Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Queenstown NZ

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking of heading out to Queenstown for a season down under, just wondered if anyone had any experience or advice, I know the resorts are hardly European or American standard but the whole idea of skiing in our summer sounds great!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
b.dudman, better than sitting around for a summer here!!

One thing to be aware of, is that the ski areas are away from the town....so it involves a journey each day to/from the slopes.

I didn't do much skiing while I was there (went out to Christchurch for a friends wedding - not a ski holiday), but Queenstown is a great place.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Queenstown is awesome. I sepnt 6 months there a while ago - summer and start of a ski season and the place is heaven on earth.

As Elizabeth B says the slopes are away from town - the closest is The Remarkables and that is about 8km from town. There are loads of hostels to stay in to begin with (The Hippo Lodge and the YHA are about the best), but for long term rents you need to be there early in the season as the good places get taken early.

It is a tourist town, so you have to be creative to eat and live cheaply. Get a cheap car and drive to Frankton (5km from town) or Blenheim (10km from town) or any supermarkets outside of town as the food etc. is cheaper there. A car is an essential in the winter, you can pick one up from a departing backpacker for not very much $, but bare in mid you'll need chains for some to get to some places.

To drink, hit Red Rock just off Shotover Street, Dux De Lux on the lake and The World Bar for a cheese fest. And you just have to have a FergBurger - the best burgers i have ever tasted and something of a Queenstown institution.

if you need any more info or hae specific questions just drop me a PM.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
b.dudman, I haven't skiied there, but can echo Elizabeth B and stevec comments on Queenstown being an amazing place, in fact the whole of the South Island is just awesome, and if you have the opportunity to live there for a while I'd jump at it.

Quote:

stevec, And you just have to have a FergBurger - the best burgers i have ever tasted and something of a Queenstown institution.

I'd totally forgot about this (mind you it was about 5 years ago I was there), this is the place where the burgers have cocktail sticks and a litlle flag on the top right?!

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Queenstowns great but..........

If you want to go for a full on season party then Queenstown is the place. 2 Ski fields just out of QT. Remarkables and Corronet Peak.
If you want to go to where the locals go get better skiing and get into the NZ culture a bit more you want to be heading to Wanaka (1 hour north of queenstown) where you've got Trebble Cone (steep with the some of the best back coutry in the world), Cadrona, Snowpark (jibbers paradize) and snowfarm (cross country skiers with big beards)

Working up the south Island you get smaller fields like Dobson and Ohau which are all great but small. Very local based.
In Canterbury is where the real skiing starts. but not really where would spend a season. I'm talking club fields like Cragieburn. These places rock but we are talking no piste grooming and a rope tow into some of the best back country in the world.
Loads of other great fields in the South (about 18 in total).
In the North Island you have the to biggest fields in NZ. Turoa and Whakapapa or Mount Doom (yes it was Mt doom in the film).

GO TO WANAKA!!!!!!!!!! Tourists go to Queenstown, seasonaires go to Wanaka.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

GO TO WANAKA!!!!!!!!!! Tourists go to Queenstown, seasonaires go to Wanaka.

Good shout, in fact do both.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davejsy, Correct, awesome food. they were open 24 hours a day last time i was there - nothing better after a few beers!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Queenstown is a stunning spot eh. Only 1hr drive between the two. The best place to go to get info on skiing in NZ is

www.snow.co.nz

Heres a link to a great review from a English Bloke whos moved to NZ with his family along with some great photos.

http://www.rush-junkies.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=406
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kiwi1, Very true, in fact, remind me again why i left... Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been in the UK for 10 years mate. I ask that question of myself a lot. I've had fun in the UK but in 2 years 10 months I shall return to the land of the long white cloud for good.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I did a season in Wanaka in 2003. Loved it.

Queenstown too busy and built up.

Ah - such sweet memories...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Great spot eh Duvet,
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Duvet, kiwi1, Please be quiet Toofy Grin .

I am beginning to get those thoughts again. Then i start talking the the gf about life out there. Then i start looking and visa websites and property pages. rolling eyes rolling eyes

Wanka is beautiful, in fact the whole south island is...

Right then, anyone need a recruitment guru in the South Island of NZ, will concider most locations except Greymouth? Anyone?????
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
B.Dudman - IF you decide to do it, I'd book your Season Pass as soon as possible - they price them dirt cheap months in advance and hike the price up as the start of the season approaches...
...I bought mine online for $499 NZ in late March, by the time I got to Queenstown in mid-May the price was up to about $1400 I think.

Mind you, that was back in 2002 so dunno what it'll cost nowadays...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Still happens. A season pass at Whakapapa and Turoa in the Nth Island costs about $395 (about £140). They've finished a run of life time passes for about $3000 (£1300) and super lifetime (give it to some one once you die) for about $10000 (£4000) all to raise funds for new lifts.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy