Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Debit cards vs Foreign exchange

Poster: A snowHead
I have a related question for any financially astute people?!

At present if i got cash from the post office (commission free) the exchange rate into Canada Dollars is 2.17.

I know its small change, but looking at the Barclays website if i drew out from a cash machine in Canada that is in the Barlays Alliance (ScotiaBank), using my Visa Delta card, the following applies:

"Your transaction is converted into sterling at the exchange rate based on market or government-set rates.

For card transactions, this will be the rate on the date the amount is debited to your account. A 2.75% charge for Barclays handling costs and any VISA processing fees are included in the sterling conversion on your statement."

Looking at XE.com the current market rate is 2.228. Barclays charage 2.75% per transaction, so the exchange rate would be 2.228 - 0.0627 = 2.22

As such i would be slightly better off (or more importantly no worse off) if i drew cash out from a ScotiaBank machine. I would be equally as well off if i drew it out at another machine as the charge is 2% (e.g. making the exchnage rate 2.17 which is the same as Post office).

So, 2 questions:

- Does this rate i got off www.xe.com actually represent the 'market or government-set rate'
- are there very many Scotiabank machines in West Canada (namely Whistler initially).

Anyone know anything about these things?!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I do know that having the Euro in Ireland is a wonderful thing for when going on holiday in Europe now as the banks no longer get to take a cut of everything. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good questions.
XE is not the tourist rate. (I know that much)

...after that, the thing to remember is that in Canada and the US people will use their credit cards to buy everything - whether it's one beer or a hotel for the week.

There are ATMs in Whistler - can't remember who all has them, but there are plenty around.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I used to have a Scotia Bank account many years ago, but lived 200km from the nearest ATM... Nice cheques though.

I see there is a Scotiabank somewhere in Whistler at 212-2059 LAKE PLACID ROAD, WHISTLER, BC, V0N 1B2. See here for locator.

Are you sure you wont get charged an exchange rate and a cash transaction fee for drawings at an ATM via your uk account? I usually do in Europe and US. I usually take a wad of cash to Canada, and Lloyds TSB doesn't charge commission for internet cash orders picked up at a branch, and currently sells $ can at 2.175.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 9-01-07 14:57; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Generally the bank rate is very similar to the rate you see on xe xrates etc - but it fluctuates a lot, so it really does depend exactly when you card provided does your fx.

Generally I agree with your sums, my cards are better rates than I get in exchange counters. My credit card is usually better than my switch and nationwide don't card for fx which would be even better,

aj xx
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Your math is wrong by the way... 2.228 - 0.0627 = 2.22 , No it equals 2.16 [edit 2.17 as below - thanks laundryaman]. and I suspect the Barclays rate may not be the XE rate, although the rates I see on my ATM withdrawals are usually a bit better than the tourist rates. So probably nearer 2.14-2.15.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 9-01-07 15:09; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
2.17 to three significant figures.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
laundryman, You are right... my bad. Still not 2.22 though. and it presumes the XE rate is the card-handlers rate for the day.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stoatsbrother, Embarassed

still, it looks like there isnt much in it...but a good spot!

The sentence i copied out in my first post is from barclays, so that must be the case..(e.g. they do charge, but not at ScotiaBanks!)

I think ill go half way and take about £200 worth in cash and sleep easy knowing the exchange rate with my card is not TOO bad...especially if i pay for more expenseive goods with the card and therefore avoid the extra 2% (i presume that is the case). Im not a big fan of carrying wods of cash around with me, and find travellers cheques embarassing!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

...after that, the thing to remember is that in Canada and the US people will use their credit cards to buy everything - whether it's one beer or a hotel for the week.

WTFH, wow thats weird. The number of times i walk for ages to a cash point around here to save the embarrasment of paying by card at a bar!

ooh, another question - does chip and pin work abroad??!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tomski01, I take half and half. Taking cash out abroad is so much easier than having to work out exactly how many euros to take with you!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
oh, sorry folks i think i should have clicked one of the links on the barclays site which answers all my questions....

http://www.personal.barclays.co.uk/BRC1/jsp/brccontrol?task=popup1group&value=9360&target=_blank&site=pfs

this link may prove useful to others tho Laughing . it shows that actually ATMs are the worst (unless you are with Barclays and use Scotia bank, then it is equal best...i am sure there must be other 'alliances' for other high street banks?), FEX second and buying directly with card best. The differences are small..but worth bearing in mind.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tomski01, I think that makes sense: there's more work involved for the banks if they have to squirt cash at you and take it back from a retailer.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the stg cad rate is 2.2866 at this precise moment banks deal with each other with a 10 to 15 tick spread so 2.2855 for example would be a good rate.. obviously you need to be doing a few million quid plus to access this kind of action ..
thomas cook express deliver in london and quote much better rates.. not sure on stg/cad but the euro rate is usually no more than 50 cents away as opposed to the usual 600 odd or worse at the airport
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sorry thomas exchange.. getting me travel agents a f.x. types confused.. may take some setting up but me and a few guys in town regularly use them and bulk our purchases up
snow report
actually just totally ignore what im saying my mate has ahad a deal with them for ages it will take too much hassle to get the kind of service he does
snow report
Why not save yourself the charges issue and open a Nationwide account? THey make no charge for withdrawing from ATMs abroad
ski holidays
eng_ch wrote:
Why not save yourself the charges issue and open a Nationwide account? THey make no charge for withdrawing from ATMs abroad

Agree with that, although I use a Nationwide credit card. Last time I checked they worked out best with no charges and good rate.
snow report
zebedee wrote:
eng_ch wrote:

Agree with that, although I use a Nationwide credit card. Last time I checked they worked out best with no charges and good rate.

I would second that - the rate for purchase in Euros usually much better than you could get money for e.g. bought boots last year at 1.48 ish, bought money for 1.42 ish. Can't back that up with any evidence for current rates though Smile
snow report
I just got my 1st (Info from snowHead) Nationwide statement. I used it over xmas euros at 1.489. Cash at Post office was about 1.42 and M+S 1.44

I didn't draw any cash out, I know they don't charge a fx fee but I think they do make a cash withdrawal charge of 2%. But still a good deal.
ski holidays
well, ist probably too late now, not many days to get out the office and open an account before i go...will def bear in mind next time tho!
snow conditions
gsb, Interesting. I think I remember some one saying they were good for euros, but less so for us/can $. Is this right? I want to open another bank account soon to this is interesting info for me.
ski holidays
gsb, Me too Toofy Grin Mine vary's from 1.479 on December 23rd to 1.483 on January 3rd 2007 as you say still a good deal. Well done snowHead 's Very Happy
ski holidays
I was skiing over the Christmas period in France and the exchange rates I saw were: Bristol Airport 1.33, Crystal-sourced lift passes during transfer = 1.41, Nationwide Debit card ATM = 1.489 (no surcharge).
snow report
boredsurfin, similar rate to my Nationwide debit card.
latest report
eng_ch wrote:

We used our Nationwide card last year in Canada and had great exchange rates, but one word of warning. It worked fine in bank ATMs but on mountain resorts like Panorama tend to have a free standing ATM in the shop or day lodge. Our Nationwide card did not work in those.
latest report
tomski01 wrote:
...................... Does this rate i got off www.xe.com actually represent the 'market or government-set rate'..........

You may wish to compare with the FT currency converter which I would guess is as good as it gets for the international market rate.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont wrote:
boredsurfin, similar rate to my Nationwide debit card.

I should have added that those rates were on my Nationnwide Visa Credit Card. Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is a favourite subject on some of the financial bulletin boards, and the answer what is best depends on whether you are talking about getting CASH or paying for GOODS/SERVICES on a card.

Getting CASH, then the best method is a Nationwide ATM card, which you get with a Nationwide Flex Account. For this, you'll get (near as damn it) the inter-bank spot rate for the transaction [This is what is published on XE.com, oanda.com and many others]. Next best is just about any other bank's ATM card - for this you'll get the inter-bank spot rate less typically 2.75%, maybe less an additional transaction fee. Worst is cash from an exchange bureaux, which in the UK will typically give you an exchange rate of about 5-7% worse than the inter-bank rate (regardless of whether they describe it as "commission free" or not). [Note this assumes the ATM you are using doesn't itself charge - most at actual banks don't. Note also there are minimum amounts for most fees and you *must* make sure that the percentage fee for your withdrawal exceeds the minumum fee otherwise you can easily end up paying a much higher percentage in fees.]

For GOODS/SERVICES, then payment by Credit (or Debit) Card becomes good value. Again, Nationwide lead the way and you'll get the inter-bank spot rate - they are being chased by the Post Office which claims the same but I've not had enough transactions through my account to fully validate their claim [Nationwide refund the 1% charged by Visa/Mastercard International outside the EU, but it's not clear if the Post Office do so]. Following close is Frizzell, who do Liverpool Victoria and Saga credit cards (and a few other minor ones), but they only don't charge inside the EU. Then just about any other bank's credit card then gives a good deal: most charging the same 2.75% (BUT CHECK YOURS - there are a few horrors about). Of course you could still pay cash from the exchange bureaux, at 5-7% worse than the inter-bank rate.

My rule nowadays is to check your arrival airport's website for ATMs. If they have them, wait until you get there before getting cash (ideally on a Nationwide ATM card), if they don't, then pre-order some currency "commission free" from Travelex's website for collection at your departure airport - Travelex IME give the best deal of any of the exchange bureaux *provided* you pre-order - user you debit/ATM card NOT your credit card.

One thing to be aware of is of places that "conveniently" offer to charge you in sterling for your transaction: AVOID AT ALL COSTS. This means *they* get to choose the exchange rate used, which could in theory be good, but in practice it's cr*p. If this happens, then INSIST on being charged in the local currency: Visa/Mastercard rules state that you *must* be given this option: if they refuse, then on return I'd have no hesititation in disputing the transaction and refusing to pay.

[I haven't bothered with Travellers Cheques: but suffice to say they offer even worse rates, albeit with a limited level of security built in.]
ski holidays
RobW, an excellent and highly informative post. Thanks.
latest report
RobW, excellent, thanks for confirming things. I am sure Barclay will give a fairly average (e.g. not great) rate, but sounds better than the foreign exchange cash option as long as i may for as much as posisble on card. Just need to find me a ScotiaBank in Vanvouver airport now then ill be even happier!! Now i just hope someone leaves me some powder snowHead , oh and ive lost me goggles...right back to excited sleepless nights and forever checking webcams...
latest report
tomski01, I know there's an ATM in the Dubh Linn Gate, but it's a pub one, so you pay $2 I think for each transaction.
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, plus if i end up in there i may never come out! wink
ski holidays
I couldn't use my Barclays connect card in Whistler altho' Switch/Maestro worked well. Totally the opposite to Banff where my connect card was fine for getting out beer tokens!

I don't remember which cash points I tried, but defo more than one.
ski holidays
In Canada, lots of the ATMs away from banks are part of the Interac network. IME the cards that such ATMs accept are limited: they seem to only take US or Canada-issued Mastercards or Visacards - certainly not European ones, whilst as flashk5 found, Switch/Maestro is fine. This can be a bit of a nuisance if you are in a resort where the nearest banks are half-a-day drive away!
snow report
I can't remember having a problem with my Connect card in Whistler.
snow report
I used my Halifax credit card in France at the PSB a lot, it gave me a great rate but charged me £3 for every transaction, which I could not remember it doing last season. So maybe there’s been a change in its trading conditions.
So now back to taking Cash with the Card as backup.
snow report
Nick_C wrote:
I used my Halifax credit card in France at the PSB a lot, it gave me a great rate but charged me £3 for every transaction, which I could not remember it doing last season. So maybe there’s been a change in its trading conditions.
So now back to taking Cash with the Card as backup.

Or vote with your wallet and take a card which doesn't have such charges.
ski holidays
RobW, True and I'm looking around, following this thread a Nationwide account is looking on the cards Smile
latest report
RobW wrote:
In Canada, lots of the ATMs away from banks are part of the Interac network. IME the cards that such ATMs accept are limited: they seem to only take US or Canada-issued Mastercards or Visacards - certainly not European ones, whilst as flashk5 found, Switch/Maestro is fine. This can be a bit of a nuisance if you are in a resort where the nearest banks are half-a-day drive away!

Agreed.

When I went to Jasper/Lake Louise/Banff for years ago, only the machines in the banks would accept either of my cards. None of the free standing ones in the hotels or around the ski area would accept either my debit card or my credit card (both Visa)

But as usual, in the banks my Nationwide debit card was free to use and a better exchange rate than the tourist rate.

And when I commented on the problem while buying a pair of goggles in the shop at Marmot basin, they allowed me $20 "cashback" (they wouold have given more I think), plus the restaurant was quite happy to accept visa even for a cup of coffee.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy