Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sleeping in car to save money at resort?

Poster: A snowHead
I've been considering sleeping in my honda civic to get a few consecutive days in at multiple resorts. My idea...

1. Pick Ski Resort (leanings towards Kirkwood or Mammoth, both are less than 4 hours away)
2. Leave super early in the morning (4am)
3. Get to ski resort around 9am
4. Ski to my hearts content
5. Sleep in car
6. Wake
7. Ski
8. Go home

I can't imagine a cheaper, more effective way to get two days in at a ski resort.

I'm tough I know I can make do in a car. But...can I park at the resort parking lot with no problems, or is there a place to find over night parking?
My next question is, is it possible to shower somewhere? I'll spend money to shower, that's fine but are there "public" showers available anywhere. I could always sneak into a hotel, indoor pool areas normally have showers.

My only real concern is what would happen in the event of an injury?

How many people have done this?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You will freeze to death, you complete loony.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've never done it in a resort, but once I did spend night in the car on the drive down to the French Alps in order to save a bit of cash. Although it was a cold night it was nowhere near resort temperatures, but still it was a completely miserable experience and one I won't repeat ever. If you have a car surely you can drive away from the resort area and find a cheap motel that's not going to cost too much?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lizzard, Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lizzard, has summed things up nicely I think Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ditto the above comments. I once spent an night in a car crossing Germany, not even the Alps, in winter. Woke freezing every 40 mins or so and had to run the engine to warm it up enough for me to doze off again. worst night of my life - never again.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sure you can sleep in the car. And when the police wake you up and arrest you you can sleep in the pokey.
Many ski areas are posted for no parking and no sleeping, especially in the ski area parking lots.
You might be able to get away with sleeping in a truck rest area if the hookers don't wake you up.
One other way is winter camping. Buy a North Face tent...they're easy to pitch (throw them on the ground and they pop up) and an air mat and -20F sleeping bag and go for it in the woods.
Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SloopJohnB wrote:

..You might be able to get away with sleeping in a truck rest area if the hookers don't wake you up.
... Toofy Grin

Now that sounds like a better way to keep warm than running the engine Cool
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Welcome to snowHeads SloopJohnB, snowHead
junebughunter, I thought there were motels in the states where u could stay for like $3.50 per night. Alright u might catch something nasty off the bedclothes but at least u wont freeze to death.

Have you considered learning to build an igloo?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sleeping in a car for 1 day is a bit skanky, but you will be fine. Take plenty of blankets. Wear lots of layers. Watch out for plod.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
junebughunter, ...... welcome to snowHeads ..... snowHead

....... In my humble opinion you will fit in here just fine ........ Toofy Grin

Quote:

1. Pick Ski Resort (leanings towards Kirkwood or Mammoth, both are less than 4 hours away)
2. Leave super early in the morning (4am)
3. Get to ski resort around 9am
4. Ski to my hearts content
5. Sleep in car
6. Wake
7. Ski
8. Go home

Assuming you have studied Lizzard,'s excellent, "Advice on Car Sleeping in Ski Resorts" and still wish to pursue your dreams then I would suggest some minor alterations to your list:

Point 5 - Delete and insert 'Lie awake in car contemplating frostbite'

Point 6 - Insert 'Possibly wake up'

Point 7 - Omit 'Ski' - Insert - Begin '4-hour trying to get frozen ski-boots on feet' marathon

Point 8 - Go home without having managed to get ski-boots on.

Point 9 - Look up treatment for Pneumonia on website.

Seriously though, people do it - a friend of mine does it occasionally, but in my view you need a serious 'expedition' type sleeping bag, very warm headgear and some will power....!

Park in a safe place & NEVER light a stove, or fueled heater in your car.

Have fun ......... you may be considered for the snowheads snowHead Cross if you make a report back here after your mission .... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well the current weather at any of the resorts I'm considering doing this at only drops down to about 10-15'F/ -12 to -9'C. I've tent camped in about 20'f/-6C before, and I was under prepared which made me really cold all night but I survived. I figured with some body thermals, sweats and a really nice sleeping bag I'd be good.

The benefit of my car being so small is that my body would keep it fairly warm.

Now, I'd definitely make sure it was ok to park overnight before I stayed anywhere. Maybe I'll try sleeping in my car in front of my house on a cold night and see how I fair, and try and imagine it 10 degrees colder.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
junebughunter, ..... more realistic if you know anyone who would let you sleep in a refridgerated cold-store ....... Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
junebughunter, Do you have a chest freezer at home........................................ Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
With a decent sleeping bag you should be fine.
snow conditions
You can borrow my black lab. he will keep you warm in your sleeping bag. Problem is he can get frisky with strangers NehNeh
latest report
junebughunter, Your body will NOT keep your car warm (was Darwin a sH?). A seriously GOOD sleeping bag is the minimum you need to survive. . . Yes SURVIVE you numbnut! Yes, what your proposing can be done but you do need to be prepared for a VERY cold night. I have winter bivouacked many times and you would be warmer in a small tent on a ground pad than you will be in a car.

Half a dozen thermal packs could come in useful in the morning . . . as would a full tank of gas.
ski holidays
One problem would be the massive ice build up you would get on the inside of the windows. If any thaw takes place in the car durng the day it could make for a very damp environment.
snow conditions
junebughunter,

Good luck, but would you not be better, just paying a few quid for a cheap hotel, surely, you would wake refreshed and enjoy the second day's skiing more??
snow report
Elizabeth B, but for that sort of money you could have a week in a cheap motel.
ski holidays
dont listen to all the softys....lol, it could be fun. and thats what life is all about, having fun and living life to the full. i spent a night stuck in a snowdrift in a sherpa minibus, on the A93 en route to glenshee/scotland, was with a few others and it was fun. was cold at times but fun none the less. was well below zero that night. if you wanna do it then go for it, as has already been mentioned, plenty layers, a good sleeping bag, food, maybe a thermos of hot drink, plenty water and a big smile on your face... have fun and enjoy. Very Happy
snow report
Quote:
was well below zero that night.

junebughunter, he means Celsius, not Fahrenheit.
latest report
Lizzard, true. But the sleeping bag will last for years.
snow report
junebughunter, One January (pre-kids) we drove to Cervinia, which we often did, but for some reason we hadn't booked our normal overnight stop in Aosta - thought we would be able to just turn up & get a room. We arrived slightly late in Aosta, couldn't get a room so decided to drive up to cervinia & kip for the remaining few hours in the car. We put all our stuff on (all in one's in those days!) plus hats & gloves & a couple of rugs. I thought we were going to die - everything exposed froze - I woke up every 20 minutes with a start - the vodka froze too! So I couldn't recommend it because it was terrifyingly cold (though of course we were not adequately prepared). We missed a days skiing too, catching up on sleep.

To complete the story I must mention, that matt had eaten something dodgy on the way & at 4.00 a.m. he awoke with the raging wotnots - jumping out of the car every twenty minutes to find a pile of snow. rolling eyes we did see the funny side, but it was bl@@dy scary at the time. Good luck with whatever you decide Very Happy
ski holidays
A few years back, I slept briefly in a car in the French Alps when temps went as low as -27c / -17f. Icicles were hanging from the roof in the morning. It was a good craic.

Wrap up in several layers. Wear a hat and balaclava. Take a sleeping bag and several blankets. Hang sheets from the inside of the car, to help keep the heat in. Run the aircon every few hours, if you have to.

Enjoy!
ski holidays
rpft wrote:
junebughunterI woke up every 20 minutes with a start - the vodka froze too!

Uhh 80 proof vodka freezes at -30 to -40 degrees Celsius...sounds a little far-fetched... And is much colder than anything I would experience.

What I have inferred from this post is, it can be done, it will be cold, and I need to make sure I don't die.

I am beginning to think I just need to find a nearby, but not at the resort hotel and split the cost with a friend or something.
snow report
I have spent many nights in the Alps in a car down to about -16, a good bag and thermals help have a down jacket handy. I have also slept in a bivi beside the car. Just pick a quiet spot I was woken up by the police in La Daille car park and asked to move on. I never sleep in heated rooms anyway. Sounds as if you should probably get a room though.
snow report
warmest- get a cheap room anywhere.

Best for having a story to tell people in 'x' number of years from now - sleep in car.

best compromise - tent and quality mounaineering sleeping bag/thermarest/thermals.

Metal boxes (cars) act just like..... er... metal boxes in the cold. Better, as someone else said, to bivvi up or preferably take a tent. It always seems counter intuitive but you will actually be warmer. Spent a night in a snowhole once at minus a lot of degrees, with the right kit, it wasnt palacial but it wasnt the worst nights sleep ever. Infact, snow hole at the top of the resort and you wont even have to worry about police/hookers and you get fresh tracks in the morning.. Brilliant! snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have slept in a van and a few cars a few times in winter in UK camping trips. It is all down to preparation with enough blankets. Hot water bottle and hot drinks (in thermal) help too. I suppose it is one of those things one would do when one is young and money is tight. I would put the snow chains on if there is any snow. In one evening in Chamonix my car was completely buried under the snow but I was sleeping in the mobile home next to it.
ski holidays
Quote:

I need to make sure I don't die.

Good plan!
snow conditions
jsl, welcome to Snowheads. I had to spend a night in the car once, no room at the inn, just kept the engine ticking over and the heater on. I pulled into the area where motor caravans go, so I was not bothered about being hassled by police. Was fine and didn't use much petrol (before anyone tells me I am solely responsible for global warming, I bet my carbon footprint for that night was less than that of someone in a fancy hotel with hot tubs on the terrace or with air conditioning on in a bedroom all night). It only got to about minus 5, but I think I would still have been warm enough if it had been colder. No ice build up on the windows, so far as I remember, though I did keep one open a small crack most of the time. The noise of some nearby snow cannons was quite soothing; white noise. However, I do think sharing a cheap hotel room with a friend is a better idea! If it was snowing hard you'd need to be 1000% sure the exhause was not blocked if you left the engine running. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
junebughunter, if you do do this, and you survive to tell the tale, then we do expect a detailed trip report on snowHeads, and you will become a legend. Very Happy
ski holidays
junebughunter, If you do this and don't survive, could you please leave a note on the dash of your car (before going to sleep) so that whoever finds you can let us all know how you got on. Twisted Evil Laughing
snow report
pielot, A snowhole won't be minus that much actually, certainly a lot warmer than sleeping on top of the snow, the main factor you need to be concerned about is insulating yourself from the ground. In my experience the best way to achieve this is using a normal cheap foam roll mat and then having a thermarest on top of this, then a down sleeping bag inside a pertex bivvy bag like the Rab survival zone adn you'll be toasty warm. I know numerous people who have slept on top of the Ben for up to a week in this way in attempts to have a nice downhill start to each days climbing. However, if you dont have the kit required to do this you'll be looking at a few hundred quid so a cheap motel is probably the better option.
ski holidays
junebughunter, I slept in the car having arrived in Chamonix at 4am after a good run down. NEVER AGAIN without fully preparing. I didn't feel properly warm till the afternoon, the boots were solid, and it was a lousy start to the holiday, compounded by a nasty fall due to poor sleep and stiffness.
The guy who brought a 4 season bag was fine though.... snowHead
snow conditions
Quote:

pielot, A snowhole won't be minus that much actually

Sorry, should have been a bit clearer... it was minus a lot outside!! Norway in January....mmmm nice. You're quite right though with just a candle in there the inside temperature hovered just below zero - fine with a decent sleeping bag and a goretex bivvi to stop the drips!

FWIW, I would always find the money for a bed if there was a choice!
ski holidays
junebughunter,

Dont try it in St Anton,its illegal as it is in many Austrain resorts,
ski holidays
junebughunter, we were told next day that the night was the coldest for many years - just our luck Smile
snow report
pielot, Me too, it's worth the money just to save on the hassle.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy