Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

thomsonfly to Denver

Poster: A snowHead
Booked on thomsonfly from LGW to Denver

Just how bad will it be? rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well.... dunno. I can't imagine it would be any worse than flying Continental Airlines on a B757 between Newark, New Jersey, and Bristol. It's a long-distance flight on a narrow-body jet. No worries.

But Denver is a nice airport.

It's about 3 hours via car, taxi or bus to the Summit County resorts (Breckenridge, Keystone, Arapahoe Basin, Copper Mountain), a little less to Loveland or Winter Park, a little more to Vail and Beaver Creek. That's about 45 minutes more than it used to be at Denver Stapleton Airport, but what can you do?

I'm using Thomsonfly from Gatwick to Salzburg in mid-February.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The flight is no problem whatsoever, particularly when you consider the cost - tell the Yanks how much you've paid and they won't believe it. And Thomson usually fly a 767.

One problem you may encounter when you get to Denver is that you may have to wait around for the transfer coach. This is because the coaches have to park about 2 miles off site and cannot be summoned to the terminal until everyone is through immigration and has their baggage. So don't take it out on the reps because it's not their fault.

Look out for the roof of the airrport, because it's supposed to look like the Rocky Mountains.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
...Useless facts number 17459 & 17460:
Denver airport is (or was) the largest airport in the world. Not in terms of actual building, but the amount of land.
It also has one of the longest runways in the US, due to its altitude (approx 1 mile), so the big planes need longer to get their speed up with less oxygen to burn the fuel.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Denver is also known as "the wind shear capital of the world"... happy landings
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Denver airport has a huge number of prairie dogs. Fact.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Denver airport is the only airport in the world that has an express check-in lane for jellyfish.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We flew to Denver with them last year over Christmas and we were pleasantly surprised - two great flights.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
It also has one of the longest runways in the US, due to its altitude (approx 1 mile), so the big planes need longer to get their speed up with less oxygen to burn the fuel.

I would guess that less lift at given speed in the thinner atmosphere is also an issue.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SeeJay wrote:
Denver airport is the only airport in the world that has an express check-in lane for jellyfish.

You say that, but Keflavik has a Scyphozoan-only lane, which is pretty much the same thing.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
To adhere to Colorado’s very strict aviation building regulations, Denver airport contains absolutely no glass whatsoever. All of the windows are made from congealed baboon spit – which is actually very environmentally friendly.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
richmond wrote:
SeeJay wrote:

You say that, but Keflavik has a Scyphozoan-only lane, which is pretty much the same thing.

Richmond, true, but the Scyphozoan-only lane in Keflavik is only for Platinum Flying Fish card members.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Denver airport is the only airport in the world that has a exact replica build on the dark side of the moon – just in case.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SeeJay, given that Cheyenne Mountain is just down the road, that one wouldn't surprise me!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SeeJay wrote:
All of the windows are made from congealed baboon spit – which is actually very environmentally friendly.

Unfortunately, every year when the windows need replacing, the baboons insist on being flown in first class.
latest report
Due to the extremes of weather conditions at DIA, the car park is made of dolphin skins. This helps drain the rain/snow off, while giving good protection in the summer heat too. Sometimes the car park is used as a soccer pitch, and even for baseball.
It is the world's only multi-porpoise car park at an airport.
ski holidays
If you dug up Denver airport’s main runway and laid it flat, it would cover exactly the same surface area as Denver airport’s main runway. How spooky is that??????
snow report
DIA also has the tallest control tower in the world, presumably so they can spot any escaping jelly fish as quickly as possible
snow report
laundryman wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

I would guess that less lift at given speed in the thinner atmosphere is also an issue.

To be quite specific on this point: the long runway is due to the thin atmosphere, especially during the summer months when the heat thins the air even further. If you load up a B747, B777 or A340-600 to the hilt, it's the difference between getting off the ground and having a high-speed drive across the Great Plains.

As far as land area is concerned, DEN is the second-largest in the world - King Fahd International Airport holds the honour of being the largest airport in terms of land area.
ski holidays
I sit corrected.
snow conditions
Lovely airport and if flying direct, very quick to clear immigration - mainly as so few direct international flights.

If you believe the conspiracy theories, is also meant to be the home to a huge underground city which will house the New World Order
http://www.masonicinfo.com/denver.htm

EDIT This was the first site I found on Google, I'm not connected with the Masons a search on Denver International Conspiracy will get a few other sites
snow conditions
Quote:

To be quite specific on this point: the long runway is due to the thin atmosphere, especially during the summer months when the heat thins the air even further. If you load up a B747, B777 or A340-600 to the hilt, it's the difference between getting off the ground and having a high-speed drive across the Great Plains.

As far as land area is concerned, DEN is the second-largest in the world - King Fahd International Airport holds the honour of being the largest airport in terms of land area.

Just so that I can get a feel for the size of Denver International Airport how big is it using the international "size of Wales" unit?

a: Smaller than an area the size of Wales
b: Nearly as big as an area the size of Wales
c: Bigger than an area the size of Wales

Cheers!
ski holidays
Trenmold, it's 54 square miles - that's the same size as Cardiff.

(oh, and the main runway is 16,000ft long - roughly 4.8km)
snow conditions
snowaddict,

whats in inflight service like? What do you get and what costs?

Ta
snow conditions
They're not exactly short of space though are they? This remember is the new airport - the old one is down the road a few miles. When it got too small they built a new one and left the older one to handle cargo only.

Bet they wish they could do that at Heathrow!
ski holidays
Boris, actually they demolished the old one and built houses on it
ski holidays
Quote:

King Fahd International Airport holds the honour of being the largest airport in terms of land area.
Yeah but how much longer would it take to get to Vail by stretch limo? DIA's landmark "sail roof" leaks by the way which, presumably, is great for the jellyfish.
snow report
snowaddict, You must be one of the illusive few that our bosses keep telling us exist - the satisfied customer!!

hobbiteater, For my sins I happen to be a pilot for Thomsonfly (please people, don't blame me for all your bad experiences, it's not my fault, honest Laughing ) and so I hope it's not too bad for you!! Couple of people up the top of the thread mentioned you'd be on a narrow-body aircraft, but you can rest easy, it'll be on a B767 (either a -200 or a -300, for the spotters out there!!) which is pretty big, 2 aisles. We don't use the B757 or B737 for long-haul.

Unfortunately I won't be doing your flight personally as I don't do the long-haul (I'm on the B737), but seem to spend most of my life doing the short-haul ski flights at the moment - it's a real kick in the nuts to go down there and have to come straight home again without doing any skiing!! Although it's not all bad as it means I get to see how white or green the Alps are looking first hand!! So I'll probably see some of you on your way to the Alps soon.....

Anyone going to Salzburg Friday or Sunday?!?!?

Cheers

Billy M
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller wrote:
Denver is also known as "the wind shear capital of the world"... happy landings

Not helpful
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
DIA's landmark "sail roof" leaks by the way which, presumably, is great for the jellyfish.
Who do you think made the holes on the roof? Not the prairie dogs, that's for sure!
snow report
Billy M wrote:

Not this Friday, but next week I am Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Billy M wrote:

Billy M, I'm flying Thomsonfly from LGW to SZG on 16 February, for what it's worth.

Let's hope the snow gods are generous.
snow report
Good job it wasn't last Friday, FenlandSkier, as we never made it to Salzburg - you'd have ended up in Linz instead, as we couldn't get into SZG (NOT due to snow on the runway I'm sorry to say!!) and diverted.

Went there today though, and as we left it was starting to rain heavily - hopefully falling as snow in the mountains. Our dispatcher was confident that they were due snow in the early part of this week, so your timing might be good!! She seemed to think that the Kitzbuhel DH had already been cancelled, but not sure if she's right about that.

songfta, I'm off to Utah on 3rd of Feb for a couple of weeks, so fingers crossed for those snow gods to help both of us out!!
ski holidays
We flew this flight last year going to winter park. The seats are tiny with no shoulder width and even less leg room. We were able to book the bulkhead seats on the way back at £60 each, but they were already booked going out. As we arrived early and were first in the queue we were able to get the last two seats at the back of the plane where the body starts to taper in. This means that instead of three seats there are only two, with wider gangways. This meant more elbow room.
The flight itself was like every other except for having to pay extra for naff food and little in the way of drinks, bring plenty of your own. The low luggage allowance is a pain, as is having to pay to bring your skis. Just got back from Tahoe, flying with Virgin. Seats weren't much wider, but atleast had an extra inch or two of leg room. Didn't realise they also now charge for emergency exit seats. No charge for skis, but only 23kg luggage allowance.
ski holidays
Billy M, Utah should be in fine shape when you get there. I was in Utah a few weeks ago (see the pictures [url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/rudiriet/sets/72157594469950818/"]here[/url]), and the skiing was fine. The snow is a bit thin (for Utah), but the skiing was really fine, all around. And it's been snowing there quite a bit since, so my guess is that you'll have an excellent time!

How long a holiday have you booked for Utah?
ski holidays
songfta, I've seen those pics before!! Read your trip report (on another forum I think) and looking forward to following in those footsteps, or is it following in those ski tracks?

Yeah, I've been reading all the snow alerts every day and watching the webcams like a hawk, hoping for lots of snow. I see they have plenty there so I know we don't have to worry about getting some good skiing done, but it's just that you go to Utah for one reason only don't you? Well, one main reason anyway!! And it's not really looking like that just yet unfortunately, but we're keeping fingers crossed that we get as lucky as we did last year (in Whistler) and get lots of snow while we're there. I guess that if you're coming all the way from Washington to ski here in Europe next month, you're hoping for the same thing snowHead Where are you going to visit in Austria?

We're booked for 2 weeks, staying in Park City but have a rental car and the intention is to get round to all the usual places while we're there. It's our first time to Utah and can't wait. The place I'm looking forward to most is Alta, but that means convincing my mate to ditch his snowboard for a day or 2 - he's a wrong'un!!!!! Laughing

Cheers and enjoy Austria.
snow conditions
The collective noun for jellyfish is a smuck.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy