

public transport Thursday night at Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
What's the public gtransport like at Geneva airport to nearby resorts on a Thursday evening?
I intend to travel after work and probably arrive in Geneva around 9/10pm. I think this is after the last Altibus has left (7.30pm ) - so what's the best plan?
I want to avoid hiring a car for 3 days and /or paying for a taxi ride if possible as they seem expensive...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So you're arriving after the last bus has left and don't want to get a taxi or hire car? Erm well the only other option is to walk! Or stay in GVA overnight and get the first bus of the day to the resort the next morning?

One of the cab firms offer a shared taxi service which is cheaper than hiring a whole one if you have fewer than 6 people.

But be warned, most cab firms charge extra for late pickups after 7pm... so it may actually be cheaper to spend overnight in geneva and then get a bus if there are only 2 of you,say .... or perhaps book an earlier flight ???
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would have thought car hire is the only option, and likely to be cheaper than a taxi at that time of night. Also, if you only have a few days, you won't want the delay or expense of a night in Geneva. The transfer seems to be the most difficult part of a ski weekend - when and where are you going? You might be able to pick up some fellow travellers if you post some definite plans on the Trips thread. Have you found accommodation that is happy for you to arrive around midnight???
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
umm, you could take the train? depends which resort ur going to, but you can easily get trains to most in switzerland at 9/10, you might need to pay taxi for the last bit up from train station to resort, but usually not too expensive(ish). if ur going to france, hire car? sleep in youth hostel in geneva? dunno
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dub_01 wrote:
sleep in youth hostel in geneva?

This is what I'm doing for the EoSB due to bad flight times.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Swirly, how much is it, and how much does it cost to get there? Might be a useful standby, though there's a very cheap hotel just outside the French sector entrance, in Ferney.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, I've not booked yet but STA travel claim £13 a night and it's near the main train station. How much is your hotel?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bit of a dilemna then because the cheaper flights are on Thursday evening.
Could fly out Fri morning to skir on Friday, Sat, Sun, and some of Monday though...makes it easy for the bus but more expensive for the flight.

Although 3 people on a bus may work out more expensive than sharing a car rental + petrol ?
Trying to pick somewhere within 1/2 hrs of Geneva and free parking to make that option worthwhile...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GordonFreeman, you're not talking about THIS Thursday are you? Assuming that your planned weekend doesn't take place until after the French school hols (ie after 10 March) then you might well find some accommodation, but having a car would be extremely useful, and probably comparable to bus for three. You'll have much more flexibility looking for accommodation. Flaine might be a good bet, though French places are very inflexible about weekend bookings. You might do better going into Switzerland, but I don't know anything about Swiss resorts. Others could no doubt advise.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Swirly, that sounds good because it would be easy and cheap to get to. There is a Formule 1 in Ferney, walkable from the airport but a hike. I think the nearest one is called the Stars, around 45 euro. But it's an unpleasant walk down the road corridor into the French sector, which is not made for pedestrians and particularly horrible in the dark. A youth hostel in the centre would probably be more enjoyable. I stayed in Swiss youth hostels absolutely ages ago (in the 'sixties, in fact) and they were always good, if somewhat Swissly regimented at times.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you decide stay in GVA overnight I would recommend the Holiday Inn Express, only cost us £70 and can arrive anytime. 10 min walk from the airport. then you could travel first thing the next morning.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hotel Etap near Geneva Airport just 10 min free tram ride away(got tickets from hotel reception) we stayed there 2 weeks ago, basic but clean , cost £50
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy