Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DO CARS HIRED FROM LYON AIRPORT COME WITH CHAINS FREE OF CHARGE

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Do any of the car hire companies throw in snow tyres/chains FOC or I am better off buying a set of chains in france. Also do any car hires companies not charge extra for one extra driver

Thanks

Ken
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I suppose that depends on who you hire from. Try http://www.holidayautos.co.uk/ - they do comparative quotes from a lot of car hir companies.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just checked and snow chains are extra at €45 per rental. A one week rental of something like a Vauxhall Astra was £170 including the excess waiver.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dublin1, welcome to snowHead's most will charge extra for another driver and in france for chains, the swiss however will give you chains inc the price and winter tyres as it is the law in their counrty in winter months, problemn with buying chaions for a hire car is will they fit your car if you drive or will they fit another hire car next time

holiday autos are great sometimes but watch their insurance ....pretty basic
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dublin1, ..... welcome to snowHeads..... snowHead

It DOES depend on which company you hire from. Currently there are seven hire companies with depots at Lyon (LYS) airport.

ALL have different terms & conditions and ALL have different charging structures, even for insurances so do check all small print before you hire.

To the best of my knowledge, (last year) all charge for chains, roof racks, child seats etc, etc.

I hired quite a lot from Hertz last year, but bought my own chains. (Normally about 40 - 50 euro for a decent set) Hertz were very helpful in providing the same type of vehicle for each hire.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dublin1,

Welcome to snowHead , another irish - keep them coming

No Lyon will not give you chains as standard and in fact don't always have them in stock if you want to add them to the rental.

GF came back from France last night and had a car that she booked throught e bookers and they were offering a second driver for free as a special offer which was the reason that she used them for the car

Bernards idea of buying chains will pay dividends in the long run especially if you have somewhere to leave them in France

Personally I have never used chains as Bourg is only at 800m - Judging by conditions today however this weekend could be my first time to need chains
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In my experience, Hertz & Avis tend to include snow tyres & chains, other charge extra for these.

I did find it somewhere on the websites of the above companies.

regards,

Greg

EDIT: note I've hired from Geneva, Basel, Vienna and always have had snow tyres & chains...

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 24-01-07 15:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Last time we hired a car from Lyon chains were extra. Ended up buying a set from the hypermarket in Chamnord, and returned them (with receipt, unused and still in box) for a full refund a few days later.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I hired from Lyon in December (with Hertz via HolidayAutos), and because I normally hire from Geneva (where chains/winter tyres are included) I forgot to pay the additional 'winter pack' charge for the rental. Inevitably it snowed and because I didn't have chains I had to clear a section of road by shovel so that I could get the car out of the garage. That's a mistake I won't make again - I'll either pay extra for chains or hire from Switzerland where they come included with the rental.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whilst chains may be the law in Switzerland, Holidayautos will charge you an extra 7CHF per day payable locally, for their Snow Pack which includes chains.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
halfhand wrote:
Whilst chains may be the law in Switzerland, Holidayautos will charge you an extra 7CHF per day payable locally, for their Snow Pack which includes chains.

They might be happy to take your money, but if you decline this option at booking (and when collecting the car if it is offered) you still end up with a car with winter tyres and (most of the time) chains in the boot. I frequently rent via Holiday Autos at GVA and have never paid for winter equipment - every car has had winter tyres, and every car except one came complete with chains.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just back from Lyon on the 12th. We hired from Europcar - no charge for chains, a mate hired from Herz - charged 38€, and another from Alamo who charged 35€. Have you looked at www.carjet.org.uk who were the Which car rental company of the year last year
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

the swiss however will give you chains inc the price and winter tyres as it is the law in their counrty in winter months

not quite always. I have hired cars on the Swiss side of Geneva and had to order chains extra (and wait ages whilst they shuffled around finding them). Always check in advance. It looks as though, after these few snowy days, there's no more snow coming for ages, so chains might become rather irrelevant again for a while!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rob, I may give that a go tomorrow.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy