Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow sticking to boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This year had real problems with great lumps of icy snow sticking to my boots. Had problems in the dolomites where there are a lot of gondola lifts so was forever taking skis off. Quite often skiing with up to 12 others and was always the last to ski off because of this problem. Could'nt bang off with pole myself or scrape on the binding so had to wait for a kindly sole to whack it off for me. They are my own boots and have worn them 4 times previously and never had this problem. Begged some wax from ski hire shop, but this made no difference. Did get a bit better by end of week when conditions were warmer. Any suggestions? Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Christina1, most likely due to the snow condition - how wet/warm it is. Scraping them off on the heel of your bindings is my preferred method - a couple of good scrapes, and you can normally get most of it off.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Maybe if you remove the snow or ice from the sole of your boot when you first get on the gondola at the bottom (where it's usually warmer than at the top of the mountain), it won't have chance to freeze onto your boot by the time your reach the top.

Then the ice on the ground at the top should be too cold to stick...
Puzzled
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's quite funny, I remember that this used to be a problem for me when I was less experienced, and that it isn't now, but I can't remember when it changed, or if I do anything specific to prevent it.

I think that whenever I put my boot back in the binding, every time, I kick it across the front binding first, so that snow doesn't get any chance to accumulate. I think that little and often is the best way to clear it, rather than waiting for it to become a problem then trying to get it off. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You could try jumping in the air and simultaneously banging your feet together - I find this gets more difficult towards the end of the day... snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowy, Now that makes sense, but then I don't see everybody else doing that. My husband reckons it's because I have put on weight so that snow is compacting Shocked . Could it be that my boots are old (about 10 years)? None of this explains why it has'nt happened to me before. Perhaps the dolomites has the wrong kind of snow for my type of boots!

Hoppo, That's the sort of thing my husband would helpfully suggest.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

My husband reckons it's because I have put on weight so that snow is compacting

Was that seconds before he skied off leaving you hopping around looking for someone to take pity on you, Christina1? Helpful. I think this happens for reasons connected with the snow, not your boots or your weight. It's a knack, standing on one leg, leaning on one pole and bashing the snow off with the other. I recall reading advice, many years ago, to the effect that you should look after your expensive, important and sensitive ski bindings by NOT bashing the hell out of them kicking snow off your boots. Everybody seems to do it, but after reading that I tend to bash it with the pole instead. It does work, needs practice, and it's very annoying when you overbalance just after getting it all off....

but it's got to be easier than
Quote:

jumping in the air and simultaneously banging your feet together

then landing with both feet in the bindings, to avoid them getting covered in snow again.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Christina1, Clean the bottoms of your boots with washing up liquid, then spray a silicone based spray on the bottom. Be careful after, you'll slide all over the shop!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Thank you for the advice. Have put a note what to do next year inside boots.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Christina1, I have always had success with nonstick cooking spray, also helps in teletoe syndrom with wet snow.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy