Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

repairing holes in the ski-base that are right next to the edge and go down to the backboard.

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for advice on repairing holes in the ski-base that are right next to the edge and go down to the backboard.
Or are my skis truly trashed.

It was a rocky week in Switzerland , and I was filling holes each night to keep going.
I tried filling the holes with p-tex candle, and most of the repairs had fallen out again by the end of the day. No such problems with holes in the centre of the skis.
Two edge holes were pretty major; around 60 mm long, and 5 mm at the widest.

In all honesty, I had them serviced in the shop at the end of the holiday and there was a small difference of opinion between the technicians.
One said that the skis were trashed, and should be binned immediately.
The other one said it might be worth a go using "metal ptex" (whatever that is ... probably got the name wrong ), but there were no guarantees it would work because the skis flex a lot on the edge. And if their repairs fell out, then bin them.

So, any recommendations on what do with holes next to the edges?
Can I use something other than P-tex candles to fill the gaps with any success.
All tips/techniques welcomed.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hold on a while "spyderjon" will be along soon, but yes generally skis can be repaired. There is a special ptex tape that adheres to the metal edge.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had something similiar in my Force 9s (many moons ago)

My local shop cut out the base, and repaired it with a whole new patch, was fine and lasted without any issues.

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
TJon, How old are they - measured by the number of base grinds and services they've had? Eventually the bases get so thin that there's not enough depth to effect a proper repair and at that point they can be retired to light rock-hopping duties
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Had the same problem two weeks ago. Had them serviced and they, I am glad to say are fantastic. Had them done in resort and they did a great job.

Go to a professional, pay a little and get extra life from your skis, so long as David Murdoch, says you have enough life in your skis left.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've got a few marks in the bases of my ski's and blades now most of them looking, to my untrained eye, fairly minor. But does anyone have some examples of the damage on their bases so that I have a better idea of the kind of damage that you guys are talking about when your on about needing these various forms of repair, or even needing to bin the ski's. Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Murdoch,
Quote:

TJon, How old are they - measured by the number of base grinds and services they've had? Eventually the bases get so thin that there's not enough depth to effect a proper repair and at that point they can be retired to light rock-hopping duties

They've got nine weeks skiing on them. Probably 50/50 on/off piste. And a lot of rocks in the last two weeks Crying or Very sad
Professional services in that time - 4 or 5
and 3 or 4 by me.

Thing is, I'd like to do most of the servicing myself, unless it looks like a base grind is needed.
It's not that I'm a tight-wad , I just like to feel that a bit more in tune with my kit and not just a punter.

All my previous repairs have been fine, but those big holes near the edge really did for me. Wondering if I should be using some different gunge than p-tex candles.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
TJon, Send spyderjon a PM and he will sell you a length of the special metal grip Ptex.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
TJon, Here's an extract from my tuning guide on how to repair major base damage:

For major damage that penetrates the p-tex through to the core of the ski (know as ‘core shots’) or is close to the edge it’s necessary to weld in a ‘foundation’ layer prior to applying the p-tex. This is because p-tex doesn't stick well to the ski core & the ski edge. What's needed is a foundation that sticks well to the core & edge that then allow the p-tex to stick well to it.

For this you use a product called Metal Grip which is available on a roll or in cut lengths (cut lengths are £3/metre + postage).

Metal Grip is a co-polymer wire of resin & polythene. It will bond to most materials at a lower temperature than p-tex. It's the ideal 'foundation' material for repairing major damage to bases where in the past only a patch might have been successful. Metal Grip has to be installed using either a Base Doc tool (a gas soldering iron type tool with an elliptical head) or a ‘hot plate’ pistol.

A pucka hot plate pistol is megabucks for the DIY'er but the Base Doc is more affordable at £40 + postage. The benefit of this tool is that you also use it for normal base repairs with flat p-tex strips which gives waaay better adhesion than the dripping candle method as the Base Doc heats up the base for a proper 'welded' joint.

Methodology:
1. Thoroughly clean the base in the affected area with wax remover.
2. Rough-up the inside of the gouge & undercut if possible.
3. Warm the general area of the ski with a hairdryer & then the specific area with the Base Doc.
4. Melt/weld a light layer of Metal Grip into the area using the Base Doc.
5. Let the area cool completely - preferably overnight.
6. Complete the repair with a top coat of p-tex repeating the above steps but this time weld in the flat p-tex strip.
7. Finish the repair in the normal way.

BTW, don't ever put Metal Grip wire in a base repair pistol or hot glue gun.

Hope this helps.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spyderjon, thanks - a v full explanation, All makes much more sense now.
Did a quick google on "Base Doc" and it's not mentioned much. I assume that a normal gas soldering iron with a wide tip would do the same job?
Ta
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
TJon, I would assume so, as would an elecy soldering iron. The p-tex, depending upon manufacturer, melts from about 140C upwards so you're looking for a tool that gives tight temperature control from say 130-200C.
I've only ever used the Kunzmann Base Doc with metal grip but I have made a few different shaped interchangeable heads for it so I can get into all the nooks & crannies.

Some of the epoxy resins used to construct skis & boards start to melt at about 150C so be careful.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alternatively..............if the board is approaching the end of its life try slow cure Araldite. I've had good sucess with that and if done carefully it seems to stay in OK.

Obviously it won't hold wax but that doesn't really matter since all you are atttempting to do is get a smooth base. Its also a very cheap and quick repair technique.

Practice first getting the mixture right. I use a Stanley knife blade to get a flat finish.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My wife once pulled the edge out of a pair or Rossi FP's, at the same time the base material was gouged out for about 150mm by 8mm wide exposing the dovetails of the edge. I was able to get the edge back in place and did as Peter S, said filled it all with epoxy. My wife skied the rest of the season 20+ days without problem. The skis were given to a friend who continued to use them for a further 2 years, but only 25 days till someone stole them from outside a bar.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yup, I've done a layer of araldite then when its gone tacky filled it with ptex as nrmal. Mrs prog99's blades seem to still be going after she coreshotted them at Nevis. (In powder for goodness sake!!)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can anyone recommend anywhere fairly near to Nottingham where I may get this sort of repair done.... ie a piece hacked out of the base under the binding next to an edge

Was "grass skiing" in Kitz this week... now paying the price!
snow report
SnowGod, now. Let me think Confused
snow conditions
SnowGod wrote:
Can anyone recommend anywhere fairly near to Nottingham where I may get this sort of repair done.... ie a piece hacked out of the base under the binding next to an edge

Was "grass skiing" in Kitz this week... now paying the price!

SnowGod Me! I'm in Lambley. PM me your email address & I'll send you my info etc.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy