Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The long drive south - breakfast and tolls

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there

Not done the drive to the Alps before so can I ask a couple of questions;

1. Where are the best breakfasts to be found, are the Autoroute Services a decent option?

2. Are tolls manned 24hrs? The reason I ask is that I have lots of Euro notes and knowing my luck I will get to a tool booth and the will be coins only! More of an issue late tomorrow night that on the way back!

Cheers

Mick
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
micksup,
Quote:

1. Where are the best breakfasts to be found, are the Autoroute Services a decent option?

2. Are tolls manned 24hrs? The reason I ask is that I have lots of Euro notes and knowing my luck I will get to a tool booth and the will be coins only! More of an issue late tomorrow night that on the way back!

You'll get a decent cup of coffee most anywhere..... even the vending machines aren't too bad. You won't (IMV) find much more that coffee and a croisant....but at least the coffee will be nice.

Tolls are manned 24hrs - but it's much faster and easier to pay with your credit card.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
micksup, are you staying in a hotel? If so, the hotel breakfast buffet is usually the best option.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
micksup,
Quote:

The reason I ask is that I have lots of Euro notes and knowing my luck I will get to a tool booth and the will be coins only!

Don't forget that whoever is in the front passenger seat will be dealing with the toll money and getting the tickets from the machine at the beginning of each toll section Toofy Grin NOT the driver who has the simple task of lining the passenger window up to the tool booth window Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For toilet breaks and better food, stop in the services which have petrol stations. Our experience is that if you stop in a stop that is only for picnicking the toilets tend to be "squatters" and yeeuucchh, whereas in the petrol stops there are proper toilets which are clean.
You can usually buy a filled baguette at a fairly reasonable price there as well.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
micksup, Best advice I was ever given was if you stop to use the loo's fill up with petrol as well. If you stop for petrol use the loo's. DO NOT make seperate stops for each Toofy Grin

(The peage loo's are usually "squatters" as well Shocked
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boredsurfin, I'm assuming you don't mean pee in the fuel tank!

Good advice, our daughter will not use the squats so we always stop at proper services. I think the machine coffee at 1E is perfectly drinkable
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boris wrote:
boredsurfin, I'm assuming you don't mean pee in the fuel tank!

Good advice, our daughter will not use the squats so we always stop at proper services. I think the machine coffee at 1E is perfectly drinkable

Tried the hot choc from the machine this time - better than the coffee. Regarding food, we usually bring our own & graze. The autoroute food is pretty plastic tasting.
Good advice about petrol & loos in one stop - for some reason there are often - specially in school hols - horrendous queues at the pumps.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
might be worth investigating if there is a decathelon en-route to pick up any bits and bobs.

handwarmers in resort are about 5-10 euros compared to 10 euros for a packet of 5.

Gloves / hats / socks / base layers are all really cheap there compared to in resort
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
geri, we took a plug in cool box this year and made sandwiches when we stopped - was great
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boris, we usually do that for our homeward journey.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
daehwons, I spotted a Decathlon in the commercial centre in Albertville as we drove past the other day - I dont remember it being there before
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

handwarmers in resort are about 5-10 euros

you obviously go to the wrong resort. They're 2 euros in my local ski shop.

Quote:

our daughter will not use the squats

tell her it's the best way of strengthening her quads. And I hope she's not planning any gap year travel to, for example, Thailand!

Quote:

Where are the best breakfasts to be found, are the Autoroute Services a decent option?

I had 2 beautifully fried eggs and bacon, a slice of fried bread and a big glass of freshly squeezed orange juice at an autoroute aire this morning. 6.50 euros. A bargain. But the coffee was revolting; great big mug of instant. A mug of tea would have been much better.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh, forgot. Yes, the tolls are open all night, as far as I can tell, and there's always a booth with a real person in. I agree that credit cards are the easiest way to pay. It's bad enough waking up a sleeping passenger without asking them to find the money, especially when you don't know how much till you get there!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, ahhhh, jambon et deux oeufs. Tres bien.
snow report
On the subject of peages, does anyone here ever find that for some reason their credit card doesn't work? That happened several times to us last time we drove Le Havre to Paris (and then on to Alps) - thankfully we had another card which did work
latest report
Ann, was that with a pre Chip and Pin card? France has been Chip and Pin for donkeys' years, and cards with only a magnetic strip won't work.
snow report
Quote:

Quote:

our daughter will not use the squats

tell her it's the best way of strengthening her quads. And I hope she's not planning any gap year travel to, for example, Thailand!

She's only 4 so not sure at the moment Laughing
latest report
Quote:

Ann, was that with a pre Chip and Pin card? France has been Chip and Pin for donkeys' years, and cards with only a magnetic strip won't work. Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:50 pm

I think that's probably why, now you mention it, tho you don't have to put in your PIN number at the peages do you? It was a few years ago Hpefully no problem this year when we travel down Calais to Chamonix!
snow report
Ann, some creidt card companies stop your card if they notice any odd spending i.e. payng for tolls in France. A quick phone call to customer services usually resolves. HAven't had this with tolls but have had it blocked in shops
snow conditions
Diesel & Red Bull or Proplus if you're a wuss. Sarnies on the move. Euros at the Peage.
ski holidays
Telepeage device must be on the recommended list.
snow report
geri wrote:
daehwons, I spotted a Decathlon in the commercial centre in Albertville as we drove past the other day - I dont remember it being there before

If its the one next to the motorway then its been there since at least summer 2005. Its sodding enormous inside, I'm surprised the tour companies havent thought of arranging a trip there.
snow conditions
Quote:

Diesel & Red Bull

Red Bull is illegal in France so don't flaunt it in close proximity to any gendarmerie
Quote:

Telepeage device must be on the recommended list.

but watch height. Our vehicle, Fiat Multipla, is too high with the ski carrier on (bars, not box) to go through the telepeage.
snow report
Bit of planning and you'll have a good journey. Anything on the Autoroute will be more expensive. But still cheaper (and better quality) than UK motorways.

Police\ Gendamerie:
Be careful not to agrivate the gendanmerie.
Remember- no sense of humour.
Do not speed and expect to get away with a warning, or have lots of cash.
They can even ask how long you have been driving! Please, no sign of Red Bull or Pro plus, these may suggest you're unfit to drive.
Dont even consider having radar detectors on your vehicle.

Peage:
If vehicle is below 2m get a Telepeage tag, this automatically charges to a credit card. May save time at busy peage. Plus dont have to wake the passenger!
Passenger will take responsibility for payments and taking a ticket.(Left hand side of car)
Booths are manned 24 hrs.

Food:
The autoroute service are OK. Even the small ones put the UK ones to shame!
Coolbox to hand, to save cash stock up before journey.
Stayed in hotels in France, if asked they'll make up sandwiches for your return journey.

Fuel:
Refuel at local (non Autoroute) stations. Calais supermarket for instance, on return any station off the hill but before the autoroute. Minimise autorote expenses. Food or fuel.

Have agreat journey!! Very Happy
snow report
Don't forget 8 - 10 hours worth of WINE GUMS. Very Happy Much cheaper in uk supermarkets
latest report
BMF_Skier, is there a good manned non-autoroute fuel stop in Calais on the way to the ferry?

Rheims is a good place to leave the autoroute in search of a hypermarket for shopping or fuel as there is a section of toll free road. If you leave in a toll section, and then get back on at the same junction you seem to pay a higher toll overall.
snow report
stewart woodward wrote:
Don't forget 8 - 10 hours worth of WINE GUMS. Very Happy Much cheaper in uk supermarkets

or mint imperials snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't forget the Ipod (or CD's)-find it helps along with long drives. A good tune can really refresh you
ski holidays
nessy, asked
Quote:
BMF_Skier, is there a good manned non-autoroute fuel stop in Calais on the way to the ferry?

Not exactly by the ferry or miles out of the way but the Auchan Hypermarket near the tunnel is as a good a place as any. No doubt therea rea mnay more. I have used that one when i'm buying beer on my return journey.
latest report
nessy, On the approach to the Calais Ferry Terminal about 2 kms. distant exit at "Sortie 3" and go right of the roundabout, follow signs for Z.A. Marcel Doret and shortly you will find a large Elf station well patronised by the truckers - the fuel has got to be reasonably priced here! Very Happy .

If you have room in the car after leaving this petrol station suggest that you travel an extra 0.5 kms and visit the Wine and Beer World, now part of Majestic Wine. This is an excellent outlet for wine from all over the world. Average savings are no less £2-£3 per bottle. We make a couple of day trips here per year and if you spend £300 you get the ferry crossing free usually with Sea France. check out www.wineandbeerworld.co.uk

Anyway a nice place to stock up after your long drive from the South.
ski holidays
Quote:

Don't forget 8 - 10 hours worth of WINE GUMS. Much cheaper in uk supermarkets

Ooohhh I love wine gums!!
snow conditions
How do you go about buying a telepeage device , can anyone tell me?
ski holidays
Ann wrote:

simply go to www.sanef.fr and follow the T elepeage links, Google language tools are very useful wink Basicall you need a credit card and that's it wink It's 2€ each month you use it 20 or 30 deposit for the box and a few € delivery cost Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Ann, asked
Quote:

Following is copied from my posting in a Telepeage thread.....

try the following site http://www.totalfrance.com/france/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2036&highlight=telepeage

To sign up is not difficult. You need a UK credit card if you live in the UK. (You can call in at one of their boutiques on the motorway and change to a French CB later if you want).
On the www.sanef.fr web site

Click on Particuliers et Professionels.
On the left click on Souscrire, then click on Souscrire en ligne, click the ad on the right "Offres", you might have to click again on Souscrire en ligne. At sometime you will have to click a button for societe or particulier, the latter is what you click for an individual.
Eventually you will get a choice of three forms of joining. The most commonly used is Formule mensuelle. This is €30 refundable deposit for the transponder and a charge of €2 per month, only for the months in which you use the card. Your charges for motorway use are then billed monthly to your credit card.
Then fill in the details of who you are, address etc., and your transponder will be on it's way.

It's much easier than it sounds and at least online there is no hurry and plenty of time to look up a word in the dictionary.

Good luck
snow conditions
I'd definitely do it if my car wasn't too tall....
snow report
pam w, you can still use it in the other lanes, the only barrier that was too low was the first (and last) toll booths, at the Calais end. Although the ones further south stated 2m also, they were actually much higher, about 2.5m I think. At most of the toll booths, the far right hand lane accepts the badge, as well as the left hand ones. If there's no lane, just hand over the badge and they scan it.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, thanks, might give it a go, though we have never encountered queues at peage it would save waking hubbie!
ski holidays
pam w, only queues we've had were on the way to the Loire valley a few years ago.
snow conditions
Just had a look at the sanef site, and it does say that telepeage is reserved for vehicles of less than 2m in height. I had a look at some of the t-lanes driving back on Friday, and some seemed to have flexible height barriers at 2m, then nothing more. It seemed a bit odd. Helen Beaumont, is your vehicle always over 2m or does it depend on your roof load? There are sometimes signs on the autoroute promoting special rates on telepeage. Are these worth having?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy