Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Feb Half Term, Les Gets - Worst Case Scenario?

Poster: A snowHead
I think i'm going to expect the worst - then I can't be dissapointed, and things can only be better...

Hi, after keeping an eye on the chatter on 'snowheads' on the run up to our trip away, I thought I'd dive in and see if I can extract a bit more of what seems to be a wealth of info...

The situation:
I'm currently made up of very mixed emotions. On one side I'm wetting myself with excitement, but on the other - I'm crying inside at the thought of no snow.
None of us have been to Les Gets before, and we've been booked up for some time now - as my partner and I are both teachers and can only get away during Feb Half term. 2 other couples are coming with us, at added expense to them, just because we're teachers...

I've never really bothered with checking snow reports and always been happy with the snow we've had. But this year has been so different! I didn't get away last winter and have been looking forward to this trip for so long. No word of a lie, I've been having restless nights at the thought of no snow...

I was so happy to see snow on the webcams a couple of weeks ago, and have been happliy watching them since. But reality is starting to sink back in now, as the 'patches' appear in the images. The forecasts (http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=ski;page=1;type=winter;country=France;resort=Les+Gets;sess=) aren't helping settle my mind either, with 'light' snow on the run up to our arrival, followed by Rain, including 'Torrential' whilst we're there! I really know very little on the effects of weather on ski resorts, but I'm guessing Torrential Rain isn't good!

Now, as mentioned, having not been to Les Gets before, my knowledge of the area is non existant. Our chalet (http://www.chalet-nouveau.com/) claims to be "next to the Mont Chery lift", which seems perfect for the less-seasoned of the group, and the more experienced of us intended to venture out into PDS at some point...

But am I right in saying that this venture may be more of a necesaty? And possibly for all the group?
I'd really appriciate any 'educated guesses' at the conditions for feb half term based on current forecasts, and any recommendations / advice on where is best to head, and how to get there?
How accessable is PDS from Les Gets?
I've been reading about people getting buses to Avoraiz?

Presuming that there will be at least some snow to be had somewhere, what would the worst case scenario be do you think?
[ Other than in the bar all day, and yes that is a bad thing - I could do that at home and save alot of money! Smile ]

Sorry, I supose my questions are a bit vague, but I'm greatful of any advice/thoughts/discussion that comes from it....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mr_simonward, Welcome to Snowheads Very Happy

The worst case scenario is probably some form of plane crash. Apart from that, I can be of little help at this time on aSaturday night.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

No word of a lie, I've been having restless nights at the thought of no snow...

Welcome to snowHead s. I think we can all sympathize with this, especially when you have others in the group. I am not a Les Gets expert, but I can tell you that it's easy to get across to the main lifts from the Mont Chery side (it's not too far to walk, even in ski boots, and when I was last there you could get a free train thingy that buzzed around). The other side has better snow, generally, and more choice of slopes especially for beginners.

Don't despair about the weather. You're right that torrential rain isn't good, especially if the snow is very thin to start with, but it's too early to say; it could be torrential snow. It's a whole week away, which is a long time in weather forecasting and the forecast freezing levels are going up and down like a yo yo. Have a nice mug of Horlicks and off to bed.... and don't be in a hurry to buy a lift pass till you see what conditions are like. You'll need to stay flexible. On another thread someone was talking about the ease of getting from Les Gets to Morillon, to ski Flaine, which is higher (and maybe better for beginners than Avoriaz at half term if the snow in Les Gets/Morzine and other parts of the PDS is a bit thin).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
cheers pam w,

Travelling to "Morillon"? I'll have to get educated on this one in preperation...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mr_simonward, You will be fine. there is plenety of skiing to be had in Les Gets at the moment and I have heard no reports of rain?? forecast in the coming week - we are hopefully looking forward to some snow!

Aspam w, it is an easy walk over to the nursery slopes from the Mont Chery side.

Keep your eye on the other threads to keep updated on the snow conditions.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Welcome to snowHeads mr_simonward

I'm with snowandtrek and pam w - a week is a long time. Whilst the base isn't great, there is some base and the ground is frozen - so any snow we get will help. Plus, the (currently) forecast drop in freezing levels will allow them to run the snow making.

Personally, I'm mildly optimistic.

In truth, the forecast until Wednesday looks reasonably certain - but thereafter it's all over the place. But the outturn looks to be more about how much precipitation we get, rather than getting any. But I could be talking rubbish there - as I'm new to this GFS lark

Anyway, keep an eye on this thread - which you've already found.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers for all the replys so far folks.

"and I have heard no reports of rain?? forecast in the coming week"
snowandtrek - I was basing the talk of rain on this forecast:
http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=ski;page=1;type=winter;country=France;resort=Les+Gets;sess=
which is currently forecasting rain from the 12th onwards...

I'd really like to ignore all forecasts and take the optimistic approach, but I'm worried that doing this will only lead to dissapointment.
I suppose I'm also a big believer in "law of the sod" (it never rains if you have an umbrella, but does if you don't !?) - If I plan and prepare for worst case scenario, then everything will be OK....
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
>"next to the Mont Chery lift", which seems perfect for the less-seasoned of the group, and the more experienced of us
>intended to venture out into PDS at some point...
>But am I right in saying that this venture may be more of a necesaty? And possibly for all the group?

Assuming the snow remains pretty much as it currently is, I think that beginners won't have a problem with staying in the Les Gets area itself. The main blues on Chavannes were holding up quite nicely... and that's what beginners will mostly be using anyway.

For anyone more experienced, I suspect that the runs that remain in good enough condition to ski on reasonably wouldn't be enough to keep you busy for the whole week. Maybe you'll have enough to do for 2 or 3 days.

At the moment there are ski connections between Les Gets and Morzine via Pleney (to allow you to access the rest of PdS). The journey takes about 30 mins to Morzine (via Bruyere, the Folliets lift and Piste B), and 45 mins the other way (via Pleney + Belvedere lifts, Granges, Charniaz lift and then ski down Gentiane). Once in Morzine there are 2 easy ways to get to Avoriaz -- where the snow is great! -- (bus+lift or petit-train+lift) and these will both take about 30 mins.

Alternatively you can travel between Les Gets and Morzine on the 'Balad d'Aulps Bus' which takes about 15 mins and then on to Avoriaz as above.

If Les Gets gets worse and the links on Pleney close then the Les Gets tourist office will run a free bus to the bottom of an Avoriaz lift -- probably a 30 min trip.

If you get 20cm of snow between now and your trip then Les Gets will be fine. If there is no snow but the temperatures remain cool then you'll at least be able to ski to Morzine as above. If the temperatures warm up then there'll be a free bus to get you to the snow. So I wouldn't worry too much!

phil
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Torrential rain? what height is les Gets? Rain is expected below 1500m towards the end of this week... which of course means snow higher up. This information is from a local Meteo France forecaster. I actually think it might snow lower down, perhaps 1000-1200m over the whole of next weekend so I would relax for the moment.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
cheers philgeorge999, that advice is being printed to be packed as I write this reply!
Hopefully it'll all be a bit more meaningful when we actually get there and have a proper piste map in front of us...

davidof, resort alt. is 1172m, but I think I've already talked myself into ignoring the forcasts - I never bother with weather forecasts here in the UK, as they're never of any use, I just seem to have got hooked on the snow reports this year because of the current situation...

Let's hope you right though, and that this "torrential rain" turns out to be a dump of powder every night!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
it will snow all ways does for the half term week Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bigtoe wrote:
it will snow all ways does for the half term week Smile

Yep, and usually on the transfer days just to make life reallty difficult for the Tour Ops Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
At least I might get some use out my snow chains!! Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I never bother with weather forecasts here in the UK, as they're never of any use

Not my experience. If you make some effort to understand the way the forecasting works, and the influences on our weather, forecasting now is really pretty reliable. Just don't bother with those stupid 2 minute TV forecasts where they are expected to sum up the entire country in a couple of sentences. I'm a sailor and would never venture out without a forecast. I suspect mountaineers and other people with outdoor hobbies are the same. Sure, they are not always right about timing of a particular event (fronts can move faster or slower than expected) but if you use the meteorological office web site and look at surface pressure charts you'll find they're generally right.

Another baking hot day today and it hasn't been freezing at 1500m for a few nights now. But it looks like getting cold enough for them to blow snow in a couple of days, which will make a big difference to the lower slopes. But most of our pistes were still very enjoyable today, around 1600 - 2000m, with just a few patches of soup here and there.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Was in Les Gets at Christmas, going again for half term myself. Been there many many times. Never worried before, just a little this year.

Brittish paranoia?

Read the reports for Christmas, they'll make you cry but I think they were way off. Wasnt too bad at all.

Do you have cars?

If not, think about hiring some.

We're staying about 1km from the chavanne bubble. That's a million miles in ski boots, so am each day, we drive to the top of the chavanne bubble and ski around from there, returning to the car for lunch, drinks, snacks, a sit down, a fag, whatever..

In the unlikely event global warming breaks out sometime in the next 5 days, use your car to travel to wherever. No dramas, no sleepless nights and the price of a meal for two each for a couple of baby cars. Put four in one car and use the other to transport the gear - two handed.

You can ge to some class resorts an hour in any direction.

Who else is going that week?

fancy a beer?

Smile

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 4-02-07 22:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
It's dumping as I type so lets not worry then Smile
ski holidays
MODS - should this not be moved to snow reports?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy